Fidonet Portal

From: Alexey Vissarionov (2:5020/545)
To: All
Date: Wed, 03.02.21 14:57
2021 FTSC Standing Member Election -
Good ${greeting_time}, Nick!

03 Feb 2021 08:02:56, you wrote to All:

AL>> Ozz Nixon 1:275/362
NA> He has emailed me with a desire to remain, if that is possible.
NA> I strongly recommend RC's nominate him as I have seen his work
NA> firsthand, and he had a terrific idea for a "roadmap" to assist
NA> new Fido developers get their feet wet. He is able to actually
NA> contribute something technically.

Actually, we don't need people who are _able_ to contribute "something
technically"... Instead, we need people who _do_ contribute.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
gremlin.ru!gremlin; +vii-cmiii-ccxxix-lxxix-xlii

... god@universe:~ # cvs up && make world
--- /bin/vi
* Origin: ::1 (2:5020/545)

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Wed, 03.02.21 09:20
Re: 2021 FTSC Standing Member Election -
-=> Alexey Vissarionov wrote to Nick Andre <=-

AV> Actually, we don't need people who are _able_ to contribute
AV> "something technically"... Instead, we need people who _do_
AV> contribute.

Damn good point.

"Good intentions" accomplish.............. nothing.

... All the easy problems have been solved.
=== MultiMail/Linux v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
* Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (1:123/115)

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Wed, 03.02.21 12:26
On 03 Feb 21 16:36:36, Alexey Vissarionov said the following to Nick Andre:

AV> Actually, we don't need people who are _able_ to contribute "something
AV> technically"... Instead, we need people who _do_ contribute.

Great, lets give him the chance...

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Carol Shenkenberger (1:275/100)
To: All
Date: Thu, 04.02.21 18:08
Re: 2021 FTSC Standing Member Election -
Re: Re: 2021 FTSC Standing Member Election -
By: Nick Andre to Andrew Leary on Tue Feb 02 2021 09:07 am

> On 02 Feb 21 02:33:28, Andrew Leary said the following to All:
>
> AL> Nick Andre 1:229/426
>
> I'll stick around for another term if possible.
>
> Nick

Now we need an RC to do the honors (grin, should be easy).

xxcarol
--- SBBSecho 2.11-Win32
* Origin: SHENK'S EXPRESS telnet://shenks.synchro.net (1:275/100)

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Fri, 05.02.21 04:13
Re: 2021 FTSC Standing Member Election -
On 05 Feb 21 07:40:00, Alexey Vissarionov said the following to August Abolins

AV> 6. Nick Andre
AV> Nothing.

I'd rather engage in nothing but being on stand-by for tech chat, than your
lovely message thread in FTSC once upon a time about Tom Jennings being a
"faggot". You were called out on this by several and I seem to recall you
quickly retreated to the field of crickets chirping.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Sun, 07.02.21 00:08
On 07 Feb 21 02:20:00, Alexey Vissarionov said the following to Nick Andre:

AV> Besides of disclosing the message posted in a private FTSC echoarea (and
AV> cherry-picking it out of the thread, of course), you are missing one very
AV> important point: TJ had done something for the Fidonet, while you had done
AV> nothing, and even hurt a little.

LOL, it wasn't from a "private" echoarea, it was all from here.

I'll be sure to re-post this every time you run your mouth at election
time about who contributes what. You sure gave all of us yours...

Date: 8:19 pm Sat Nov 10, 2018 Number : 6284 of 7936
From: Alexey Vissarionov Base : Fidonet/FTSC_PUBLIC
To : Ward Dossche Refer #: None
Subj: FTS-1 and FTS-4 Replies: None
Stat: Sent Origin : 11 Nov 18 03:14:16

Good ${greeting_time}, Ward!

11 Nov 2018 00:01:18, you wrote to me:

AV>> Yes. And now it's time to actualize it.
WD> Interesting. Both Randy Bush and Tom Jennings have just threatened
WD> to sue me if I endorse updating FTS-1.

Do you care of those faggots?

WD> Let's do it ... Smile

... and do that so that they would die in agony of envy Smile

Your words, not mine. And heres another little gem amongst some of the flamage
you received from other developers:

Date: 6:36 am Mon Nov 12, 2018 Number : 6309 of 7937
From: Alexey Vissarionov Base : Fidonet/FTSC_PUBLIC
To : Rob Swindell Refer #: None
Subj: FTS-1 and FTS-4 Replies: None
Stat: Sent Origin : 12 Nov 18 14:27:14

Good ${greeting_time}, Rob!

