Fidonet Portal

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 22.03.20 01:59
Re: Fidonet Beginner
On 21 Mar 20 23:38, Aaron Thomas said the following to Don Lowery:

AT> Are there any conditions that would make a BBS not get accepted? Like if it
AT> was a warez board or something?

Lets merge my other reply with this one so I don't rant twice. I cannot afford
royalty payments to Mark Lewis.

At one time there were Napoleon NC's that would reject nodelisting a system
based on that system's BBS content ala that silly illogical "mark of the
devil" example of P4.

The problem with that, is that your BBS has absolutely jack-shit to do with
Fidonet in and of itself. It is the messages originating from your system and
the operation of your mailer that I or anyone else cares about.

I can personally assure you that you are more than welcome in Fido as long as
that is the case. Except you must buy the first 'round.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 22.03.20 09:56
Re: Fidonet Beginner
AT> DL> there & leave me a message they were doing that. In terms of getting h
AT> DL> Paul...would have to find a time for both of us & do it thru Skype. Ne
AT> Are there any conditions that would make a BBS not get accepted? Like if
AT> it was a warez board or something?

I can see it...but it seems like 30 years ago when Fido was much bigger than
it is now...they were accepting anyone who could transfer mail.

AT> I know who Paul is. Is it Paul's call?

He offered to allow me to get my echo/netmail feed from him. That was after I
was able to get my own node number. Because I live in Region 1...with him in
3...he couldn't get me a node number...but could feed me. As a matter of
fact...haven't had anyone say anything about where I get my feed from. They
can look at the headers to get the information...but usually are too lazy to
do so unless there's an issue.

ACME BBS-Member of fsxNet/WWIVNet/SciNet/AmigaNet/VKRadio/FidoNet/MicroNet.

* Origin: ACME BBS-W.Coyote & D.Brown are our best users. (1:340/1000)

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 23.03.20 10:20
Re: Fidonet Beginner
N> You are always welcome to join SciNet, we tend to be more forgiving than
N> Fidonet yet most of us are Fidonet, lol.

Thanks, I am going to give it a try.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 23.03.20 10:26
Re: Fidonet Beginner
NA> The problem with that, is that your BBS has absolutely jack-shit to do with
NA> Fidonet in and of itself. It is the messages originating from your system a

I understand. Even it was a warez board, my echomail would still be legit, at
least on Fido Smile

NA> I can personally assure you that you are more than welcome in Fido as long
NA> that is the case. Except you must buy the first 'round.

It will be worth celebrating once I get some echomail going. Me & my
daughter just mastered "cats cradle" so how hard can this be? lol

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 23.03.20 11:36
Re: Fidonet Beginner
On 23 Mar 20 09:26, Aaron Thomas said the following to Nick Andre:

AT> I understand. Even it was a warez board, my echomail would still be legit,
AT> least on Fido Smile

If you have any good warez, you must "share the wealth"...

AT> It will be worth celebrating once I get some echomail going. Me & my
AT> daughter just mastered "cats cradle" so how hard can this be? lol

My daughter has begun to appreciate the genius that is Frank Zappa.

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 24.03.20 14:31
Re: Fidonet Beginner
NA> If you have any good warez, you must "share the wealth"...

Absolutely! I've been reluctant to download anything of that nature ever since
I got some warnings from my ISP regarding some music that "somebody"
downloaded from my IP.

NA> My daughter has begun to appreciate the genius that is Frank Zappa.

I'm a fan of many classic rock artists, but I can't say that I know of any
Frank Zappa songs. What are some of his hits? I just listened to "Montana" and
it was kinda painful.

Is it all comical entertainment or is some of it more beautiful musically?

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 24.03.20 14:28
Re: Fidonet Beginner
AT> I'm a fan of many classic rock artists, but I can't say that I know of
AT> any Frank Zappa songs. What are some of his hits? I just listened to

Don't go where the huskies roam...Stairway to Heaven are just 2 of the best
of the best. The latter is his take on the '72 Zeppelin hit.

