Fidonet Portal

From: Grant Taylor (1:396/4)
To: Robin (2:221/1.10)
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 12:57
Re: Asus Wireless AP WL-330gE
From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net>

On 06/15/2018 06:25 PM, Barbara wrote:
> But it sounds likely. I expect someone who knows what they're doing
> could set up a second router to do exactly the same thing that the wifi
> adapters do. Instead of transmitting it would be wirelessly receiving
> then could be wired (ethernet) to the wifi deprived unit.

Yep. I've done that very thing.

SOHO wireless routers were coming in somewhere around $100 at the time
and gaming adapters were closer to $60.

Granted the SOHO wireless routers had more functionality, including a
four (or more) port switch. So you did get more for your money. But
most of the people needing gaming adapters didn't want to pay for more
that they weren't using.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

From: Barbara (1:396/4)
To: Robin (2:221/1.10)
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 12:57
Re: Asus Wireless AP WL-330gE
From: "Barbara" <bca.1824@knot.gmail.com>

On Sat, 16 Jun 2018 01:32:27 UTC, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net>
wrote:

> On 06/15/2018 06:25 PM, Barbara wrote:
> > But it sounds likely. I expect someone who knows what they're doing
> > could set up a second router to do exactly the same thing that the wifi
> > adapters do. Instead of transmitting it would be wirelessly receiving
> > then could be wired (ethernet) to the wifi deprived unit.
>
> Yep. I've done that very thing.
>
> SOHO wireless routers were coming in somewhere around $100 at the time
> and gaming adapters were closer to $60.
>
> Granted the SOHO wireless routers had more functionality, including a
> four (or more) port switch. So you did get more for your money. But
> most of the people needing gaming adapters didn't want to pay for more
> that they weren't using.

I'm using a little 5 port NetGear fast ethernet switch box to do that. TP-Link

adapter is connected to that along with two wifi-less computers. Room for two
more. Cost for the adapter and the switch box might be close to that of an
inexpensive router, but it does what I want it to do.

--
Barbara
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Grant Taylor (1:396/4)
To: Robin (2:221/1.10)
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 12:57
Re: Asus Wireless AP WL-330gE
From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net>

On 06/15/2018 10:23 PM, Barbara wrote:
> I'm using a little 5 port NetGear fast ethernet switch box to do that.
> TP-Link adapter is connected to that along with two wifi-less computers.
> Room for two more.

*nod*

That works too.

> Cost for the adapter and the switch box might be close to that of an
> inexpensive router,

I'm sort of surprised that the two pieces of equipment are not more
expensive than one more complicated. But that may just be the markets
that I've been haunting. (My loss.Wink

> but it does what I want it to do.

Sounds like a perfectly viable solution to me. Smile

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

From: T. (1:396/4)
To: Robin (2:221/1.10)
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 12:57
Re: Asus Wireless AP WL-330gE
From: "T." <nospam@godawa.invalid>

Wayne A Smith schrieb:
> Trying to economize I decided to try the subject which I have had sitting
here for a long time but never used. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get access
to its internal browser in order to configure it.

I have the 330N3G and, at least, after configuring it "somewhere else"
(long time ago, probably with Linux or MacOS), I was able to use it as
ethernet-2-wifi-bridge with eCS on my ThinkPad.

So yours might work too.

I would try to reset the router, set OS/2 to DHCP, then you might get an
ip-address to configure it as wifi-bridge.

But don't ask me "how", it was easy and just worked ...
--

Gruesse,

Thorolf
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Paul Ratcliffe (1:396/4)
To: Robin (2:221/1.10)
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 12:57
Re: Asus Wireless AP WL-330gE
From: Paul Ratcliffe <abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78>

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 10:14:49 -0700 (PDT), Wayne A Smith
<waynea.smith4@gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Thanks. Your comment caused me to realize that perhaps I should try to see
if I could reconfigure the IP address of the subject.

> The Asus default IP for logging into it is <192.168.1.220>. My router
address is <192.168.254.254>. This was the reason for the discrepancy.

> I went to my T60 box where I installed the setup files for it under XP, and
fiddled w/ it and changed the IP to <192.168.254.40>.

> I went back to the T540p, hooked up the subject to it, and booted into
ArcaOS. Opening Seamonkey and entering the new IP, Lo-and-Behold, it opened
into the Asus configuration screen! This was a first!

