Fidonet Portal

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Wed, 30.06.21 17:05
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
Chris,

DS> > Customer: I.ll have a martini, dry.
DS> If I'm not mistaken, in this case, dry means "bitter". I think of what

CH> I don't even know why I know this, except to the extent that I was once
CH> confused by that term, too. A dry martini is a martini which has very
CH> little vermouth added to it.

CH> Found this:

CH> Legend has it that Sir Winston Churchill liked his Martinis served
CH> without the vermouth actually being added to the drink, just present in
CH> the same room. He is quoted as saying of the drink, "Glance at the
CH> vermouth bottle briefly while pouring the juniper distillate freely."

I'm not a "drinker" of "the hard stuff"...whether beer, wine, liquor,
whiskey, etc. The closest I get to that is talking about the skit done
by the comedy team Hudson And Landry years ago with "Ajax Liquor Store".
(They also did things like Ajax Airlines, Ajax Mortuary, The Prospector,
and deal on "Mutual Of Tokyo" with an expedition on "The Ramma Lamma
Ding Dong". <G>)...or the drunkard routines by Foster Brooks. Ironically,
I understand he was a tee-totaller (never drank alcohol).

Daryl

... You say I'm a little behind?? You can't see my butt.
=== MultiMail/Win v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
* Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas (1:19/33)

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Thu, 01.07.21 13:31
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
Mike,

> If I'm not mistaken, in this case, dry means "bitter". I think of what
> Groucho Marx would say "Pardon me while I slip out of these wet clothes,
> and into a dry martini". I think the Looney Tunes used this quite a bit
> with their cartoons...one had Bugs Bunny as Groucho, and Elmer Fudd as
> Harpo. <G>

MP> I think it may also. The Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies used the Marx
MP> Brothers more a few times to get a good laugh. Smile

There is a deal on YouTube with "What's My Line?" where Groucho is one
of the panelists (along with Arlene Francis, Bennett Cerf, and Dorothy
Kilgallen)...and it was apparently shortly after The Marx Brothers had
disbanded. But, while some would say "Groucho destroyed the show", he was
clearly having fun...and the audience loved it too.

The first contestant was a jail warden (who Groucho said looked like
Nikita Khruschev (the show was done Sep. 20, 1959)Wink...and the second one
was a female professional wrestler (this is where things got quite
interesting <G>). The questions got around working with the opposite
sex, and Dorothy Kilgallen got befuddled and asked something about
"having sex". It brought the house down in raucous laughter...and
Groucho reached over and shook her hand...to which, she lamented "He
made me do that". <BG> The mystery guest was Claudette Colbert (who
starred with Clark Gable in "It Happened One Night")...but Groucho
got disqualified, as he took his blindfold off prematurely.

You can watch it at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6wxrLjJobM

Daryl

... "I was married by a judge. I should've asked for a jury." -Groucho

From: George Pope (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Mon, 05.07.21 16:44
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
> > First Day as a Bartender
> > Customer: I.ll have a martini, dry.

> > Me, staring at all the liquid ingredients: I don.t know how to tell you
> > this...

> That one always used to throw me, too. How can a liquid be "dry"? Very Happy

Welcome to English where only the poorest of words have a single definition.

I love this language! (only 'cause I know it so well!Wink

I take it you already know
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Others may stumble, but not you,
On hiccough, thorough, lough and through?
Well done! And now you wish, perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps?
Beware of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard and sounds like bird,
And dead: it's said like bed, not bead -
For goodness sake don't call it deed!
Watch out for meat and great and threat
(They rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
A moth is not a moth in mother,
Nor both in bother, broth in brother,
And here is not a match for there
Nor dear and fear for bear and pear,
And then there's dose and rose and lose -
Just look them up - and goose and choose,
And cork and work and card and ward,
And font and front and word and sword,
And do and go and thwart and cart -
Come, come, I've hardly made a start!
A dreadful language? Man alive!
I'd mastered it when I was five!

Nine different pronuncisations for -ough in one sentence:

A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the crowds
on Lough Street in Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and
hiccoughed.

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux

From: George Pope (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Mon, 05.07.21 17:19
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
> I don't know. I bought a 64-bit laptop with Windows 10 on it (a Lenovo
> one from Best Buy), and that's what I use for stuff outside the BBS. I
> ordered a copy of Windows 10 32-bit from Best Buy (it was cheaper than
> from Microsoft), but I think the computers now require a faster CPU to
> run Windows 11...and I don't know if it'll have 32-bit support or not.
> I personally can NOT see discarding perfectly good working hardware and
> software, just to satisfy Microsoft's bottom line.

I feel the same -- they all meet in cabal type meetings to divvy up the GDP.
Gaes agreed to require all new hardware with the new Losedoze (10), cuz the
hardware manufacturers felt he was getting too much of the pie. . .

> GP> My wife told me she'd leave me if I don't stop making Microsoft puns,
> GP> and I need some advice
> GP> I immediately left my Office and tried explaining myself. Sure, on
the
> GP> Surface I do it often, but I think it Works. It's not just about Word
> GP> play, either; my Outlook on life helps me Excel. She and I have such
> GP> great Team Foundation, I Azure you. I wanted to Exchange my thoughts
> GP> with her, so we could work with OneDrive. I looked her right in the
> GP> Windows of her soul, to Access the deepest parts of her heart, and
told
> GP> her I loved her. Completely on Edge, I awaited her answer...

> That'd make a good deal for a pun contest. Smile

Might be why someoner wrote it.

Be a good one for Callahan's one Punday Monday (ever read Spider Robinson's
"Callahan's" series; if you like puns & scifi it's an amazing set of stories
& a couple full length novels. . .

He pays homage to some of his favorite stories & authors including R.A.
Heinlein's cat who walks through walls making several appearances.

In one story they take a dozen school buses & convoy down to Florida from
their original homes in NYS, stoppoing off to watch a shuttle launch, &
visiting Travis McGee's pier mooring in Key West.

> ... What do people in China call their good plates?

&#39184;&#30424;

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux

From: Mike Powell (1:2320/105)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.07.21 15:13
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
> A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the crowds
> on Lough Street in Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and
> hiccoughed.

That was a very telling poem, as is this prose above. I am not familiar
with the would lough. Is that pronounced like 'low' or the -ow in "now"?

Mike
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
* Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)

From: George Pope (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Wed, 07.07.21 16:38
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
> > A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the
> > crowds on Lough Street in Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he
> > coughed and hiccoughed.

> That was a very telling poem, as is this prose above. I am not familiar
> with the would lough. Is that pronounced like 'low' or the -ow in "now"?

I've been pronuncing it lock, like Loughheed of Lockheed-Martin & Loch Ness.
( a gutteral "ch/gh")

Q: How do you comfort a grammar nazi?
A: Pat them on the back while cooing, "There, Their, They're"

Q: How do you spell mousetrap?
A: C-A-T.

Q: What begins with T, ends with T and has T in it?
A: A teapot.