11 Nov 2018 14:36:58, you wrote to me:

>> WD> Interesting. Both Randy Bush and Tom Jennings have just threatened
>> WD> to sue me if I endorse updating FTS-1.
>> Do you care of those faggots?
RS> Here in America, that's a pretty derogatory description to assign to
RS> someone. I don't care whether they are homosexual or not, but I don't
RS> think that disparagement is justified. Sad

People who threaten to sue others for "copyright infringement" (whatever that
could mean) deserve even more derogatory words. Alas, my English is not that
good, and I don't know these words.

And, once again, I'm happy I don't live in USA.

Ahh yes, fantastic "contributions" from you and the classic "my English is not
good" card others have pulled in the past when going down in flames. Yet you
seem to articulate yourself extremely well when it comes to shoving your tech
proposals down someone's throat or how much you hate America or anyone who is
not a super Linux hacker in a hooded sweater listening to techno music.

Perhaps you should brush up on interaction-skills-101 before attempting to
contribute anything else to that magical planet of human beings let alone
attempting to engage in penis comparison contest.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Sun, 07.02.21 12:29
Re: 2021 FTSC Standing Member Election -
On 07 Feb 21 18:42:04, Stas Mishchenkov said the following to Carol
Shenkenberg

SM> if will properly documented by the FTSC. However, to date, the PKT and MSG
SM> standard is still documented in FTS-0001, which is now practically not used
SM> anyone and the widely used corresponding formats are not documented. Does i

I'm not sure where you get your facts from but FTS-0001 is used here.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Sun, 07.02.21 16:02
On 07 Feb 21 18:31:57, Oli said the following to Nick Andre:

O> Which part of it? Which PKT formats are used by your system? Please point to
O> the FTSs that describe these formats.

As per FTS-0001.016. Application B section 1 - Message storage. Section 2 -
Schedules and events, specifically ZMH as I have a dialup modem line.

Application C - Presentation Layer section 1. Compatible packed message.

Application D - Session layer. All sections. All specification supported here.

Application F - Network layer. All sections. Everything supported here.

Application G - Data Link Layer. All sections. Everything accepted here.

Several more FTS's supported here not to mention EMSI which was invented by
both Joaquim Homrighausen and the original D'Bridge author. But I added the
frosting on the cake by directly integrating with the BinkD protocol specs so
this system really is both a "true" hybrid dialup and Internet system.

That was done with the help of Ward Dossche... the guy whom I was told horror
stories about and was called every name in the book, but has always been very
nice to trade banter with. The guy who helped in July 2018 when I inherited a
total mess from my ZC predecessor. You know, the one you cozy up with in
Fidogazette. I rewrote that mess in two nights to make it "work". You know, to
produce correct nodelists on time. But sure lets talk about FTS-0001...

So you may connect here using BinkD or make an international dialup modem call
to Toronto Canada and connect as low as 300 baud to an IBM 7855 and initiate
a minimal Xmodem or Telink session if you wanted to. Maybe you prefer Yoohoo
handshaking? Or try your hand at some WaZOO or Bark hackery?

I still receive the occasional dialup BBS call but for the sake of this
discussion the last "serious" downlink I had that did Fido via. dialup was a
non-profit BBS geared towards disabled/handicapped chatter that was running
Wildcat and ViaMail on a 386 PC polling here at 2400 baud several times a
day. That was probably... uhhhh I'm guessing only 5 or 6 years ago and for
some reason Telink worked better than EMSI but to be fair that was being done
over a VOIP setup at the time.

Now the troll says what?

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Mon, 08.02.21 10:25
On 08 Feb 21 16:54:04, Stas Mishchenkov said the following to Nick Andre:

SM> NA> I'm not sure where you get your facts from but FTS-0001 is used here.
SM>
SM> Where is it used?

On this system.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Tue, 09.02.21 07:23
On 09 Feb 21 10:19:30, Stas Mishchenkov said the following to Nick Andre:

SM> SM>> here.
SM> SM>>
SM> SM>> Where is it used?
SM>
SM> NA> On this system.
SM>
SM> Ah. Then, of course, it should not be brought in line with reality.

What does that mean?

