Fidonet Portal

From: Caco Byte (1:229/200)
To: All
Date: Tue, 03.03.20 08:06
Syncterm error -16
Hello everybody! I'm having a little trouble connecting to some of my favourite
BBS using SSH in Syncterm 1.1b.
I doesn't apply to every BBS I try to connect but in many cases I have this
strange error message afterwards:

Error -16 activating session
Couldn't create ECDH ephemeral key data

It only happens when trying SSH, it doesn't happnes in TELNET. Also, I see it's
independet of the system runing the BBS itself.
When I try the SSH command in a regular linux terminal I have no issues
whatsoever so, it's safe to assume my username and password are not the problem
but rather a syncterm handling the keys.

I use the lastest syncterm build for 64-bit linux in Debian 10.
Any help will be really apreciated.
Thanks a lot. Cheers!
--- SBBSecho 3.09-Linux
* Origin: electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com (1:229/200)

From: Ron Lauzon (1:275/89)
To: All
Date: Wed, 04.03.20 18:01
Re: Syncterm error -16
-=> Caco Byte wrote to All <=-

CB> Hello everybody! I'm having a little trouble connecting to some of my
CB> favourite BBS using SSH in Syncterm 1.1b.
CB> I doesn't apply to every BBS I try to connect but in many cases I have
CB> this strange error message afterwards:

CB> Error -16 activating session
CB> Couldn't create ECDH ephemeral key data

I haven't seen that when I use SyncTerm, but I only use Telnet.

The error has to do with trying to set up the SSH connection.

"ECDH" is "Elliptic-curve Diffie-Hellman" and it's a method for 2 systems to
exchange a key without transmitting the key in the clear. So that's why you
only see it with ssh. Telnet isn't encrypted. Ssh is.

CB> It only happens when trying SSH, it doesn't happnes in TELNET. Also, I
CB> see it's independet of the system runing the BBS itself.
CB> When I try the SSH command in a regular linux terminal I have no issues
CB> whatsoever so, it's safe to assume my username and password are not the
CB> problem but rather a syncterm handling the keys.

My guess is that SyncTerm is using an old library.

One thing that bit me with this at work had to do with TLS. The older TLS
versions are being deprecated.

When the systems connect, they negotiate what version of TLS they will use.
Some systems don't negotiate correctly and try to use a deprecated version of
TLS. Policies on the computer may prevent that deprecated version of TLS from
being used (either on the client or the host).

... A .45 beats a royal flush EVERY TIME
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
* Origin: Diamond Mine Online BBS bbs.dmine.net:24 (1:275/89)

From: Phillip Taylor (1:275/201.30)
To: All
Date: Thu, 04.02.21 20:05
Re: Syncterm error -16
On Wed 4-Mar-2020 7:01p, Ron Lauzon@1:275/89.0 said to Caco Byte:

RL> CB> Hello everybody! I'm having a little trouble connecting to some of my
RL> CB> favourite BBS using SSH in Syncterm 1.1b.
RL> CB> I doesn't apply to every BBS I try to connect but in many cases I
RL> have
RL> CB> this strange error message afterwards:

What version of Syncterm are you using? I may be using a older version and my
SSH is working fine here.

RL> I haven't seen that when I use SyncTerm, but I only use Telnet.

RL> The error has to do with trying to set up the SSH connection.

RL> "ECDH" is "Elliptic-curve Diffie-Hellman" and it's a method for 2 systems
RL> exchange a key without transmitting the key in the clear. So that's why
RL> you
RL> only see it with ssh. Telnet isn't encrypted. Ssh is.

That is why I switched to using SSH. Some of the issues that only happens when
I am using Syncterm is it will loose the mouse pointer and the login macro stop
working. The only to fix it the issue is to restart Syncterm.
--- CNet/5
* Origin: 1:275/201.0 (1:275/201.30)

From: T.J. Mcmillen (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Fri, 05.02.21 16:48
Re: Syncterm error -16
PT> That is why I switched to using SSH. Some of the issues that only happens w
PT> I am using Syncterm is it will loose the mouse pointer and the login macro
PT> stop working. The only to fix it the issue is to restart Syncterm.
PT> --- CNet/5

Why is EVERYONE so afraid of things? Who the hell is gonna spy on a telnet
connection? Better yet, WHAT are you doing on a BBS that you are worried you
are being spied on? Telnet is fine.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Fri, 05.02.21 17:01
Re: Syncterm error -16
On 5 Feb 21 16:48, T.J. Mcmillen said the following to Phillip Taylor:

TM> Why is EVERYONE so afraid of things? Who the hell is gonna spy on a telne
TM> connection? Better yet, WHAT are you doing on a BBS that you are worried
TM> are being spied on? Telnet is fine.

