Fidonet Portal

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Mon, 04.01.21 01:05
Re: Great!
Re: Re: Great!
By: Aaron Thomas to Alan Ianson on Mon Jan 04 2021 05:15 am

AT> Do you think that would be fine accross most distros provided that they're
AT> all using an ext3 file system?

Yes, you could even unzip a BBS from another OS although you might have to
reset the permissions and ownership of the files.

Ttyl Smile,
Al

... Baroque: When you are out of Monet.
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux

From: bebyx (2:467/888.57)
To: All
Date: Mon, 04.01.21 12:42
Re: Great!
Hello, Aaron Thomas.
On 03.01.21 18:38 you wrote:

AT> I've found Snap to be more helpful. Snap was the only way (that I
AT> could find) to install Android Studio.

What's the problem with Android Studio? For my Debian, I just downloaded the
package and start it with the script included inside the package. And you can
update the Studio inside the Studio, so there are no worries about the package
management.

--
--- Hotdoged/2.13.5/Android
* Origin: Android device, Milky Way (2:467/888.57)

From: Gerrit Kuehn (2:240/12)
To: All
Date: Mon, 04.01.21 11:55
Re: Great!
Hello Richard!

03 Jan 21 18:28, Richard Falken wrote to Gerrit Kuehn:

RF> I am aware of Sabayon and Funtoo, but Mocaccino was under my radar.

It's quite new and not yet production-ready.

RF> My main concern with source based distributions is running them in
RF> adverse
RF> conditions - places with no Internet, bad Internet, or limited data
RF> plans.
RF> Specially if you have fleets of machines in office. Imagine if you
RF> have an
RF> office with 20 computers and a data plan that tops at 5 GB for all of
RF> them.

Sabayon and Mocaccino come with binary packages. But the issue is more or less
the same: you need to get data (either source or binary) to your hosts. If your
connection is limited, you'll have to be creative... set up a local repo mirror
and fill it via network only if required once for all machines, or even use
media to get the data in.

RF> Hint: this is not a theoretical scenario.

Sure, although this is not the scenario I usually face. The place I work at
with the worst connection still has a 150MBit radio link.

RF> You can use build hosts in and out of premises, but setting these
RF> things up
RF> can be such a burden Sad Specially if your computer fleet is not
RF> homogeneous.

Yes, if you really rely on your own source builds. But as I said, Sabayon and
Mocaccino provide precompiled binaries as almost any other distribution.

RF> Most Linux distributions are not designed for offline use, which can
RF> be really
RF> troublesome.

Always depends on the circumstances, how many bandwidth, storage, cpu power,
manpower etc. you have available. Setting up a repo mirror should not be too
difficult (at least not for Gentoo and derivatives).

Regards,
Gerrit

... 10:55AM up 75 days, 21:56, 8 users, load averages: 0.33, 0.33, 0.31

--- Msged/BSD 6.1.2
* Origin: All carefully conceived (2:240/12)

From: Gerrit Kuehn (2:240/12)
To: All
Date: Mon, 04.01.21 12:06
Re: Great!
Hello Aaron!

03 Jan 21 18:58, Aaron Thomas wrote to Gerrit Kuehn:

GK>> Debian comes in three flavours: stale, rusting and broken. These are

AT> Stale has always been my style! Installing updates should never be a
AT> high
AT> priority, at least not outside of business applicatons.

Yeah, well, depends... if the system is connected to the internet or any other
"hostile" environment, I'll probably at least want security updates.

Regards,
Gerrit

... 11:06AM up 75 days, 22:07, 8 users, load averages: 0.14, 0.20, 0.25

--- Msged/BSD 6.1.2
* Origin: Is serving every man (2:240/12)

From: Aaron Thomas (1:275/99)
To: All
Date: Mon, 04.01.21 14:55
Re: Great!
be> What's the problem with Android Studio? For my Debian, I just downloaded
be> the package and start it with the script included inside the package.
be> And you can update the Studio inside the Studio, so there are no worries
be> about the package management.

I like the idea of installing software through the GUI, because over the years
I install tons of stuff that I probably will only use once, and then I'll
forget how I installed it, and it will sit there forever. The software center
is good for forgetful people, but they don't always have what I'm looking for.
(Not that I blame them.Wink

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
* Origin: CompuBBS | Ashburn VA | cfbbs.scinet-ftn.org (1:275/99)

From: Aaron Thomas (1:275/99)
To: All
Date: Mon, 04.01.21 15:16
Re: Great!
RM> I am paying 8.4 EUR == 10.5 USD per month for 2 AMD Epyc cores with 8 GB
RM> RAM and 160 GB SSD, 1 IPv4 and a /64 IPv6 with a 2.5 GBit/s ethernet
RM> card and unlimited traffic.

That looks like an ok price, and they are probably a good hosting company, but
I was very lucky to get a hosting company with full root access for $6
USD/month.

My plan doesn't have nearly as much RAM or storage space as yours, but I'm
content with having full root access. For me, that brings many advantages for
the BBS. (I know, I talk like BBSs are the most important thing in the world)
Smile

From: Aaron Thomas (1:275/99)
To: All
Date: Mon, 04.01.21 19:04
Re: Great!
RM> The difference is SATA (mechanical disk) vs. SSD (Flash).
RM> It is 10 times faster now, but sadly only half as large Smile

I love the SSDs too! I got my first home pc with one and it's much quieter. I
can't even tell if it's on.