> I then fiddled w/ changing the settings, and changing <setup.cmd> and <hosts>
>
> ifconfig lan0 192.168.254.40 netmask 255.255.255.0 metric 1 mtu 1500
> REM ifconfig lan1 metric 1 mtu 1500
> REM ifconfig lan2 metric 1 mtu 1500
> REM ifconfig lan3 metric 1 mtu 1500
> REM ifconfig lan4 metric 1 mtu 1500
> REM ifconfig lan5 metric 1 mtu 1500
> REM ifconfig lan6 metric 1 mtu 1500
> REM ifconfig lan7 metric 1 mtu 1500
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> route add default 192.168.254.254 -hopcount 1
> route add -net 54 192.168.254.254 -hopcount 1
> ipgate off
>

> 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost
> 192.168.254.254 router router
> 192.168.254.40 asus-ap asus-ap
>
> Unfortunately, when I still couldn't get connection w/ the router, I went
back to the Asus configuration but Seamonkey wouldn't access it ... :=(((

> I guess I somehow marfed up the subject, and will have to go back to the T60
and CD to see if I can restore it somehow. (Given other work, and that using
the T60 now is a pain since I have to hook-up an external monitor to it - due
to a bad system board or inverter board - I'm going to wait until the weekend
to fiddle some more.

> But at least there has been some progress ...

I don't quite understand what you are trying to do (and I'm fairly sure
you don't either).
Put both the PC and the Asus in the same subnet and connect them both to a
switch.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Wayne A Smith (1:396/4)
To: Robin (2:221/1.10)
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 12:57
Re: Asus Wireless AP WL-330gE
From: Wayne A Smith <waynea.smith4@gmail.com>

Paul, As to the second assumption, you are most definitely correct ... ;=

WinkWinkWink I of course have had some experience w/ TCP/IP configuration but st=
ill have to be considered a novice.

I decided to go w/ the TP-Link Nano Router. (It seems to me that it was do=
ubtful the Asus AP could be configured to use any address other than 192.16=
8.1.xxx.Wink

I was able to access and configure the internal browser through Windows 7, =
and assigned it a static IP of 192.168.254.45; I had no problem w/ it chang=
ing from the default of 192.168.1.xxx. After saving the configuration and =
logging out I can now log in using that IP; so it seems this part I did rig=
ht.

Under Arca I now have <setup.cmd> and <hosts> configured as follows:

route -fh
arp -f
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
ifconfig lan0 192.168.254.45 netmask 255.255.255.0 metric 1 mtu 1500
REM ifconfig lan1 metric 1 mtu 1500
REM ifconfig lan2 metric 1 mtu 1500
REM ifconfig lan3 metric 1 mtu 1500
REM ifconfig lan4 metric 1 mtu 1500
REM ifconfig lan5 metric 1 mtu 1500
REM ifconfig lan6 metric 1 mtu 1500
REM ifconfig lan7 metric 1 mtu 1500
REM ifconfig sl0
REM dhcpstrt -i lan0 -d 0
REM ifconfig lan0 192.168.1.220 netmask 255.255.255.0 alias
route add default 192.168.254.254 -hopcount 1
ipgate off

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost
192.168.254.254 router
192.168.254.45 tp-link nano

But something is wrong and I don't know what. On boot I do not receive any=
error message that a route can't be found (or defined). However both Fire=
fox and Seamonkey refuse to connect to 192.168.254.45, Ping refuses a conne=
ction, and <netstat -r> shows no route.

I'm sure I'm making it more difficult than I have to, but I'm lost on this =
now.

From: Wayne A Smith (1:396/4)
To: Robin (2:221/1.10)
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 12:57
Re: Asus Wireless AP WL-330gE
From: Wayne A Smith <waynea.smith4@gmail.com>

OK, I think I have identified part of the problem. It was in <protocol.ini=
> (I also modified <RESOLV2> to include both "domain netgear.com
nameserver 192.168.254.254", but this didn't help.

I removed the TCP/IP and NetBios over TCPIP protocols and added the NDIS Fi=
lter protocol instead. I now receive routes using <netstat -r> of

destination router netmask metric flags in=
trf

111.1.2.0 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 0 UH =
dod
111.1.2 111.1.2 255.255.255.0 0 UP =
dod
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 0 UH =
lo
192.168.254 192.168.254.45 255.255.255.0 0 UC l=
an0

and can ping 192.168.254.45. I still can't open the internal browser for t=
he AP, but that's probably a problem w/ my Firewall configuration; I'll hav=
e to play w/ it.

;

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: Robin (2:221/1.10)
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 12:57
Re: Asus Wireless AP WL-330gE
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

Wayne A Smith wrote:
> I decided to go w/ the TP-Link Nano Router. (It seems to me that it was
doubtful the Asus AP could be configured to use any address other than
192.168.1.xxx.Wink

> I was able to access and configure the internal browser through Windows 7,
and assigned it a static IP of 192.168.254.45; I had no problem w/ it changing
from the default of 192.168.1.xxx. After saving the configuration and logging
out I can now log in using that IP; so it seems this part I did right.