Flirting with Violet in Lord could be seen by some women as "cheating".

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Fri, 05.02.21 17:49
Re: Syncterm error -16
Re: Re: Syncterm error -16
By: T.J. Mcmillen to Phillip Taylor on Fri Feb 05 2021 04:48 pm

TM> Why is EVERYONE so afraid of things? Who the hell is gonna spy on a telnet
TM> connection? Better yet, WHAT are you doing on a BBS that you are worried
TM> you are being spied on? Telnet is fine.

Telnet is a great thing, I use it all the time.

Secure protocols are great too.

Ttyl Smile,
Al

... Please write your complaint in this box [ ] - Legibly
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Sat, 06.02.21 00:40
Re: Syncterm error -16
Re: Re: Syncterm error -16
By: SCOTT LABRECQUE to Alan Ianson on Fri Feb 05 2021 11:35 pm

SL> i wish WINS supported SSH

I'm not sure WINS is still in active development but if it is I would support
the addition of ssh if at all possible.

I'll still call a BBS that is just telnet but secure protocols are preferred.

Ttyl Smile,
Al

... I'm sure it's all clearly explained in the Zmodem DOC's
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Sat, 06.02.21 09:57
Re: Syncterm error -16
On 05 Feb 21 21:40:59, Charles Pierson said the following to T.J. Mcmillen:

CP> TM> Why is EVERYONE so afraid of things? Who the hell is gonna spy on a
CP> TM> telnet connection? Better yet, WHAT are you doing on a BBS that you
CP> TM> are worried you are being spied on? Telnet is fine.
CP>
CP> Plotting World domination? Exchanging videos of the Fido *Cs dancing naked
CP> around the Maypole? You know, the usual.

I only appear nude in videos if its tasteful and organic to the plot.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: T.J. Mcmillen (1:129/305)
To: All
Date: Sat, 06.02.21 11:33
Re: Syncterm error -16
CP> TM> Why is EVERYONE so afraid of things? Who the hell is gonna spy on a
CP> TM> telnet connection? Better yet, WHAT are you doing on a BBS that you
CP> TM> are worried you are being spied on? Telnet is fine.
CP>
CP> Plotting World domination? Exchanging videos of the Fido *Cs dancing nake
CP> around the Maypole? You know, the usual.
NA>
NA> I only appear nude in videos if its tasteful and organic to the plot.

This is odd ... I never got this message, but I got the reply you wrote.

... The four food groups.. coffee, ice cream, beer and pizza!

--- Renegade v1.22a/DOS
* Origin: The Titantic BBS Telnet - ttb.rgbbs.info (1:129/305)

From: IB JOE (1:342/200)
To: All
Date: Sat, 06.02.21 10:51
Re: Syncterm error -16
-> i wish WINS supported SSH

Me too, this is a question that Hector needs to hear though..

Joe Schweier
--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v7.0
* Origin: Joe's BBS -=joesbbs.com=- (1:342/200)

From: IB JOE (1:342/200)
To: All
Date: Sat, 06.02.21 10:54
Re: Syncterm error -16
-> Re: Re: Syncterm error -16
-> By: SCOTT LABRECQUE to Alan Ianson on Fri Feb 05 2021 11:35 pm

-> SL> i wish WINS supported SSH

-> I'm not sure WINS is still in active development but if it is I would
support
-> the addition of ssh if at all possible.

-> I'll still call a BBS that is just telnet but secure protocols are
preferred.

It is... Hector seems to put all, or most, of his effort on the web side
of the package.. Anyway... most of the BBS users just use the telnet
side..