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Tue, 09.02.21 08:07
On 09 Feb 21 10:48:55, Oli said the following to Nick Andre:

O> Are you intentionally avoiding the other questions?
O> Or do you have a short attention span and cannot resist the immediate urge t
O> babble about the cool dude you think you are and how others suck?

Well for starters your nodelist-police Fido uplink happily mooches everything
from here so that makes me a "cool dude" for running a system that allows you
the freedom to be a douchebag character posting with one-name.

Which other questions? Elements of FTS-0001 are used on this system. What is
so wrong about that? I very politely answered your loaded questions with
cited sections that you asked for and gave perspective as to how things work
here. I didn't have to reply at all but did because you asked. You're welcome.

Now the troll says what?

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464)
To: All
Date: Tue, 09.02.21 14:43
Re: 2021 FTSC Standing Member Election -
Hi Nick,

On 2021-02-09 07:07:59, you wrote to Oli:

NA> Well for starters your nodelist-police Fido uplink happily mooches
NA> everything from here so that makes me a "cool dude" for running a
NA> system that allows you the freedom to be a douchebag character posting
NA> with one-name.

Maybe you should check your config before you make such claims. I haven't had
any connections to echomail or file areas on your system for almost a year...

NA> Now the troll says what?

Your persistence to insult anyone who doesn't agree with your world view, says
more about you then the ones you try to insult...

Bye, Wilfred.

--- FMail-lnx64 2.1.0.18-B20170815
* Origin: FMail development HQ (2:280/464)

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Tue, 09.02.21 09:58
On 09 Feb 21 14:14:21, Wilfred Van Velzen said the following to Nick Andre:

WV> Maybe you should check your config before you make such claims. I haven't h
WV> any connections to echomail or file areas on your system for almost a year.

So you say, but God help everyone if the nodelist is incorrect... right?

WV> Your persistence to insult anyone who doesn't agree with your world view, s
WV> more about you then the ones you try to insult...

Its pretty simple. When someone questions me politely, I respond accordingly.

When someones questions are loaded with attitude or a stupid agenda or the
person has trolled me elsewhere for quite some time, I respond accordingly.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464)
To: All
Date: Tue, 09.02.21 18:58

On 2021-02-09 08:58:14, you wrote to me:

WV>> Maybe you should check your config before you make such claims. I
WV>> haven't h any connections to echomail or file areas on your system
WV>> for almost a year.

NA> So you say,

I send the disconnect message myself and got a reply from your areafix, so
there is no doubt...

From: Carol Shenkenberger (1:275/100)
To: All
Date: Thu, 11.02.21 22:44
Re: 2021 FTSC Standing Member Election -
Re: Re: 2021 FTSC Standing Member Election -
By: Nick Andre to Alexey Vissarionov on Sat Feb 06 2021 11:08 pm

> On 07 Feb 21 02:20:00, Alexey Vissarionov said the following to Nick Andre:
>
> AV> Besides of disclosing the message posted in a private FTSC echoarea (and
> AV> cherry-picking it out of the thread, of course), you are missing one ver
> AV> important point: TJ had done something for the Fidonet, while you had do
> AV> nothing, and even hurt a little.
>
> LOL, it wasn't from a "private" echoarea, it was all from here.
>
> I'll be sure to re-post this every time you run your mouth at election
> time about who contributes what. You sure gave all of us yours...
>
> Date: 8:19 pm Sat Nov 10, 2018 Number : 6284 of 7936
> From: Alexey Vissarionov Base : Fidonet/FTSC_PUBLIC
> To : Ward Dossche Refer #: None
> Subj: FTS-1 and FTS-4 Replies: None
> Stat: Sent Origin : 11 Nov 18 03:14:16
>
> Good ${greeting_time}, Ward!
>
> 11 Nov 2018 00:01:18, you wrote to me:
>
> AV>> Yes. And now it's time to actualize it.
> WD> Interesting. Both Randy Bush and Tom Jennings have just threatened
> WD> to sue me if I endorse updating FTS-1.
>
> Do you care of those faggots?
>
> WD> Let's do it ... Smile
>
> ... and do that so that they would die in agony of envy Smile
>

> Your words, not mine. And heres another little gem amongst some of the flama
> you received from other developers:
>
> Date: 6:36 am Mon Nov 12, 2018 Number : 6309 of 7937
> From: Alexey Vissarionov Base : Fidonet/FTSC_PUBLIC
> To : Rob Swindell Refer #: None
> Subj: FTS-1 and FTS-4 Replies: None
> Stat: Sent Origin : 12 Nov 18 14:27:14
>
> Good ${greeting_time}, Rob!