Q: A word in this sentence is misspelled. What word is it?
A: Misspelled

Q: What five-letter word becomes shorter when you add two letters to it?
A: Short

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Wed, 07.07.21 23:17
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
George,

GP> I feel the same -- they all meet in cabal type meetings to divvy up the
GP> GDP. Gaes agreed to require all new hardware with the new Losedoze
GP> (10), cuz the hardware manufacturers felt he was getting too much of
GP> the pie. . .

In talking with fellow ham radio operators on a digital/computer/technical
traffic net last night, one noted that "32-bit applications are going the
way of 16-bit, and it's going to be all 64-bit". I still like having the
BBS with the legacy apps and programs...in case someone stumbles on an old
computer they can use, and is told that a BBS is "a safe internet alternative".
Of course, there are very few dial-up BBS's now, and most are telnet/web. But,
in several aspects, BBS's are a lot different from the internet.

A fellow ham radio operator I knew had found at a flea market, an interesting
item. It was a portable computer deal with a keyboard, mouse, monitor, and only
2 floppy drives (one was 3.5" and the other 5.25"), but no hard drive (this was
when my BBS was still dial-up only). So, I created a Windows 95 startup disk
with just the command.com program...and the terminal mode for a dial-up BBS
utility on another disk. So, he'd power on the unit with the command.com disk,
then fire up the terminal program (GT Power Terminal Only (GTO)Wink, and hook up
his modem, then dial-in to the BBS.

> That'd make a good deal for a pun contest. Smile

GP> Might be why someoner wrote it.

These other 2 taglines come to mind:

"Junior!! Quit Playing With Your Floppy!!".
"Hard Disk??!! Lady, I misunderstood you!!".

GP> Be a good one for Callahan's one Punday Monday (ever read Spider
GP> Robinson's "Callahan's" series; if you like puns & scifi it's an
GP> amazing set of stories & a couple full length novels. . .

Never heard of it. I did find 2 good websites, for taglines and puns
respectively.

https://www.taglinesgalore.com/index.html
https://www.punsgalore.com

GP> He pays homage to some of his favorite stories & authors including R.A.
GP> Heinlein's cat who walks through walls making several appearances.

I never read Heinlein, but my late wife apparently had read his stuff.
His assessment of TANSTAFFL was so right...yet, so many refuse to accept
that.

GP> In one story they take a dozen school buses & convoy down to Florida
GP> from their original homes in NYS, stoppoing off to watch a shuttle
GP> launch, & visiting Travis McGee's pier mooring in Key West.

Nice.

> ... What do people in China call their good plates?

GP> &#39184;&#30424;

You'll have to explain that one to me...that's how it showed up in my
QWK packet.

Daryl

... I'm Ohm of Borg. Resistance is relevant.

From: George Pope (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Thu, 15.07.21 10:40
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
> traffic net last night, one noted that "32-bit applications are going the
> way of 16-bit, and it's going to be all 64-bit". I still like having the
> BBS with the legacy apps and programs...in case someone stumbles on an old
> computer they can use, and is told that a BBS is "a safe internet
> alternative". Of course, there are very few dial-up BBS's now, and most
are
> telnet/web. But, in several aspects, BBS's are a lot different from the
> internet.

I 100% agrtee with you! For those with a proper DOSModem & only DOS (no
Windows sgell connecting to the internet); BBSing is a grand alternative, &
avoids the spiders caching all our HDD content. A friend here was doing the
same -- preparing for a breakdown of the internet, with a solid & safe DOS
BBS. His BBS was next door community here, in Surrey, named Saviour BBS.

> A fellow ham radio operator I knew had found at a flea market, an
> interesting item. It was a portable computer deal with a keyboard, mouse,
> monitor, and only 2 floppy drives (one was 3.5" and the other 5.25"), but
no
> hard drive (this was when my BBS was still dial-up only). So, I created a
> Windows 95 startup disk with just the command.com program...and the
terminal
> mode for a dial-up BBS utility on another disk. So, he'd power on the unit
> with the command.com disk, then fire up the terminal program (GT Power
> Terminal Only (GTO)Wink, and hook up his modem, then dial-in to the BBS.

What klind of computer was it? Sounds like my former TRS-80 Model IV (no HDD
but could make a virtual RAMDisk using JCL(Job Control Language -- basically
batchfile programming); 'twas a fun toy; I ended up giving it to a home care
aide's daughter to use to type up her homework.

> GP> Be a good one for Callahan's one Punday Monday (ever read Spider
> GP> Robinson's "Callahan's" series; if you like puns & scifi it's an
> GP> amazing set of stories & a couple full length novels. . .

> Never heard of it. I did find 2 good websites, for taglines and puns
> respectively.

> https://www.taglinesgalore.com/index.html
> https://www.punsgalore.com

Look up Callahans' sites for good puns. Lots of fan-created options.

Google: Callahan's Spider Robinson

You'll enjoy the trek. .

I get mosdt of my puns from Punstoppable (I google, e.g. "dog puns
punstoppable" for a list of matching puns)

> I never read Heinlein, but my late wife apparently had read his stuff.
> His assessment of TANSTAFFL was so right...yet, so many refuse to accept
> that.

Yup, There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch, is a fair maxim to keep in
mind while journeying through life. . .

> > ... What do people in China call their good plates?

> GP> &#39184;&#30424;

> You'll have to explain that one to me...that's how it showed up in my
> QWK packet.

Was Chinese characters for "dinner plates"

I asked my Chinese friend what it was like living in China.
He said he can't complain. [works for N.Korea, too]

Met a Chinese talking goose today, I asked him from what part of China he was
from.
Honk Kong

Just performed in my first comedy concert in China
The crowd was so impressed, they gave me a standing of asian

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Fri, 16.07.21 13:27
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
George,

> telnet/web. But, in several aspects, BBS's are a lot different from the
> internet.

GP> I 100% agrtee with you! For those with a proper DOSModem & only DOS (no
GP> Windows sgell connecting to the internet); BBSing is a grand
GP> alternative, & avoids the spiders caching all our HDD content. A
GP> friend here was doing the same -- preparing for a breakdown of the
GP> internet, with a solid & safe DOS BBS. His BBS was next door community
GP> here, in Surrey, named Saviour BBS.

While Google does some FTP file searches, I've blocked known spammers and
hackers. At connect, they have to enter a random 6 digit number (CAPTCHA) to
even get to the logon prompt. But, if they then enter something like Root,
Admin, Sysop, Aquario, etc., they get disconnected.

GP> What klind of computer was it? Sounds like my former TRS-80 Model IV
GP> (no HDD but could make a virtual RAMDisk using JCL(Job Control Language
GP> -- basically batchfile programming); 'twas a fun toy; I ended up giving
GP> it to a home care aide's daughter to use to type up her homework.

I'm not sure...that was several years ago, and I've slept since then.

GP> Look up Callahans' sites for good puns. Lots of fan-created options.

GP> Google: Callahan's Spider Robinson

GP> You'll enjoy the trek. .

