Fidonet Portal

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 13.05.20 09:45
Re: amiga
po> I think I agree as I have the Amiga forever emulator and its decent but
po> there is something about have actual hardware.

Got the Amiga/C64 Forever packages. Love them as well...but if I had a chance
to buy original hardware for a decent price that I could afford...I would
jump at it in a heartbeat.

As soon as I get the BBS running on OS/2-ArcaOS...am looking at setting up
VICE on the box & running C64 games. With 12 GB of DDR3 memory on that
box...shouldn't have any problems at all.

ACME BBS-Member of fsxNet/WWIVNet/SciNet/AmigaNet/VKRadio/FidoNet/MicroNet.

* Origin: ACME BBS-W.Coyote & D.Brown are our best users. (1:340/1000)

From: Gary McCulloch (1:154/50)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 13.05.20 12:45
Re: Amiga
.-: On Wed 13-May-2020 7:45a, Don Lowery@1:340/1000.0 said to Poison :-.
DL: Got the Amiga/C64 Forever packages. Love them as well...but if I had a
DL: chance
DL: to buy original hardware for a decent price that I could afford...I would
DL: jump at it in a heartbeat.

DL: As soon as I get the BBS running on OS/2-ArcaOS...am looking at setting up
DL: VICE on the box & running C64 games. With 12 GB of DDR3 memory on that
DL: box...shouldn't have any problems at all.

Decent price is the issue. I have found good deals on C64 and C128
haerdware and jumped on them. Currently running a C-Net DS-2 on a real C64. I
have a C128 coming soon that will house a C-Net128 BBS on real hardware. I am
emulating the Amiga for my Amiga BBS and also emulating a C64 with Vice and
running a second C-Net DS-2 BBS on Vice.
I challenge everyone to call the Real Hardware then the Emulated
Hardware and see if you can tell the difference.

-Spitfire Inc presents 3 Unique Systems...

Reign of Fire rof.cnetbbs.net:2300 C-Net Amiga Pro BETA System.
Reign of Fire II rof.cnet64.com:6400 C-Net DS-2 BETA System.
Reign of Fire Vice rof.cnet64.com:6502 C-Net DS-2 on Windows 10!

* ACIS Member. AmigaNet ArakNet C=Net FidoNet RetroNet SciNet
* C-Net/5
* Origin: rof.cnetbbs.net:2300 * rof.cnet64.com:6400 (1:154/50)

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 13.05.20 23:39
Re: Amiga
GM> I challenge everyone to call the Real Hardware then the Emulated
GM> Hardware and see if you can tell the difference.

Been meaning to throw on my copy of ColorTerm & take a look at yours & other
boards. Problem is no matter how much time I have...wish I could get some
more sleep each night..along with time to check out other boards.

From: Phillip L Taylor Jr (1:275/201.30)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 14.05.20 02:34
Re: Amiga
SB> * SLMR 2.1a # BBS * --T-A+G-L-I+N-E--+M-E-A+S-U-R+I-N-G+--G-A+U-G-E--

SB> --- WILDMAIL!/WC v4.12
SB> * Origin: * VORTEX BBS * Serbia * vortex.redirectme.net:3777
SB> (2:382/147.0)

Hi. Are you the sysop? Version of Wildcat 4.X is really old. I use to run
Wildcat bbs.
--- CNet/5
* Origin: 1:275/201.0 (1:275/201.30)

From: Phillip L Taylor Jr (1:275/201.30)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 14.05.20 02:35
Re: Amiga
CS> LOL!!

CS> If he had an Amiga, almost better than having a family! Smile

I only have my computers so I really do not have a life.
--- CNet/5
* Origin: 1:275/201.0 (1:275/201.30)

From: Phillip L Taylor Jr (1:275/201.30)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 14.05.20 02:40
Re: Amiga
SB> CS>I'd personally would trade 3/4th's of my family for a reall
SB> fully-loaded
SB> CS>A4000! Hmm..maybe I'll ask Santa??

SB> Smile I think that Santa doesn't have familiy so... ;)

I have two desk top systems one of them is running the Amiga, Laptop and both
of my servers are being hosted in St.Louis, MO. One is a really old machine and
the other is a Icore 7 with 8 Cores, 64 GB of memory, two 4 TB harddrives and 1
GB internet connection. That counts me in.

--- CNet/5
* Origin: 1:275/201.0 (1:275/201.30)

From: mark lewis (1:3634/12)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 14.05.20 08:44
Re: Amiga
Re: Re: Amiga
By: Don Lowery to Gary McCulloch on Wed May 13 2020 21:39:32

DL> Been meaning to throw on my copy of ColorTerm & take a look at yours
DL> & other boards. Problem is no matter how much time I have...wish I
DL> could get some more sleep each night..along with time to check out
DL> other boards.

/me used to do 36 hour days and still never had enough time... switched to 48
hour days and was still unable to resolve the problem... it appears to be a
problem without any solution ;) -=B-)

)\/(ark
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR (1:3634/12)

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 14.05.20 09:47
Re: Amiga
ml> DL> & other boards. Problem is no matter how much time I have...wish I
ml> DL> could get some more sleep each night..along with time to check out
ml> DL> other boards.
ml> /me used to do 36 hour days and still never had enough time... switched
ml> to 48 hour days and was still unable to resolve the problem... it
ml> appears to be a problem without any solution ;) -=B-)

Very true! Have found I've become my grandfather where I would come home from
work...sit down in a comfortable chair & snooze off for a couple of hours.
Then...I would be ready for everything else. Have been told I can get the
rest I need when I pass on...but will still be too busy haunting people. ;)

From: Joacim Melin (2:221/242)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 17.05.20 15:07
Re: amiga
po>> I think I agree as I have the Amiga forever emulator and its decent but
po>> there is something about have actual hardware.