> >> Do you care of those faggots?
> RS> Here in America, that's a pretty derogatory description to assign to
> RS> someone. I don't care whether they are homosexual or not, but I don't
> RS> think that disparagement is justified. Sad
>
> People who threaten to sue others for "copyright infringement" (whatever tha
> could mean) deserve even more derogatory words. Alas, my English is not that
> good, and I don't know these words.
>
> And, once again, I'm happy I don't live in USA.

> Ahh yes, fantastic "contributions" from you and the classic "my English is n
> good" card others have pulled in the past when going down in flames. Yet you
> seem to articulate yourself extremely well when it comes to shoving your tec
> proposals down someone's throat or how much you hate America or anyone who i
> not a super Linux hacker in a hooded sweater listening to techno music.
>
> Perhaps you should brush up on interaction-skills-101 before attempting to
> contribute anything else to that magical planet of human beings let alone
> attempting to engage in penis comparison contest.
>
> Nick

Interaction skills would be good here.

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Fri, 12.02.21 08:24
Re: 2021 FTSC Standing Member Election -
-=> Carol Shenkenberger wrote to Oli <=-

> Are you intentionally avoiding the other questions?
> Or do you have a short attention span and cannot resist the immediate urge t
> babble about the cool dude you think you are and how others suck?
>
> Did you understand the questions from the previous mails?

CS> We have some serious weather here just now and he may be caught
CS> in it.

CS> Why so nasty at a 3 day delay?

Because "Oli" is an asshole. That's what he does.

... He does the work of 3 Men...Moe, Larry & Curly

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464)
To: All
Date: Fri, 12.02.21 15:59
Re: 2021 FTSC Standing Member Election -
Hi Oli,

On 2021-02-12 14:50:41, you wrote to Nick Andre:

Ol> Why is the FTSC unable to publish an FTS for the packet format(s) in
Ol> use for decades?

A couple of years back there was someone who put together a document describing
the different pkt formats in use. It was discussed here, but I don't know what
happend to it, because the name it was given:

Publication: FSP-1040 draft 3
Revision: 1
Title: Packet Type 2 Compatible Formats
Author: Stephen Hurd 1:103/1
Date: 2016-02-11

Is now in use for a different FSP:

fsp-1040.001 SRIF file request interface

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Fri, 12.02.21 14:24
Re: 2021 FTSC Standing Member Election -
-=> Oli wrote to Dan Clough <=-

DC> Because "Oli" is an asshole. That's what he does.

Ol> Can someone please nominate Dan "Exploding Heads" Clough? I think
Ol> he is highly qualified for the job.

Exploding heads? Not sure what you mean by that, but whatever.

Are real names required in this Fidonet echo?

... Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Fri, 12.02.21 14:41
Re: 2021 FTSC Standing Member Election -
-=> Oli wrote to Carol Shenkenberger <=-

CS> We have some serious weather here just now and he may be caught in it.

Ol> climate change and shit, tell me about it.

Nope, that's not it. It's called.................... winter.

Happens every year, believe it or not.

... WORK HARDER!... Millions on welfare depend on YOU!

From: Rob Swindell (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Fri, 12.02.21 17:28
Re: 2021 FTSC Standing Member Election -
Re: Re: 2021 FTSC Standing Member Election -
By: Wilfred van Velzen to Oli on Fri Feb 12 2021 03:19 pm

> Hi Oli,
>
> On 2021-02-12 14:50:41, you wrote to Nick Andre:
>
> Ol> Why is the FTSC unable to publish an FTS for the packet format(s) in
> Ol> use for decades?
>
> A couple of years back there was someone who put together a document
> describing the different pkt formats in use. It was discussed here, but I
> don't know what happend to it, because the name it was given:
>
> Publication: FSP-1040 draft 3
> Revision: 1
> Title: Packet Type 2 Compatible Formats
> Author: Stephen Hurd 1:103/1
> Date: 2016-02-11

Multiple drafts were rejected for reasons the author didn't agree with (e.g.
draft spec had to be submitted by splitting the text among multiple echomail
messages, per stone-age FTSC submission requirements). So he gave up the effort
and the FTSC discarded a rare high-quality technical contribution. Or at least,
that's my recollection.
https://nix.synchro.net/msgs/msg.ssjs?msg_sub=fidoftscpub&message=7380
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)