I won't get to it for a few days. I've got thunderstorms approaching now,
and they'll be in the area for several days.

> I never read Heinlein, but my late wife apparently had read his stuff.
> His assessment of TANSTAFFL was so right...yet, so many refuse to accept
> that.

GP> Yup, There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch, is a fair maxim to keep
GP> in mind while journeying through life. . .

Someone, somewhere, has to pay for it. In some areas, there's a flat fee
for the Emergency Room...apparently to cover some of the fees that so many
of the patients (most who are indigent (sp?WinkWink incur.

> > ... What do people in China call their good plates?

> GP> &#39184;&#30424;

> You'll have to explain that one to me...that's how it showed up in my
> QWK packet.

GP> Was Chinese characters for "dinner plates"

I'm sorry I asked. Razz

GP> Met a Chinese talking goose today, I asked him from what part of China
GP> he was from.
GP> Honk Kong

Just don't goose him.

GP> Just performed in my first comedy concert in China
GP> The crowd was so impressed, they gave me a standing of asian

Better than getting the thunderclap...a very violent form of VD. Razz

Daryl

... Too old to cut the mustard; but can still stir the mayonnaise.

From: George Pope (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Fri, 16.07.21 12:39
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
> While Google does some FTP file searches, I've blocked known spammers
and
> hackers. At connect, they have to enter a random 6 digit number (CAPTCHA)
> even get to the logon prompt. But, if they then enter something like Root,
> Admin, Sysop, Aquario, etc., they get disconnected.

Of courser -- you have your own personal login & I'm sure a backdoor one or
two as well -- nobody would ever use root on your system remotely. ..

Nothing better for these twonks but to kick them off unceremoniously.

I threatened troublemakers with a machine I'd bought called a Freister's
Device(named, in 1973, for the inventer) which can track a modem signal in
reverse, even through Fido & BBSes, & send an overload signal to fry(that's
why we say it like that) the modem & computer of anyone who I feel is
misbehaving!

It worked great until India joined Fidonet, then it was constant spam in this
here echo; my then-moderator-partner ended up having to, eventually, cut the
feed for all of India, as nobody down the line would comply with Fidonet
rules (to comply with moderator orders regarding troublemakers); No idea if
they ever got back on. . .

Guess I can check once I've got my point set up & working right. . .

> GP> What klind of computer was it? Sounds like my former TRS-80 Model IV
> GP> (no HDD but could make a virtual RAMDisk using JCL(Job Control
Language
> GP> -- basically batchfile programming); 'twas a fun toy; I ended up
giving
> GP> it to a home care aide's daughter to use to type up her homework.

> I'm not sure...that was several years ago, and I've slept since then.

I like that excuse!

Don't worry, insomniacs, there's only 4 more sleeps til Christmas!

> GP> Look up Callahans' sites for good puns. Lots of fan-created options.

> GP> Google: Callahan's Spider Robinson

> GP> You'll enjoy the trek. .

> I won't get to it for a few days. I've got thunderstorms approaching
now,
> and they'll be in the area for several days.

You don't have a decent UPS?

> Someone, somewhere, has to pay for it. In some areas, there's a flat fee
> for the Emergency Room...apparently to cover some of the fees that so many
> of the patients (most who are indigent (sp?WinkWink incur.

We've had to institute a userfee over the already-fuly paid cost of ER, to
slow down those with the sniffles taking up space more needed by those
bleeding copiously (or not breathing or bleeding)

> > > ... What do people in China call their good plates?

> > GP> &#39184;&#30424;

> > You'll have to explain that one to me...that's how it showed up in my
> > QWK packet.

> GP> Was Chinese characters for "dinner plates"

> I'm sorry I asked. Razz

Did you expect non-punny from me, the Bishop of ROM?

> Better than getting the thunderclap...a very violent form of VD. Razz

No thanks, sounds like it might be painful (& noisy)

Q: What does the god of thunder get when he drops his hammer?
A: A Thor foot.

Last night during a pretty aggressive thunderstorm, a huge lightening strike,
along with an incredibly deafening thunder clap happened right next to our
house. It was about 11pm and Susan was snuggled up to her Mother next to me
in our bed. After a few seconds of Lori saying something soothing to our 9
year old she was holding, saying something like 'its ok, its just a little
storm, we are safe...', I call out to our older 12 year old in her room just
next door.

"Sarah!?" I called to her, in my normal tone to get her attention.

"Yeah? What?" She responded.

"Was that you?" I called back.

After a long pause Sarah replied "No Dad. That was thunder!"

I could not stop laughing.

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Sat, 17.07.21 13:58
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
George,

GP> Of courser -- you have your own personal login & I'm sure a backdoor
GP> one or two as well -- nobody would ever use root on your system
GP> remotely. ..

They're looking for a Unix server deal, and of course, a BBS doesn't
have that. It's the MIRAI bot or its variants.

GP> Nothing better for these twonks but to kick them off unceremoniously.

I have blocked all these IP's and hosts that show "no name". What they
do outside the BBS is their business...even if such activity could be
considered as immoral, illegal, unlawful, sinful, etc. But, once online
they are a guest in my residence, and I expect them to act accordingly.

GP> I threatened troublemakers with a machine I'd bought called a
GP> Freister's Device(named, in 1973, for the inventer) which can track a
GP> modem signal in reverse, even through Fido & BBSes, & send an overload
GP> signal to fry(that's why we say it like that) the modem & computer of
GP> anyone who I feel is misbehaving!

I heard of a ham radio operator who was constantly interfered with by
someone with an illegal amplifier (possibly a CB operator). Well, hams
of a Technician class license or higher, on most bands, can transmit up
to 1500 watts peak envelope power (PEP). One local ham quipped "All knobs
to the right". <G> Well, one day, this ham had enough of this interference,
so they did a bit of "fox hunting/direction finding" (that's a big aspect
of the hobby, and there are competitions with that each year), and figured
out who and where the offender was. So, the ham pointed the antenna at
this joker, keyed up at 1.5 kW, and fried every bit of the offenders gear.

GP> It worked great until India joined Fidonet, then it was constant spam
GP> in this here echo; my then-moderator-partner ended up having to,
GP> eventually, cut the feed for all of India, as nobody down the line
GP> would comply with Fidonet rules (to comply with moderator orders
GP> regarding troublemakers); No idea if they ever got back on. . .

I use the Peerblock utility to block countries known for hackers. And,
as noted earlier, I block hostnames with "no name" in them. To me, in
this day and age, if you want to let a total unknown stranger into your
residence, you have a death wish. As long as they play by the rules I've
laid down, their data stays confidential. The only exception is for a
law enforcement subpeona.

GP> Don't worry, insomniacs, there's only 4 more sleeps til Christmas!

One local Hobby Lobby had Christmas stuff up in June!! That reminds me of
the country song "Redneck Woman", where she keeps her Christmas lights up
all year long...and knows all the lyrics to every Charlie Daniels, Tanya
Tucker, and Ol' Bocephus (Hank Williams, Jr.Wink song.

