Fidonet Portal

From: Earl Truss (1:123/789)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 31.08.08 15:13
Test
Hi. Anyone out there? I stopped getting any messages a couple of months ago

--- Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6001.18000
* Origin: The Eastern Star - Fidonet Via Your Newsreader (1:123/789.0)

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 01.09.08 09:26
Re: Test
G'morning Earl,

ET> Hi. Anyone out there? I stopped getting any messages a
ET> couple of months ago ....

I'm still here, thanks to a lot of work put into Maxie BBS here in
Auckland - a total upgrade of hardware that I cannot let lie
inactive....

Anything of interest to share ?

I'm very much into the roles that the newly-discoveries 'mirror
nurons' play in programming the new born to be social intellects,
with especial attention to consciousness and the ability to read.

Give me a inch and I'll unload miles of data, experiment and
speculation ....

But back to your question - things have been quiet for sometime in
this echo, so your enquiry is very welcome !

Miles.

+--------------------Miles-Maxted-------------------+
| 116 Sunrise Avenue, North Shore City, New Zealand |
| Ph/Fx/As: ++64-9-478-3138 Mob: ++64-21-296-3891 |

___ MultiMail/Win32 v0.47

--- Maximus/2 3.01
* Origin: === Maxie BBS. Ak, NZ +64 9 444-0989 === (3:772/1)

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 13.09.08 09:34
Re: Test
G'morning Earl,

And thanks for your...

ET> Sorry. Meant to respond to you earlier but I had to go out of town and
ET> did not get back until yesterday. Glad to see that I'm not here all by
ET> myself yet.

Yet ? With a bit of luck, we'll eventually build up a better base
of users - the glass is a hundredth full, you understand....

ET> I've always been interested in how the mind works - how we are aware of
ET> ourselves, what makes an animal intelligent and all that. Not formally
ET> really but as a curiosity, I guess. My interests are more in the
ET> "hard" sciences like astronomy, physics and cosmology.

Have you had a look at Scientific American's "Mind" journal ? An
offshoot of the battle for readers between it and New Scientist in
the neuropsychology arena, its a very enlightening check on the
progress of new fMRI and like technology in re-examining the
findings of classical psychology over the last 150 years....

Technology is not far behind - there's a necklace now on sale that
picks up the electrical eddies in the neck that are generated by
conscious thought or silent reading - runs them through a
trainable network to generate voice-synthesized output to one's
cellphone, PDA or computer.... while you smile silently into the
traffic patrol's quizzical gaze.

What a wonderful time to be around as it all develops...

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 05.01.09 07:41
Re: Test
G'morning Earl,

ET> Sorry. Meant to respond to you earlier but I had to go out of town and
ET> did not get back until yesterday.

Tis the season for it - we've been North to share a New Year's
Highland Games in 35 degree centigrade sunshine with NZ's early
Scottish settler descendents and got back since I wrote..

ET Glad to see that I'm not here all by myself yet.

A very nice start to the New Year, here !

ET> I've always been interested in how the mind works - how we are aware of
ET> ourselves, what makes an animal intelligent and all that. Not formally
ET> really but as a curiosity, I guess. My interests are more in the
ET> "hard" sciences like astronomy, physics and cosmology.

I find the beauty of taking Sciam and New Scientist is simply that
one keeps reasonably up to date on most scientific news - while
diving into particular interests....

How's you year shaping up ?

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 17.01.09 10:28
Re: Test
G'morning Earl,

ET> Hi. I'm back again.

Excellent !

ET> It's been really, really cold lately here in Minnesota - -20F a few
ET> days and and -23F last night and will be close to -20F again
ET> tonight. Skies have been wonderfully clear and haze-free
ET> but of course it's much too cold to get my telescope out
ET> and stand out in the cold night air. And when it warms up
ET> enough to go outside, the clouds come around and it snows.

We're at 25 centigrade already (0925 NZSummerT) with forecasts for
30 plus - and last Wednesday night had the biggest electrical
storm out in the Gulf for 20 or 30 years.

At its height, a waterspout reached down into a holiday anchorage
and picked up a 32ft launch, dropping it upside down back in the
water to the perturbation of 2 passengers...

ET> I notice in the mornings when it's this cold and I'm
ET> outside getting ready to leave for work how loud the cars
ET> on the highway sound. Sound must travel much clearer or
ET> retain its volume for longer distances when it's this cold.

Plus the green stuff is all reflective instead of muffling noise
generally ?

What we need in 100 years of comic-book weather - ever noticed its
always pleasantly fine in the backgrounds ?

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 23.01.09 07:16
Re: Test
G'morning Earl,

MM> We're at 25 centigrade already (0925 NZSummerT) with forecasts for
MM> 30 plus - and last Wednesday night had the biggest electrical
MM> storm out in the Gulf for 20 or 30 years.

ET> You must be in mid-summer or is this unseasonably warm?

Our hottest month is February - and schools and businesses end
their annual summer holidays around the end of January (starting
end of December)... and things are warming up.