From: Dallas Vinson (1:123/257)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 24.03.20 17:04
Re: Fidonet Beginner
Re: Re: Fidonet Beginner
By: Aaron Thomas to Netsurge on Mon Mar 23 2020 09:20:40

N>> You are always welcome to join SciNet, we tend to be more forgiving
N>> than Fidonet yet most of us are Fidonet, lol.

AT> Thanks, I am going to give it a try.

There is also SFnet that can be accessed by either FTN or QWK. You can get the
info packet on the website at furmenservices.net
-+-
SFnet: A network for all things SF/Fantasy/Anime/Comics/Gaming.

Dallas
-Dallas Vinson
Furmens Folly (FIDO 1:123/257) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23
SSH: furmenservices.net:23222
Before the Web - telnet: furmenservices.net:23232
Legends of Yesteryear (FIDO 1:123/256) - telnet: furmenservices.net:23322
Sound Source ]|[ - telnet: furmenservices.net:2323

Dallas

... Success is a public affair. Failure is a private funeral.
--- SBBSecho 3.09-Win32
* Origin: Furmen's Folly (1:123/257)

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 25.03.20 06:13
Re: Fidonet Beginner
On 24 Mar 20 13:31, Aaron Thomas said the following to Nick Andre:

AT> Absolutely! I've been reluctant to download anything of that nature ever si
AT> I got some warnings from my ISP regarding some music that "somebody"
AT> downloaded from my IP.

That sucks. Here in Canada we used to get the dreaded ISP "warning" but I
believe liability law was changed and I can only say I never get them anymore.

Its weird because I manage the IT for a company downtown and if anyone
torrents anything on that connection through Cogent, they do send the DMCA
notices and threaten suspension of service if its not acted upon.

AT> I'm a fan of many classic rock artists, but I can't say that I know of any
AT> Frank Zappa songs. What are some of his hits? I just listened to "Montana"
AT> it was kinda painful.

Black Napkins. Zoot Allures. Muffin Man. Watermelon in Easter Hay. Rat
Tomango. Sexual harassment in the Workplace.

Just to name a few...

Nick

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 25.03.20 14:47
Re: Fidonet Beginner
DL> Don't go where the huskies roam...Stairway to Heaven are just 2 of the best
DL> of the best. The latter is his take on the '72 Zeppelin hit.

"Don't go where the huskies go" sounds interesting. It's weird! I bet Frank
heard that a few times before.

My impression is that he was the "Weird Al" of the 70s, and maybe a precursor
for alternative rock bands like Weezer. Am I getting it?

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 25.03.20 14:48
Re: Fidonet Beginner
DV> There is also SFnet that can be accessed by either FTN or QWK. You can get
DV> info packet on the website at furmenservices.net

I will give this a try also. Thank you.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 25.03.20 14:54
Re: Fidonet Beginner
NA> Black Napkins. Zoot Allures. Muffin Man. Watermelon in Easter Hay. Rat
NA> Tomango. Sexual harassment in the Workplace.

Muffin Man sounds good! I like the guitar playing. Is that him?

His abstract song titles and music reminds me of Buckethead.

Thanks for this list. Now I'm finding some gold..

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 25.03.20 15:50
Re: Fidonet Beginner
AT> DL> Don't go where the huskies roam...Stairway to Heaven are just 2 of the
AT> DL> of the best. The latter is his take on the '72 Zeppelin hit.
AT> "Don't go where the huskies go" sounds interesting. It's weird! I bet
AT> Frank heard that a few times before.

Forgot to finish the title which is...don't eat that yellow snow.

AT> My impression is that he was the "Weird Al" of the 70s, and maybe a
AT> precursor for alternative rock bands like Weezer. Am I getting it?

I would even go back to the 60's. In terms of Weird Al...he would take pop
hits & make them into novelties...while Frank would do much of his own with
Mothers of Invention. Dr. Demento (Barry Hanson) would play Frank once in a
while...but he was instrumental in giving Al his start.