GP> You don't have a decent UPS?

No amount of surge protection, UPS or otherwise, will protect you from a
direct hit.

I heard of a ham radio operator who spared no expense for lightning
protection. You name it, he bought it, and installed it...price was no
object (must be nice to have all that money).

He took a direct hit, and this was the result.

1) His antenna, tower, mast, and coaxial cable, were VAPORIZED...not a
trace left.

2) The inside of his UPS unit and computer tower were black as night...
with the motherboards and circuits melted and fused together.

3) He had scorch marks down the walls of his house.

Each lightning bolt:

A) Has 3 million volts and 300,000 amps of electricity.

B) Can strike from 20 to 200 miles from the parent thunderstorm (the
latter occurred in Oklahoma a few years ago)

C) Can be 5 miles long, but only as wide as your thumb.

D) Is 50,000 degrees Fahrenheit...5 times hotter than the sun's surface.

In short, it's no contest.

I've had too many close calls, and am a 2 time indirect lightning strike
survivor myself, and have nervous system damage as a result.

GP> We've had to institute a userfee over the already-fuly paid cost of ER,
GP> to slow down those with the sniffles taking up space more needed by
GP> those bleeding copiously (or not breathing or bleeding)

Too many hypochondriacs...it's noted on their tombstone "I told you I was
sick!!". Razz

> Better than getting the thunderclap...a very violent form of VD. Razz

GP> No thanks, sounds like it might be painful (& noisy)

Lightning and hail out of certain orifices would indicate something is
wrong. Razz

GP> Q: What does the god of thunder get when he drops his hammer?
GP> A: A Thor foot.

Very much so.

GP> Last night during a pretty aggressive thunderstorm, a huge lightening
GP> strike, along with an incredibly deafening thunder clap happened right
GP> next to our house. It was about 11pm and Susan was snuggled up to her
GP> Mother next to me in our bed. After a few seconds of Lori saying
GP> something soothing to our 9 year old she was holding, saying something
GP> like 'its ok, its just a little storm, we are safe...', I call out to
GP> our older 12 year old in her room just next door.

GP> "Sarah!?" I called to her, in my normal tone to get her attention.

GP> "Yeah? What?" She responded.

GP> "Was that you?" I called back.

GP> After a long pause Sarah replied "No Dad. That was thunder!"

GP> I could not stop laughing.

That was one wicked fart. Razz

Daryl

... Deliver a pizza? Whoever heard of a liver pizza?

From: George Pope (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Sun, 18.07.21 15:22
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
> I have blocked all these IP's and hosts that show "no name". What they
> do outside the BBS is their business...even if such activity could be
> considered as immoral, illegal, unlawful, sinful, etc. But, once online
> they are a guest in my residence, and I expect them to act accordingly.

Quite reasonably. As an echo mod, I'm expected by sysops who carry me, to
keep things as advertised going into their BBS. . .

In return, if there's a tywonk on their BBS & I identify him/her, I expect
the systop to boot them; if the sysop refuses, I ask the next host up to cut
off that BBS, & so on up the chain of Fido command (I used to know 1:1/1 here
in BC, before he died!Wink

> I heard of a ham radio operator who was constantly interfered with by
> someone with an illegal amplifier (possibly a CB operator). Well, hams
> of a Technician class license or higher, on most bands, can transmit up
> to 1500 watts peak envelope power (PEP). One local ham quipped "All knobs
> to the right". <G> Well, one day, this ham had enough of this
interference,
> so they did a bit of "fox hunting/direction finding" (that's a big aspect
> of the hobby, and there are competitions with that each year), and figured
> out who and where the offender was. So, the ham pointed the antenna at
> this joker, keyed up at 1.5 kW, and fried every bit of the offenders gear.

Rule #1: Don't be a jackass
Rule #2: See Rule #1

> GP> It worked great until India joined Fidonet, then it was constant spam
> GP> in this here echo; my then-moderator-partner ended up having to,
> GP> eventually, cut the feed for all of India, as nobody down the line
> GP> would comply with Fidonet rules (to comply with moderator orders
> GP> regarding troublemakers); No idea if they ever got back on. . .

> I use the Peerblock utility to block countries known for hackers. And,
> as noted earlier, I block hostnames with "no name" in them. To me, in
> this day and age, if you want to let a total unknown stranger into your
> residence, you have a death wish. As long as they play by the rules I've
> laid down, their data stays confidential. The only exception is for a
> law enforcement subpeona.

Oh, we didn't do it out of rumour that they were bad -- they demonstrated it
& refused to comply with Fidonet rules & moderator directives. We were
eyewitnesses o the problem, so good riddance to bad rubbish & the echo ramn
nicely for mamny years after (35 years later & still going here in FUNNY
Jokes and Stories!Wink

> GP> You don't have a decent UPS?

> No amount of surge protection, UPS or otherwise, will protect you from a
> direct hit.

Don't be the tallest thing in your vicinity & you'll be fine to avoid direct
hits?

Lies your school's science teachers told you:
1) Lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place (usually it does!Wink
2) the days get longer in summer (quite the exact opposite)

> Each lightning bolt:

> A) Has 3 million volts and 300,000 amps of electricity.

> B) Can strike from 20 to 200 miles from the parent thunderstorm (the
> latter occurred in Oklahoma a few years ago)

> C) Can be 5 miles long, but only as wide as your thumb.

> D) Is 50,000 degrees Fahrenheit...5 times hotter than the sun's surface.

My 12yo son has had these facts memorized since he was 7!

> I've had too many close calls, and am a 2 time indirect lightning strike
> survivor myself, and have nervous system damage as a result.

How3 ios it possible? You like standing in boats in the centre of lakes?
Or standing alone in a large flat field?

For a Ham antenna of awesome proporrtions, can't you set it up a mile away &
include a decent lightning rod, & run the cable underground to your home
which is equipped with lightning rods?

> ... Deliver a pizza? Whoever heard of a liver pizza?

Oh, if there's liver on a pizza, I won't even attempt to de-liver it, I'm
just tossing it in the garbage!

They accidentally delivered a pizza missing the sauce, toppings, & cheese to
Homer Simpson, who took one look at it & exclaimied "Dough!"

(I just wrote that one); for funny, Google up "Hell's Pizza billboards"

When I was younger I had to work in a cheap pizza shop to get by.
I kneaded the dough.

I accidentally burned my Hawaiian pizza.
Should have used aloha temperature.

(actuallyl, the Hawaiian Pizza is a Canadian creation & still a favourite!Wink
I used to order it woithg capicolli(spicy ham) instead of ham, & add on
jalapenos, banana peppers, & chilis. . .

hoo, baby! My whole face was a-tingling! (in a happy way)

Want to hear a joke about pizza?

Olive it anyway!

What type of person doesn't like pizza?
A weirdough!

A musical demon delivered my pizza.
He was a Personal Pan.

I misplaced my pizza cutter, so I used my Bryan Adams CD.
It cuts like a knife.