Auckland's an isthmus between the Tasman and Pacific oceans,
providing very high humidity to accentuate our seasonal
temperature extremes...

ET> Yes, I can imagine how preturbed they must have been. A 32-
ET> foot boat is not an easy thing to move around!

When raw nature stretches a muscle around here, perturbation is
the order of the moment....

I listened to a visiting lecturer discussing the mega-eruption
that created our Lake Taupo - not merely coating the Pacific
Islands with ash but reddening the skies of ancient Rome 1200yrs
ago. Even Ossie, 1400m west, got dumped on.

He told us he'd really like to witness NZ's next upcoming hyper-
eruption; on being asked where he'd like to watch from, he said
"Australia"....

Ossies call NZ "the shaky islands" when "temporary" sounds a
better fit.

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 25.01.09 09:24
Re: Test
G'morning James,

JB> I'm flanked by desert. "Humidex" doesn't see much air-time on weather

Does anybody have a formula for calculating 'humidex' ?

The weather people down here don't use it, despite Auckland
having one of the worst humidity situations in the world.

It'd be useful to extend their forecasts with a projected
'humidex'....

Thoughts ?

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 26.01.09 06:27
Re: Test
G'morning James,

JB> If I see a temperature of 30^C, and a humidity of
JB> 95%, I know it's time to spend the day in an
JB> AC environment.

Same would be true if we had AC here rather than an open house...

Prolonged trips to the ACed supermarket can give one an idea of
AC benefits on such a day .... and make you realise that there's
no point in heading for the Pacific Islands for holidays; for the
same balmy weather at home you get no revolutions and poverty...

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 28.01.09 07:38
Re: Test
G'morning Earl and James,

ET>> Isn't -40C and -40F the same? I seem to recall that that
ET>> is where the two match up. Let's see ...

JB> I recall hearing that they are *very* close at -40, but the actual
JB> intersection happens at something like 39.8.

With respect, I've heard them say that 1 + 1 = 3 when the true
value of 1 approaches 1.49999999 - c'est beaucoup vrai, n'est ce
pas ?

ET> It comes from the fact that 0C is the same as 32F
ET> and 100C is the same as 212F - the freezing and boiling
ET> points of water.

ET> (212 - 32) / 100
ET> 180 / 100
ET> 18 / 10
ET> 9 / 5

Exactly...

Very nicely demonstrated ... and saved for instructional purposes
- thanks for posting it !

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 30.01.09 06:54
Re: Test
G'morning Earl,

ET> Yes, 1 + 1 = 3 for sufficiently large values of 1.

You'd appreciate "Professor Stewart's Compemdium of Mathematical
Curosities" out of Profile/Basic Books...

ET>> (212 - 32) / 100
ET>> 180 / 100
ET>> 18 / 10
ET>> 9 / 5

ET> Actually, I thought of another difference...
ET> Yes, here it is. The original definition of the gram: "the
ET> absolute weight of a volume of pure water equal to the cube
ET> of the hundredth part of a metre, and at the temperature of
ET> melting ice (later 4 oC)".

And you need nice linear scales describing temperature in order to
detect and explain the interesting behaviour of water as its
temperature is taken from 5 to -5 degrees Centigrade - or from 41
to 23 degrees Fahrenheit...

The two have a 100% correlation, as described by the formula...

Otherwise there's the danger of saying causation to the phenomena
- that the behaviour of water sets the temperature.

The relationship of age and wisdom cannot mean that measured
maturity causes wiseness...

Miles

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 02.02.09 14:43
Re: Test
MM> I listened to a visiting lecturer discussing the mega-eruption
MM> that created our Lake Taupo - not merely coating the Pacific
MM> Islands with ash but reddening the skies of ancient Rome 1200yrs
MM> ago. Even Ossie, 1400m west, got dumped on.

Beware for scientists claiming that ...

In 406AD the Rhine completely froze and an unprecedented number of Germanic
tribes unexpectedly crossed signifying the beginning of the end of the Roman
Empire.

Depending on the school one follows 406AD will be established as the fall of
the Roman Empire or 476Ad when the last puppet-emperor Romulus Agustus was
deposed by Germanic mercenaries who were already running the show since 406.

I belong to the line of thought accepting 406AD as the fall of the Roman
Empire.

However, whatever the date it is 1500-1600 years ago, not 1200 as your
scientist claims.

If he tries to salvage himself by claiming he was talking about the Eastern
Roman Ampire, thatone collapsed in 1453AD, 556 years ago ... still not 1200.

\%/@rd

--- lighthouse-dcd.org
* Origin: Officer, I swear to drunk I am not God !! (2:292/854)

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 03.02.09 06:59
Re: Test
G'morning Ward,

WD> Beware for scientists claiming that ...
WD> However, whatever the date it is 1500-1600 years ago, not
WD> 1200 as your scientist claims.

Beware of Maxted's memory, would be a better caution...

WD> If he tries to salvage himself by claiming he was talking
WD> about the Eastern Roman Ampire, thatone collapsed in
WD> 1453AD, 556 years ago ... still not 1200.