DL> Got the Amiga/C64 Forever packages. Love them as well...but if I had
DL> a chance
DL> to buy original hardware for a decent price that I could afford...I
DL> would
DL> jump at it in a heartbeat.

DL> As soon as I get the BBS running on OS/2-ArcaOS...am looking at
DL> setting up
DL> VICE on the box & running C64 games. With 12 GB of DDR3 memory on
DL> that
DL> box...shouldn't have any problems at all.

If you where in my country (Sweden) I would just give you one of my working
A500's. I have several collecting dust that where given to me for free and as
a rule I never sell things that are given to me.

--- NiKom v2.5.0
* Origin: Delta City (deltacity.se, Vallentuna, Sweden) (2:221/242.0)

From: Joacim Melin (2:221/242)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 17.05.20 15:09
Re: amiga
p> None of the wireless would support anything more than WEP though
p> right?
-=>> Joacim Melin wrote to Richard Menedetter > Hi poison!

RM>> 11 May 2020 10:15, from poison -> All:

po>>> I am kind of interested in playing with an Amiga. What would be good
po>>> still usable hardware that would work on the internet?

RM>> I have an Amiga 1200 that I connected to the Internet once.
RM>> It has IDE and PCMCIA connectors.

RM>> I used telnet and ftp on it.

RM>> You can use wired Ethernet and WiFi PCMCIA cards.
RM>> You need to have a driver for them.
RM>> There are some supported Ethernet cards and 1 or 2 WiFi cards.

RM>> I think I used a Lucent WiFi card with an OPEN network.
RM>> (I think in the meantime one of the drivers support WPA ???Wink

JM>> I've only used wired cards. There are actually many PCMCIA cards to
JM>> choose from and many of the 3Com cards from the time works (and
JM>> Farallon which was based on 3com:s chipset). If nothing else you can
JM>> always buy a card for like 30 euros (or dollars) complete with the
JM>> software needed to get going.

JM>> If you go for an older Amiga you can get a ethernet or wifi card for
JM>> the A2000 (X-Surf-100,
JM>> https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/product/x-surf-100.html) or the
JM>> PlipBix for the A500 or any other Amiga
JM>> (http://amigaonthelake.com/amiga-plipbox-parallel-port-ethernet-adapter/
JM>> Wink.
JM>> The Plipbox is _slow_ but it will at least get you connected to a
JM>> network and allow you to transfer files via FTP. NFS or SMB is not
JM>> recommended for that.

Dunno to be honest. Haven't touched Wifi-stuff for the Amiga for many, many
years. There are also wifi modems for the C64/128 that actually works with WPA
so I suppose it's not entirely impossible that WPA would work with the Amiga.

From: Gary McCulloch (1:154/50)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 17.05.20 09:30
Re: Amiga
.-: On Sun 17-May-2020 1:07p, Joacim Melin@2:221/242.0 said to Don Lowery
JM: If you where in my country (Sweden) I would just give you one of my
JM: working A500's. I have several collecting dust that where given to me for
JM: free and as a rule I never sell things that are given to me.

I would pay for shipping to get my hands on another A500. This was the
second and last Amiga I owned back in the early 90's. Di to prices, I can't
afford another one. I was able to pick up a C64 and C128 setup. But an Amiga,
I am not as lucky.

From: Joacim Melin (2:221/242)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 17.05.20 18:15
Re: Amiga
GM> .-: On Sun 17-May-2020 1:07p, Joacim Melin@2:221/242.0 said to Don
GM> Lowery
GM> JM: If you where in my country (Sweden) I would just give you one of
GM> my
GM> JM: working A500's. I have several collecting dust that where given
GM> to me for
GM> JM: free and as a rule I never sell things that are given to me.

GM> I would pay for shipping to get my hands on another A500.
GM> This was the second and last Amiga I owned back in the early 90's.
GM> Di to prices, I can't afford another one. I was able to pick up a
GM> C64 and C128 setup. But an Amiga, I am not as lucky.

I'm sure something can be arranged. However you need to source your own power
supply since the ones I have is for 220V with european sockets.

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 17.05.20 10:41
Re: amiga
JM> If you where in my country (Sweden) I would just give you one of my
JM> working A500's. I have several collecting dust that where given to me
JM> for free and as a rule I never sell things that are given to me.

Was watching an American living in Sweden the other day on You Tube. I WISH I
was there!

I do appreciate this! Not sure if I mentioned...but I had my 500 when I was
married & wished I would've kept the Amiga...sold the wife. ;)

From: Gary McCulloch (1:154/50)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 17.05.20 19:47
Re: Amiga
.-: On Sun 17-May-2020 4:15p, Joacim Melin@2:221/242.0 said to Gary
JM: I'm sure something can be arranged. However you need to source your own
JM: power supply since the ones I have is for 220V with european sockets.

Any older system like that you would want to up-date the power supply.
I have on all my othe Commodore systems. If you get time, and you don't mind.
Can you look into this?

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 18.05.20 08:42
Re: amiga
DD> If you do get the Euro model you'll need a USA compatible power supply.
DD> Back in the day I replace the Commode Door brick with a salvaged PSU from
DD> an original IBM-PC. Anyone with basic soldering skills can do the same.

As much as I would love to be able to have it shipped over here...with the
way the economy is right now with the orange ID10T running the show...gotta
keep money socked away just in case. It's a dream alright...but have to
temper my needs with my wants.

Who knows...may be able to do this when things settle down.