Today I cooked yp an Italian flatbread with the perfect amount & types of
toppings & a halfg inch of shredded cheese, then I broiled it. . .

It was my masterpizza!

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Mon, 19.07.21 13:49
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
George,

GP> In return, if there's a tywonk on their BBS & I identify him/her, I
GP> expect the systop to boot them; if the sysop refuses, I ask the next
GP> host up to cut off that BBS, & so on up the chain of Fido command (I
GP> used to know 1:1/1 here in BC, before he died!Wink

I liked the documentation with my former BBS software, GT Power. In a
file "TRASHCAN.BBS", the original author, Paul Meiners, noted "This file
will test your creativity <GRIN!>". All the dirty words went in there,
and if I caller tried to logon with one of these, they got dumped.

Restricted Access is basically one level above banishment.

GP> Rule #1: Don't be a jackass
GP> Rule #2: See Rule #1

Rule 1 is also "The Boss (or Spouse or Significant Other) is always right".

GP> Oh, we didn't do it out of rumour that they were bad -- they
GP> demonstrated it & refused to comply with Fidonet rules & moderator
GP> directives. We were eyewitnesses o the problem, so good riddance to
GP> bad rubbish & the echo ramn nicely for mamny years after (35 years
GP> later & still going here in FUNNY Jokes and Stories!Wink

I'm not the only BBS around...folks don't have to logon if they don't
want to.

GP> Don't be the tallest thing in your vicinity & you'll be fine to avoid
GP> direct hits?

That's not always the case.

GP> How3 ios it possible? You like standing in boats in the centre of
GP> lakes? Or standing alone in a large flat field?

Both were in Hialeah, Florida, just northwest of Miami.

1) I was 3 years old, on the couch in the living room, with my hands
on the metal frame of a big plate glass window in the front room,
watching lightning dance across the sky from a thunderstorm in the
area (I thought "this is cool!"). We had coconut trees in the front
yard, and one of the fronds was on the house. Lightning hit the tree,
and with moisture around the metal frame, where my hands were, the
combination of the flash and the shock, made me start screaming bloody
murder. It blew tiles off the bathroom wall, sent sparks out the back
of the house, and the neighbor across the street said "it looked like
the house was encased in a ball of fire". My Dad called the Fire
Department to come out and check things. For 10 years afterwards, you
could not take a flash picture of me, as I'd scream in terror from the
flashback (pun intended).

2) I was 16 years old, and had just finished delivering an afternoon
newspaper route, in a tropical thunderstorm. It was like taking a
shower with my clothes on. I got home, looking like a drowned rat;
closed the garage door, parked the bicycle, and went to strip out
of my wet clothes, so I wouldn't get chilled. When my wet hand touched
the washing machine (to balance myself), lightning hit the house
again.

However, I carry no electrical charge, and can be handled safely.

> ... Deliver a pizza? Whoever heard of a liver pizza?

GP> Oh, if there's liver on a pizza, I won't even attempt to de-liver it,
GP> I'm just tossing it in the garbage!

Same here. Some things don't belong on a pizza.

GP> They accidentally delivered a pizza missing the sauce, toppings, &
GP> cheese to Homer Simpson, who took one look at it & exclaimied "Dough!"

Or when a certain treat was made, a guy stuck his finger into the
batter, and was told "Get your finger out of the dough, nut!!". <G>

GP> I accidentally burned my Hawaiian pizza.
GP> Should have used aloha temperature.

That was a real pain in the grass, skirting the issue.

Daryl

... If Barbie's so popular, why must you buy her friends??

From: George Pope (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Fri, 23.07.21 16:09
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
> I liked the documentation with my former BBS software, GT Power. In a
> file "TRASHCAN.BBS", the original author, Paul Meiners, noted "This file
> will test your creativity <GRIN!>". All the dirty words went in there,
> and if I caller tried to logon with one of these, they got dumped.

Reasonable -- Most boards that allowed adult language in locao chat area
designated as such, didn't allow raunchy usernames, as then it's a bad ad for
the BBS if the user gets onto some nets (like FamilyNet, on which I used to
be a Mod)

> Restricted Access is basically one level above banishment.

Makers sense -- I've bnever had a problem -- I generally got upgraded to
visiting sysop status on the boards I was a regular on. . . I think youj'd
done so, too, for me, as I was the farthest you'd ever had a dial-in call
from. I was about 3,000 miles from you, via the I-90. . . Smile

> GP> Rule #1: Don't be a jackass
> GP> Rule #2: See Rule #1

> Rule 1 is also "The Boss (or Spouse or Significant Other) is always
> right".

That's the original; I edited it for the context. . .

> GP> Oh, we didn't do it out of rumour that they were bad -- they
> GP> demonstrated it & refused to comply with Fidonet rules & moderator
> GP> directives. We were eyewitnesses o the problem, so good riddance to
> GP> bad rubbish & the echo ramn nicely for mamny years after (35 years
> GP> later & still going here in FUNNY Jokes and Stories!Wink

> I'm not the only BBS around...folks don't have to logon if they don't
> want to.

Yup, don't like "my roof, my rules" get on out. . .

I'm the only one who MUST be here! Very Happy

> Both were in Hialeah, Florida, just northwest of Miami.

> 1) I was 3 years old, on the couch in the living room, with my hands
> on the metal frame of a big plate glass window in the front room,
> watching lightning dance across the sky from a thunderstorm in the
> area (I thought "this is cool!"). We had coconut trees in the front
> yard, and one of the fronds was on the house. Lightning hit the tree,
> and with moisture around the metal frame, where my hands were, the
> combination of the flash and the shock, made me start screaming bloody
> murder. It blew tiles off the bathroom wall, sent sparks out the back
> of the house, and the neighbor across the street said "it looked like
> the house was encased in a ball of fire". My Dad called the Fire
> Department to come out and check things. For 10 years afterwards, you
> could not take a flash picture of me, as I'd scream in terror from the
> flashback (pun intended).

> 2) I was 16 years old, and had just finished delivering an afternoon
> newspaper route, in a tropical thunderstorm. It was like taking a
> shower with my clothes on. I got home, looking like a drowned rat;
> closed the garage door, parked the bicycle, and went to strip out
> of my wet clothes, so I wouldn't get chilled. When my wet hand touched
> the washing machine (to balance myself), lightning hit the house
> again.

Ouch! I'd have been suddenly very a-fearin' the Lord! (aware of His might, &
mighty respectful, too)

> However, I carry no electrical charge, and can be handled safely.

I'll never find out, don't worry. . .

> > ... Deliver a pizza? Whoever heard of a liver pizza?

> GP> Oh, if there's liver on a pizza, I won't even attempt to de-liver it,
> GP> I'm just tossing it in the garbage!

> Same here. Some things don't belong on a pizza.

I don't care what the liver's on,. it's going in the trash, on top of the
kale!

I'm cutting back on t he meat as much as I can, but I draw the line somewhere
before kale as a substitute & I don't consider myself Vegan or vegetarian,
just a guy trying to remember that meat as food was just a concession to our
sin, not a gift. . .