The thing that stuck in my mind was that the sky colouring was
documented in Roman records; the 1200 is most likely provoked by
estimates of the arrival of the first Maori settlers in New
Zealand - a timing much discussed here...

Consider a map of NZ's North Island; its middle is marked by the
prominent Lake Taupo, an inland sea... this in fact is the
crater left by the earlier eruption, with the surrounding
countryside the normal accoutrements of one volcanic vent - in a
line of smaller efforts making up the mountains of the central
plateau....

Best to be in a neighbouring country when that goes off again.

Smile

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 03.02.09 08:01
Re: Test
G'morning again, Ward,

WD> Beware for scientists claiming that ...

Being uncertain of my own claims, I checked and found a best date
of 181 for the last major eruption of Taupo, when it ejected an
estimated 30 cubic kilometres of material in the first few minutes
- and another 70 cubic kms overall to make one of the 3 biggest
eruptions in the last 5,000 years world-wide.

The sky colourations were recorded in both Rome and China, and
its caldera created a lake the size of Singapore.

The penultimate of 28 eruptions on this site, the 181 devastated
most of the North Island and deposited ash all over Australasia -
but it wasn't the biggest by far.

The whole structure was first created by an eruption 28,000 years
ago which blew out an estimated 1,120 cubic kms of material and
caused the surrounding countryside to collapse in forming the
original caldera.

No wonder NZ is called the Shaky Isles ... my garden and I could
drop in on you anytime now....

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 03.02.09 14:43
Re: Test
RW> Nothing that you've just mentioned would have any effect on what happened
RW> in the skys over Rome at the time. Rome still existed after the fall of
RW> the Empire.

I'm affraid you missed the complete point I was making. Miles didn't.

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 02.05.09 18:32
Re: Test
G'evening Doug, again,

JB>> I'm flanked by desert. "Humidex" doesn't see much air-time on weather

Good place for cocooning aircraft ?

MM> It'd be useful to extend their forecasts with a projected
MM> 'humidex'....

DC> I would think it should be tied in with the "wind chill" index they
DC> use.

Especially when the southeries blow up an Antarctic storm on us...

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 25.06.09 09:09
Re: Test
G'morning Doug and Paul,

DC> Earl Truss -> Doug Connor wrote:
MM>> Does anybody have a formula for calculating 'humidex' ?

MM>>> The weather people down here don't use it, despite Auckland
MM>>> having one of the worst humidity situations in the world.

MM>>> It'd be useful to extend their forecasts with a projected
MM>>> 'humidex'....

MM>>> Thoughts ?

DC>> I would think it should be tied in with the "wind chill" index they
ET> use.

ET> Our TV weather reports in the Midwest US do include a "heat index" which
ET> is what I think you are talking about. They give the actual temperature
ET> and then a temperature that "it feels like" which includes an adjustment
ET> for the relative humidity.

DC> Yes I believe thats the ticket Smile

DC> hehe as I sit here with the door open, It's around 70*F here.
DC> It seems a little warmer as the humidity is about 60% (rained today).

Now there's a thread from way back....

We're four days past our shortest day here, and although official
temperatures for Aucklnad haven't reached 0c, I've had to free
the iced-up wipers from a frozen windscreen with bucketted
water...

Sunrise, sunset was 0734, 1714 and its been fine for a fortnight -
with humidity running between 70 to 80%....

Ah the joys of the allegedly sub-tropical South Sea Islander...

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 26.06.09 08:04
Re: Test
G'morning Paul,

MM> Ah the joys of the allegedly sub-tropical South Sea Islander...
PQ> Baaaaaaahh...

PQ> * Origin: Quinn's Post - Maryborough, Queensland, OZ
(3:640/384)

Hah... did you realise that NZ has 37.9 million sheep ?

Even if 4.2 million of them are human ?

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 26.06.09 08:16
Re: Test
G'morning Doug,

MM> Ah the joys of the allegedly sub-tropical South Sea Islander...

DC> aw yea it even gets cold there Smile

Believe it; back in '57 I took up a teaching job in the Far North
of NZ, aka "The Winterless North", part of which was to drive a
miniature Bedford school bus around the volcanic district to
collect kids.

In the winter term, black ice often appeared on the hilly roads to
make life most interesting.... mind-boggling.

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 28.06.09 09:38
Re: Test
G'morning Doug,

DC> Oh yes i am familiar with black ice. it tends to start out the
DC> winter driveing season.

Usually when you least expect it...

For us down here, that's when driving south; State Highway 1
runs the length of the country, climbing up to the mountains...
even in summer up there, the stuff lurks in the deep shadows
created by a switch-back road.

Great fun when running a military convoy through the area...

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 28.06.09 09:44
Re: Test
G'morning again Doug,

DC> Aw man not hard to find a date for saturday night. Smile
DC> alright enough teaseing from me.

Kiwis are used to it ... it goes with the woolley hats, the
gumboots and the lamb-burgers.

But they keep us off the poverty-line; NZ lamb is exported
everwhere....