Fidonet Portal

From: LSoens (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 06.10.19 03:59
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: "LSoens" <nomail@nospam.invalid>

On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 06:37:08 UTC, Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 6. Oktober 2019 05:54:01 UTC+2 schrieb Dave Yeo:
> > That is a weird beep. If I understand correctly, this only happens when
> > using the mouse to open a menu? Not, for example, using ALT-F to open
> > the file menu.
>
> No, it also happens, when I use the keyboard.

Can you set up another small VM - just the system - to see what
happens? And give the VM PS/2 mouse and keyboard, not USB-.

--
lothar .dot. soens .at. t .minus. online .dot. de

Wegen Unregelm??igkeiten im Betrieb f?hrt die Bahn heute p?nktlich.
Due to irregular service all trains go on schedule today.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 05.10.19 18:25
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Sonntag, 6. Oktober 2019 11:59:17 UTC+2 schrieb LSoens:

> Can you set up another small VM - just the system - to see what
> happens? And give the VM PS/2 mouse and keyboard, not USB-.

With a clean install I don't have that beep. The existing installation is
configured for PS/2 mouse and keyboard already.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Lars Erdmann (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 06.10.19 16:06
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Lars Erdmann <lars.erdmann@arcor.de>

On 05.10.19 08.38, Dave Yeo wrote:
> On 10/04/19 01:29 PM, Martin Dietze wrote:
>>> The sounds snippets "out-of-the-box" have sampling rates of 22050 or
>>> even 11025 only. Try if 'sox.exe' to rate 44100 would help.
>> Not sure I understand this. I guess this only makes sense if I have
>> sound on my system, right?
>
> Exactly, some USB audio adapters really don't like the low sampled sounds.
> Dave

That's why our USB audio drivers do automatic sample rate, bit depth and
channel (mono/stereo) conversion.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 05.10.19 22:19
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Sonntag, 6. Oktober 2019 20:06:38 UTC+2 schrieb Lars Erdmann:
> > Exactly, some USB audio adapters really don't like the low sampled soun=
ds.
> > Dave
>
> That's why our USB audio drivers do automatic sample rate, bit depth and=

> channel (mono/stereo) conversion.

Not sure if I understand you correctly here. The installation doing those f=
unny beeps uses PS/2 mouse and keyboard, not USB. Since it's a VM installat=
ion, I don't use USB at all, not sure whether it is even configured. Also t=
he problem started occurring at some point after install it had been fine.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 06.10.19 16:37
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Another few things I have tried now:

1. boot from floppy, regenerate os2.ini and os2sys.ini, no effect.

2. boot from floppy, rename all directories where I had software installed, no
effect.

3. Uninstalled MMOS2, no effect.

I'm getting to the point of thinking that there simply must be some corrupted
system file somewhere. Just very annoying that there doesn't seem to be a way
to identify it.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Mon, 07.10.19 02:02
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

On 10/07/19 05:37 AM, Martin Dietze wrote:
> I'm getting to the point of thinking that there simply must be some corrupted
system file somewhere. Just very annoying that there doesn't seem to be a way
to identify it.

IIRC, VMware doesn't officially support OS/2. Did your VMWare install
get updated at some point? I believe there are utilities to migrate the
virtual machine to VirtualBox, might be an interesting test.
What's weird is the actual beep, which isn't the system beep/bell
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Mon, 07.10.19 19:20
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Dienstag, 8. Oktober 2019 00:02:44 UTC+2 schrieb Dave Yeo:

> IIRC, VMware doesn't officially support OS/2. Did your VMWare install
> get updated at some point?

Yes, several times, I usually go with VMWare's upgrades.

> I believe there are utilities to migrate the
> virtual machine to VirtualBox, might be an interesting test.
> What's weird is the actual beep, which isn't the system beep/bell

I actually did this, but later realised that there is no support for the PC
speaker on a MacOS host anyway: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/627

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Pete (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Tue, 08.10.19 19:15
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Pete <losepete@losepete.plus.com>

Hi

Martin Dietze wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 8. Oktober 2019 00:02:44 UTC+2 schrieb Dave Yeo:
>
>> IIRC, VMware doesn't officially support OS/2. Did your VMWare install
>> get updated at some point?
>
> Yes, several times, I usually go with VMWare's upgrades.

If the problem did not exist prior to a VMWare update there is a chance
that the update(s) introduced the problem.

Is it possible to backlevel those updates to check?

Regards

Pete

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Tue, 08.10.19 10:35
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Mittwoch, 9. Oktober 2019 01:15:40 UTC+2 schrieb Pete:

> If the problem did not exist prior to a VMWare update there is a chance=

> that the update(s) introduced the problem.
>
> Is it possible to backlevel those updates to check?
>

> Regards

I can't really pin it down to a particular update because I don't use the V=
M every day, actually I had not been using it for a while. What I have alre=
ady done is try out the different compatibility options. In VMWare you can =
set particular versions if you have problems. But all this did not have any=
effect.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2