Yes, I know of Peter's vision, but I see that more as metaphor, using a
previously allowed concession as being recognizable.

There's no sin in eating meat, but I feel, for myself, it's best to cut it
out (plus too much in my diet gives me Uric Acid stones in my pooor beaten up
kidneys)

> ... If Barbie's so popular, why must you buy her friends??

Corporate profits, I'd presume. . .

puns from Barbie dolls. . .

I just do not like Russian dolls.
They're so full of themselves.

I ran out of material for the doll I was making and only had breathe mints
left for the feet.
He had Tic Tac toes

The little girl lined her dolls up at the cookout.
It was a Barbie queue.

My friend said he made a voodoo doll of me.
I think he's pulling my leg.

Tried to make a doll with a clock instead of an abdomen.
It was a waist of time.

Your friend,

<+]:{)}
Cyberpope, Bishop of ROM
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.07.21 16:07
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
George,

GP> Reasonable -- Most boards that allowed adult language in locao chat
GP> area designated as such, didn't allow raunchy usernames, as then it's a
GP> bad ad for the BBS if the user gets onto some nets (like FamilyNet, on
GP> which I used to be a Mod)

There was one local board where the users handle was expletives for the
first and last name (the F word and the S word). I left an urgent note for
the Sysop to "ban this fool".

GP> Makers sense -- I've bnever had a problem -- I generally got upgraded
GP> to visiting sysop status on the boards I was a regular on. . . I think
GP> youj'd done so, too, for me, as I was the farthest you'd ever had a
GP> dial-in call from. I was about 3,000 miles from you, via the I-90. . .
GP> Smile

If they report glitches, they're more likely to stay in my good graces. Smile

> GP> Rule #1: Don't be a jackass
> GP> Rule #2: See Rule #1

> Rule 1 is also "The Boss (or Spouse or Significant Other) is always
> right".

GP> That's the original; I edited it for the context. . .

And boss spelled backwards is double SOB. <G>

> I'm not the only BBS around...folks don't have to logon if they don't
> want to.

GP> Yup, don't like "my roof, my rules" get on out. . .

That's what my parents told my brother. He moved out when he turned 18.
I did just before I got married.

GP> Ouch! I'd have been suddenly very a-fearin' the Lord! (aware of His
GP> might, & mighty respectful, too)

There was a case on May 25, 1987 (IIRC) on Lake Bisteneau, Louisiana,
near Shreveport. It was on a Sunday, and these 4 guys went out fishing
on the lake (it could've been any day of the week, though). A summertime
thunderstorm came up, and one guy stood up, shook his fist toward Heaven,
and dared God to strike him dead.

He was obliged and instantly killed...and by rights, the other 3 should
have died as well. However, they were totally unharmed. That's an example
of Divine Judgment and Protection together...can you say "Thou Shalt Not
Tempt The Lord Thy God??". Razz

GP> I'll never find out, don't worry. . .

The hair and a few other things might stand up. <eg>

GP> I don't care what the liver's on,. it's going in the trash, on top of
GP> the kale!

Now, if it's fried beef liver and sauteed onions, I'm in. Otherwise,
forget it!!

> ... If Barbie's so popular, why must you buy her friends??

GP> Corporate profits, I'd presume. . .

A lonely blonde?? <G>

GP> puns from Barbie dolls. . .

GP> I just do not like Russian dolls.
GP> They're so full of themselves.

Especially if one likes a Moss Cow.

GP> I ran out of material for the doll I was making and only had breathe
GP> mints left for the feet.
GP> He had Tic Tac toes

Pound that one into submission.

GP> The little girl lined her dolls up at the cookout.
GP> It was a Barbie queue.

Mannequins roasting on an open fire...

GP> My friend said he made a voodoo doll of me.
GP> I think he's pulling my leg.

Will the person have the voodoo of me please scratch my butt?? It's
itching real bad, and I'm in a public place.

GP> Tried to make a doll with a clock instead of an abdomen.
GP> It was a waist of time.

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Daryl

... A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

From: George Pope (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Sun, 01.08.21 15:35
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
> There was one local board where the users handle was expletives for the
> first and last name (the F word and the S word). I left an urgent note for
> the Sysop to "ban this fool".

Sadly, on some boards Io've been on, that'd have been the 15yo 'anky' sysop!
& complaining gets the complainer banned after being publically humiliated!
(I didn't stay around long on those. . . got the lay of the land & gone to
one of dozens of other new BBSes opening in my area code each month in the
'90s!

Usually 'twas because I hadn't done my research fully & missed it was a "free
speech BBS" (code word for 12yos acting their age)

I was always respected & appreciated for my experience & willingness to help
(was cosys a couple times, just for laughs)

> If they report glitches, they're more likely to stay in my good graces.

Having called hundredfs of BBSes, I was in a good position to know what looks
tright or wrong, & to suggest positive ideas on how to fix any errors or
lackings. (I was raised to not complain unless I was prepared to offer
constructive assistance)

> And boss spelled backwards is double SOB. <G>

I've heard that, but thanksa be to God, I've never had one. . .

My bosses have all been good. My current is best of the lot.

[my roof, my rules]:
> That's what my parents told my brother. He moved out when he turned 18.
> I did just before I got married.

You did it right: if we all tayed at home (if not too dysfunctional) until
marrying, there'd be less divorce & children of broken homes.

I left jme at age 12, never to return. . . I knew the my roof, my rules bit,
& wasn't agreeable to it, so I set off to seek my fortune (had fun, sure, but
no fortune)

Ended up owning a video arcade at one point, for a winter spent in -40
weather, every day 24/7; every day I had to shovel 3' of snmow out from my
storefront, whether it snowed or not. (unlike sopping/heavy west coast snow,
snow in the north is light & fly-away); I never had to walk anywhere -- had
free can rides any time I wanted, as my tip for providing dispatch services
to them from noon to 3am 7 days. (I had 2-way radio in my arcade, with phone
line CCed from the taxi stand to me)

Good times. I had fun, playing 100+ hands of cribbae a day (never for $$),
including crib solitaire! & when it ws slow(no cribbage players), I handcoded
BASIC programs that never got programmed into my Vic=20 back home in BC!

Q: Why do spiders make the best programmers?
A: They're great at debugging & can recreate a web overnight

So you know the programming language C...
next is C++, or C2 since its the second one, then there's C# or C3 since the
# symbol is just shift 3.

I can't wait for the next iteration, C4! I hear its gonna be... A blast!

Q: What was Princess Leia's LEAST favorite programming language?
A: Jabbascript

My Dad dropped his phone in a cup of coffee...
After a stunned silence...

"At least it runs Java now."

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Mon, 02.08.21 14:07
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
George,

GP> Sadly, on some boards Io've been on, that'd have been the 15yo 'anky'
GP> sysop! & complaining gets the complainer banned after being publically
GP> humiliated! (I didn't stay around long on those. . . got the lay of the
GP> land & gone to one of dozens of other new BBSes opening in my area code
GP> each month in the '90s!