From: SCOTT LABRECQUE (3:640/1115)
To: All
Date: Sat, 06.02.21 01:46
Re: Syncterm error -16
it's "semi active". Santronics still markets it, and offers support for
it. Trickling in are minor features, as well as stuff the remaining
enterprise customers need to keep it going. I don't forseeing him
offering SSH/RLOGIN as connection options. I'm still glad we have telnet
access ;)

--- Platinum Xpress/Win/WINServer v7.0
* Origin: EMS!BBS - FIDOnet - 3:640/1115 www.ems-bbs.com (3:640/1115)

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Sat, 06.02.21 21:42
Re: Syncterm error -16
Re: Re: Syncterm error -16
By: SCOTT LABRECQUE to Alan Ianson on Sat Feb 06 2021 01:46 am

SL> I don't forseeing him offering SSH/RLOGIN as connection options. I'm still
SL> glad we have telnet access ;)

You never know what might happen in the future. In the mean time we use what we
have.

Ttyl Smile,
Al

... Thesaurus: ancient reptile with an excellent vocabulary
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux

From: IB JOE (1:342/200)
To: All
Date: Sat, 06.02.21 22:48
Re: Syncterm error -16
-> Re: Re: Syncterm error -16
-> By: Ib Joe to Alan Ianson on Sat Feb 06 2021 10:54 am

-> IJ> It is... Hector seems to put all, or most, of his effort on the web
side
-> IJ> of the package.. Anyway... most of the BBS users just use the telnet
-> IJ> side..

-> I think it is the complexity and dependencies of ssh that holds it back.

-> Ttyl Smile,
-> Al
There is one major thing I do not like about WINServer is that the
terminal side is stuck in 1990 something... free packages like
SynchroNET and Mystic BBS have moved miles away from the 90s.

WINServer stands heads above the rest on most other aspects to BBSes,
web side, but GOD... ther terminal side needs some looking into.

Smile

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Sun, 07.02.21 00:55
Re: Syncterm error -16
On 06 Feb 21 17:24:39, Charles Pierson said the following to Nick Andre:

CP> NA> CP> Plotting World domination? Exchanging videos of the Fido *Cs danc
CP> NA> CP> around the Maypole? You know, the usual.
CP> NA>
CP> NA> I only appear nude in videos if its tasteful and organic to the plot.
CP>
CP> You had to make the cowbell stand out.

I'm not opposed to appearing nude in any videos with cowbells, either as a
plot device crucial to the story or merely something I'm playing to advance
the dramatics of the scene being filmed.

Since some take SSH with a BBS so freaking seriously, its an SSH cowbell.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Sun, 07.02.21 01:02
Re: Syncterm error -16
On 06 Feb 21 11:33:46, T.J. Mcmillen said the following to Nick Andre:

CP> Plotting World domination? Exchanging videos of the Fido *Cs dancing nake
CP> around the Maypole? You know, the usual.
NA>
NA> I only appear nude in videos if its tasteful and organic to the plot.
TM>
TM> This is odd ... I never got this message, but I got the reply you wrote.

Investigating.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Sun, 07.02.21 02:44
Re: Syncterm error -16
On 06 Feb 21 11:33:46, T.J. Mcmillen said the following to Nick Andre:

TM> This is odd ... I never got this message, but I got the reply you wrote.

Should be fixed now.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Exodus (1:124/5014.2)
To: All
Date: Sun, 07.02.21 12:28
Re: Syncterm error -16
TM> This is odd ... I never got this message, but I got the reply you wrote.
NA>
NA> Investigating.

Wow .. I never got any of these ....

... To live now, first come to terms with your past.

--- Renegade v1.22/DOS
* Origin: PB Renegade (gapbbs.rdfig.net:2424) Mesquite, Tx (1:124/5014.2)

From: T.J. Mcmillen (1:129/305)
To: All
Date: Sun, 07.02.21 14:13
Re: Syncterm error -16
TM> This is odd ... I never got this message, but I got the reply you wrote.
NA>
NA> Investigating.
E>
E> Wow .. I never got any of these ....
E>
E> ... To live now, first come to terms with your past.

Okay got these ....

... Apathy Error: Don't Bother Striking Any Key

From: Exodus (1:124/5014.2)
To: All
Date: Sun, 07.02.21 12:28
Re: Syncterm error -16
NA> Should be fixed now.

This one came thru to my BBS ... so we'll play it by ear ....

... I am free of all prejudices. I hate every one equally.