> Under Arca I now have <setup.cmd> and <hosts> configured as follows:
>
> route -fh
> arp -f
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> ifconfig lan0 192.168.254.45 netmask 255.255.255.0 metric 1 mtu 1500

I'm not an expert but if I understand correctly, you've given the router
or the Nano an address of 192.168.254.45 and then given the same address
to your computer's first Ethernet port (lan0).
If you're going with static addresses, then your ifconfig lan0 line
needs something like 192.168.254.40 (last number whatever besides 255 or 0).
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Paul Ratcliffe (1:396/4)
To: Robin (2:221/1.10)
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 12:57
Re: Asus Wireless AP WL-330gE
From: Paul Ratcliffe <abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78>

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 11:54:56 -0700 (PDT), Wayne A Smith
<waynea.smith4@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was able to access and configure the internal browser through Windows 7,
> and assigned it a static IP of 192.168.254.45;

> Under Arca I now have <setup.cmd> and <hosts> configured as follows:
>
> ifconfig lan0 192.168.254.45 netmask 255.255.255.0 metric 1 mtu 1500

As Dave has already said, you need to give the PC a different address
to whatever this device is you're trying to configure.
One needs to be 192.168.254.xxx and the other 192.168.254.yyy
where xxx is NOT EQUAL to yyy.

You would be well advised to read up on networking fundamentals
before going any further.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Robert Wolfe (1:396/4)
To: Robin (2:221/1.10)
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 12:57
Re: Asus Wireless AP WL-330gE
From: robert.wolfe@wildcat.uuhec.net (Robert Wolfe)

-> I have ArcaOS 5.0.2 installed on a Thinkpad T540p. Unfortunately the
-> yet no driver for the Wireless NIC.

Have you tried contacting ArcaNoae about this? Or even tried the GenMac
packages from ECS 2.x?

-> For further information, though I have the InJoy Firewall installed,
-> I Whit= e Listed the IP address for the subject, 192.168.1.220, but
-> it didn't help.= Also, even trying to access this address from
-> Windows 7 yielded an error = message. (I was though, on another box
-> w/ XP installed, able to access the= internal browser, _after_
-> running the configuration setup from the CD, so = I _don't think_
-> the subject is just broken.Wink

What happens when you disable the InJoy firewall?
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Wayne A Smith (1:396/4)
To: Robin (2:221/1.10)
Date: Sun, 14.06.20 12:57
Re: Asus Wireless AP WL-330gE
From: Wayne A Smith <waynea.smith4@gmail.com>

On Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 5:53:04 PM UTC-4, Robert Wolfe wrote:
> -> I have ArcaOS 5.0.2 installed on a Thinkpad T540p. Unfortunately the
> -> yet no driver for the Wireless NIC.
>
> Have you tried contacting ArcaNoae about this? Or even tried the GenMac
> packages from ECS 2.x?

I had opened a ticket on Mantis, and Arcanoae is aware of the issue; they a=
re in the process of trying to port the Windows or Linux driver but have no=
timetable for completion. The GenMac updates then wouldn't do any good si=
nce there is no comparable driver for the NIC. I played around after insta=
llation w/ some possible substitutes but w/ no success; it allowed me then =
to add the XWLAN Widget, but there was no driver I could select.

> -> For further information, though I have the InJoy Firewall installed,
> -> I Whit
e Listed the IP address for the subject, 192.168.1.220, but
> -> it didn't help.
Also, even trying to access this address from
> -> Windows 7 yielded an error
message. (I was though, on another box
> -> w/ XP installed, able to access the
internal browser, _after_
> -> running the configuration setup from the CD, so
I _don't think_
> -> the subject is just broken.Wink
>
> What happens when you disable the InJoy firewall?

Yeah, that is one of the other tasks on my agenda. (I have been tied up w/=
a number of projects during the last three weeks - which overlapped the ki=
nd responses of Dave and Paul - and just haven't had time to reflect to sor=
t out the problem.Wink

IIRC changing the protocols can not infrequently corrupt <protocol.ini> and=
I guess that is why I have been slow to investigate this. Of course I can=
always save the current file under a new name so this shouldn't really be =
an obstacle.

After the DUH epiphany due to the messages from Dave and Paul I have differ=
ent IP addresses for the NIC and AP and can now successfully open the brows=
er in the AP and make necessary changes. It can see the DSL router and its=
MAC address so that seems I have made some of the necessary changes. But =
the light on the AP keeps blinking, indicating it's not connected. (The sa=
me WPA2 key was inserted in the AP router, so I'm quite sure that is not th=
e problem.Wink

So my guess is that there is either some configuration modification I have =
to make in either the DSL router or in InJoy. I just haven't had time to s=
it back and figure out the cause and which avenue is likely to be more prof=
itable to solve it.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2