I have to wonder if they're mature enough to deal with running a BBS.
Most folks today can't or won't accept 2 facts:

1) Life is NOT "Fair". Fair is a call in baseball, a weather term, or
a carnival.

2) Life is NOT "Burger King". You can NOT always 'Have It Your Way'. Or,
as Borg Burgers notes, "We do it OUR WAY -- your way is irrelevant".

GP> Usually 'twas because I hadn't done my research fully & missed it was a
GP> "free speech BBS" (code word for 12yos acting their age)

They need to read the bulletin over here "You Want To Be A Sysop??".
Several things are funny, but sadly, most are true...and still are being
done today.

GP> I was always respected & appreciated for my experience & willingness to
GP> help (was cosys a couple times, just for laughs)

Too many in the world have the mindset that the world owes them a living,
it revolves around them, and everyone else be damned. To me, it's more like
"what can I do for you??". I can tell if someone's trying to take advantage
of me. Now, as for the BBS setup, I don't need to be spoon fed everything
from start to finish. Just show me the basic structure on setup, and I'll
take it from there. Yet, too many folks today are lazy, and want everything
done for them...then, they have the audacity to take credit for it, when
they didn't do a damn thing.

GP> Having called hundredfs of BBSes, I was in a good position to know what
GP> looks tright or wrong, & to suggest positive ideas on how to fix any
GP> errors or lackings. (I was raised to not complain unless I was prepared
GP> to offer constructive assistance)

If folks spot glitches, and they let me know, they're more inclined to
stay in my good graces. The two recent glitches:

1) The feedback from the matrix logon quit working...it wouldn't send
the email to me, so I never got it. I had to disable that portion of
it. I tested it, and saw the glitch, and growled "Damn!". At least I
could disable the one option, and keep the program.

2) A glitch in one of the message area postings, that may have been
the result of a bad control code (one letter makes all the difference).

> And boss spelled backwards is double SOB. <G>

GP> I've heard that, but thanksa be to God, I've never had one. . .

I have, unfortunately. They tried to get me to come back, after I
had resigned, because of my health; and I apologized, saying "My
body won't let me do it anymore".

GP> My bosses have all been good. My current is best of the lot.

I still think of that story I told you of the textile business
in New England, run by a Jewish guy. A fire before Thanksgiving
heavily damaged the place, and the employees were looking at no
pay for the holidays and no work until spring. Yet, the insurance
settled quickly, and they rebuilt quickly. The owner still paid
them during the downtime, so when the place re-opened, they were
ready to kiss his feet. He was there when they needed him, so they
were ready to sacrifice and work extra to help him. I think the
only way one quit working there was if they medically could not,
or if they died.

I love going into a business where you can clearly see that the
employees enjoy their job.

GP> You did it right: if we all tayed at home (if not too dysfunctional)
GP> until marrying, there'd be less divorce & children of broken homes.

I think the empty nest syndrome kicked in, as my Mom and Dad were
originally against me getting married. I didn't invite them to the
wedding, although they found out when they saw the marriage license
request in the paper. Yet, they were amazed at how well I handled it.

GP> Good times. I had fun, playing 100+ hands of cribbae a day (never for
GP> $$), including crib solitaire! & when it ws slow(no cribbage players),
GP> I handcoded BASIC programs that never got programmed into my Vic=20
GP> back home in BC!

The only games I play are on the BBS...I wish I had more time to do so.

GP> Q: Why do spiders make the best programmers?
GP> A: They're great at debugging & can recreate a web overnight

GP> So you know the programming language C...
GP> next is C++, or C2 since its the second one, then there's C# or C3
GP> since the # symbol is just shift 3.

GP> I can't wait for the next iteration, C4! I hear its gonna be... A
GP> blast!

GP> Q: What was Princess Leia's LEAST favorite programming language?
GP> A: Jabbascript

GP> My Dad dropped his phone in a cup of coffee...
GP> After a stunned silence...

GP> "At least it runs Java now."

Wasn't there a deal to get rid of that, because of security issues??

Daryl

... Newspaper Headline: "Crack Found on Governor's Daughter."

From: George Pope (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Wed, 04.08.21 20:37
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
> I have to wonder if they're mature enough to deal with running a BBS.
> Most folks today can't or won't accept 2 facts:

Mjany weren't & just played host to fellow immature idiots, acting especially
toadish to those who unwittingly joined without knowing the lay of the land..

> 1) Life is NOT "Fair". Fair is a call in baseball, a weather term, or
> a carnival.

True 'nough!

"I started with nothing & still have most of it left."

I'll help anyone out until I see they're just trtakers (I try to reserve my
time for fellow givers)

Takers never know the blessed joy of "Receiving" only the "ho hum" of
"Getting"

> 2) Life is NOT "Burger King". You can NOT always 'Have It Your Way'. Or,
> as Borg Burgers notes, "We do it OUR WAY -- your way is irrelevant".

I point out: "Het, buddy, you didn't make the ryles, nor create the game
board"; play right or walk away.

> If folks spot glitches, and they let me know, they're more inclined to
> stay in my good graces. The two recent glitches:

If I spot any, I go out of my way to ensure the sysop knows.

> I have, unfortunately. They tried to get me to come back, after I
> had resigned, because of my health; and I apologized, saying "My
> body won't let me do it anymore".

One job I had, paying 40% more than minimum wage was dangerous to the health,
so I gave my two weeks notice; he offered me 50% more than cvurrentot stay; I
pointed out that my mind was made up, but thanks for the respect. He
decideed to waive the two week's nmotice & even gave me a week's pay as a
sendoff (mutual respect works, plus I was his best producer in over 20 years
per the supervisors who'd been there 30 years)

Ourt of respect for his g iving me a job, I maintain loyalty by keeping his
secrets, even now, 22 years later!

> I still think of that story I told you of the textile business
> in New England, run by a Jewish guy. A fire before Thanksgiving
> heavily damaged the place, and the employees were looking at no
> pay for the holidays and no work until spring. Yet, the insurance
> settled quickly, and they rebuilt quickly. The owner still paid
> them during the downtime, so when the place re-opened, they were
> ready to kiss his feet. He was there when they needed him, so they
> were ready to sacrifice and work extra to help him. I think the
> only way one quit working there was if they medically could not,
> or if they died.

That's the way to do it!

I heard lots of fun stories from truckers during my hitchhiking years, like
the mill owner who gave a huge (2-months pay) bonus every Xmas to his
workers, & paid better than any other mill of the type.

One year a union rep came in, riled up the workers & got them to signh up to
his union. He declared a strrikem, to get more money, & the owner came out
of his office, onto the catwalk, above the picketing workers to tear up a
bunch of cheques & to say, "That's the end of your Xmas bonuses, boys!"

Another generously-paid shop went union, shut him down by picketing & the
owner just packed up himself, his family, & his deep bank account & opened a
new shop a couple towns over. Supposedly the picketring was going on at the
old site for years after!

I've no real idea of the trueness of these stories, but they sound good &
bespeak of reasonable comeuppance, IMO.

I freaked out the shop foreman of a paper mill across from the fast food
place I worked at for $5/hour in the late '80s when he offered me a job
starting at $16/hour, the next Monday morning. I asked if it was union; he
said "of course" & I said "No thanks, I'm happy enough here."; he was also
offering me to go from a 72-hour work week to 37.5 hours, but no thanks; I
worked only what I'd agreed to & was able to do. (& I had cute young gals for
coworkers at the restaurant vs sweaty old men at the mill)

I choose contentment(aka "enough") for my life, not "more"

I hated my job as a bowling alley union rep
They were always having strikes

The soviet union was doomed to fail.
The red flags were everywhere.

Did you hear the announcement from the Janitors' Union?
They proposed some sweeping changes.

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Thu, 05.08.21 12:19
Re: A Crappy Sales Call
George,

> 1) Life is NOT "Fair". Fair is a call in baseball, a weather term, or
> a carnival.

GP> True 'nough!

I got that from the late Jack Kinsella, who had a Bible Prophecy website
called "The Omega Letter". I've had so much experience with that lately,
that it's not funny.

GP> "I started with nothing & still have most of it left."

I can afford to give a piece of my mind, as I have nothing to lose.

GP> I'll help anyone out until I see they're just takers (I try to
GP> reserve my time for fellow givers).

Same here. There was an instance in ham radio (the elderly man is dead
now), but he basically wanted the stuff done for him. I told him, "If I
get it set it up, and you muck it up (ham radio operators are prone to
tinker and experiment with stuff), we'll be right back where we started.
And, I told him that "I'm not going to be available at your every beckon
call".

GP> Takers never know the blessed joy of "Receiving" only the "ho hum" of
GP> "Getting"

That described my first fiancee'. She wanted me to always take her to the
most expensive restaurant, always pick up the tab, and forsake all of my
hobbies outside of work, and spend every waking moment with her. That is a
one sided relationship, and that didn't work. I broke off the engagement
just before Christmas in 1984. She surely thought I was a Scrooge, but I
felt like the weight of the world had been lifted off of my shoulders.

My late wife didn't care whether we ate at McDonald's or Olive Garden.
To her, "food was food"...to which I agree. She also asked "Who's paying
for this??". I'd usually give her a big toothy grin <G>, and she'd say
"I was afraid of that". But, there were a couple of times that I asked
if we could go dutch (each pay for our own), or if she'd pick up the tab,
and she NEVER complained about that. We loved each others company so much,
and she truly was a gem of a woman. In fact, there is a Biblical Proverb,
that correctly notes "A virtuous woman is worth more than rubies".

> 2) Life is NOT "Burger King". You can NOT always 'Have It Your Way'. Or,
> as Borg Burgers notes, "We do it OUR WAY -- your way is irrelevant".

GP> I point out: "Het, buddy, you didn't make the ryles, nor create the
GP> game board"; play right or walk away.

Or in life itself, since it's The Lord's Creation, it's His Rules. Yet,
so many have a big problem with that. He has been good to me lately, with
giving me a bunch of poetry for the collection (which is on a page off of
my personal homepage)...over 510 poems to His Glory. There are some on my
hobbies of the BBS, ham radio, and square dancing...but most are "sacred".
Yet, I can NOT write poetry...I can tell when He's inspiring me to write
such...and I give Him The Praise And Glory For it. You can find that at
https://www.theweatherwonder.com/swj.htm -- designed as a ministry to the
saved (those who've repented of their sin, and accepted Christ as their
Saviour and Messiah), and a witness to the lost (those who have not). To
me, everyone gets at least one chance to hear the Gospel. The plan of
salvation is so EASY, yet most reject it because of its simplicity. When
I first heard the hymn "The Old Rugged Cross", I literally broke down,
and cried.

GP> If I spot any, I go out of my way to ensure the sysop knows.

Yeah, I do as well. I've got every verified user set at the max time
one can get in a 24 hour period...but the Visiting Sysops and ham radio
operators have access to extra message areas, file areas, and doors.

GP> One job I had, paying 40% more than minimum wage was dangerous to the
GP> health, so I gave my two weeks notice; he offered me 50% more than
GP> cvurrentot stay; I pointed out that my mind was made up, but thanks for
GP> the respect. He decideed to waive the two week's nmotice & even gave
GP> me a week's pay as a sendoff (mutual respect works, plus I was his best
GP> producer in over 20 years per the supervisors who'd been there 30
GP> years)

That was nice of him.

GP> Ourt of respect for his g iving me a job, I maintain loyalty by keeping
GP> his secrets, even now, 22 years later!

I'm sure he's glad to have you as a confidante (sp?Wink.

GP> I've no real idea of the trueness of these stories, but they sound good
GP> & bespeak of reasonable comeuppance, IMO.

So many want to work from 12 to 1, take an hour off for lunch, and get a
full check...like the young people nowadays. I was born and raised with the
deal that "the man is the breadwinner"...and had my health not declined so
where I had to resign, I'd still be working. But, with now becoming a heart
patient with atrial flutter, the consolation is that they won't take away
my disability now. But, once I turn 65, I'll get less money...it's as if
they feel the elderly and infirmed don't deserve to live (they're "playing
God"). Yet, none of us is getting out of life alive. Needless to say, the
morticians have "job security", and their business isn't dead...or is it?? Razz

I had to go to the Emergency Room on July 29, and was admitted to the
hospital until August 1, with atrial flutter. My heart was racing at 155
beats per minute. They tried 2 deals in the IV in the ER, but those did
not work. So, they put me on a cardiac IV drip, which stabilized it. I
am now on a blood thinner, and a medication to control the heart rate and
blood pressure. Next week, I'll undergo a chemical stress test, and an
echocardiogram, plus get blood work done. I have to take a full medlist
out there today...I thought the discharge instructions from the hospital
last week would've been sufficient, but I was wrong. Today, I just have
to go by, and drop the stuff off. He said that I do NOT need to worry about
a pacemaker right now.

GP> I choose contentment(aka "enough") for my life, not "more"

If you're not happy with the job, it makes life miserable.

GP> I hated my job as a bowling alley union rep
GP> They were always having strikes

From Hollywood Squares:

Peter Marshall: "In bowling, what's a perfect score??".
Rose Marie: "Ralph, the pin boy". <G>

GP> The soviet union was doomed to fail.
GP> The red flags were everywhere.

And, still are. I have a red and white square dance towel, to wipe
my brow at a dance...but sometimes, I'll wave one or the other in the
air, to flag things to a stop, or surrender. <G> However, a good caller
will not be trying to break the floor down. But, you also have to have
good dancers, knowing what moves to do.

GP> Did you hear the announcement from the Janitors' Union?
GP> They proposed some sweeping changes.

They probably got swept under the rug.

Daryl

... And Adam asked 'What's a Headache?'