Fidonet Portal






From: Chris Elvidge (2:221/10)
To: All
Date: Mon, 27.12.21 14:46
Re: Aplay without Sudo
From: Chris Elvidge <chris@mshome.net>

On 27/12/2021 13:57, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 27/12/2021 13:40, Adrian wrote:
>> In message <sqavff$ldq$1@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
>> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>>> Ok, I think you haven't got the DAC set up right.
>>>
>>> you need thi sin /boot/config.txt
>>> <snip loadsa stuff>
>>> # Additional overlays and parameters are documented
>>> /boot/overlays/README
>>>
>>> # Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
>>> #dtparam=audio=on
>>>
>> Already done
>>
>>> dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
>>> dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac
>>>
>>
>> I've added the first, the second was already there.
>>
>> Having made that change, I've rebooted, and still Device or resource
>> busy, but works fine if I use sudo.
>>
> So there is no fundamental issue with missing drivers.
>
>>> Does the *file* you are trying to play have the right permissions?
>>>
>>
>> Yes, I'm running as "pi", and the file is owned/group by pi with
>> rw-r--r--
>>
> Hmm.
>
> It looks like somehow the /dev/snd perms are wrong, but I am struggling
> to see what difference your setup is from mine
>
> I tested it and I can play with myself as the user.

"Fnarr, fnarr"

>
> $ ls -l /dev | grep snd
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 140 Dec 9 13:42 snd
>
> $ ls -l /dev/snd
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Dec 9 13:42 by-path
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 0 Dec 9 13:42 controlC0
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 16 Dec 9 13:42 pcmC0D0p
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 1 Dec 9 13:17 seq
> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 Dec 9 13:42 timer
>
> $ grep audio /etc/group
>
> audio:x:29:me,www-data,pulse,root
>
>
> that's my setup that works.
>
> I think I had to add myself to get it to work from my user command line,
> and www-data to get it to work when invoked by the apache webserver,
> which is how I control the sound system...or else write a setuid program...
>
> See if yours differs at all.
>
>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Adrian
>
>


--
Chris Elvidge
England

---
* Origin: rbb.fidonet.fi - the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/10)

From: A. Dumas (2:221/10)
To: All
Date: Mon, 27.12.21 14:49
Re: Aplay without Sudo
From: A. Dumas <alexandre@dumas.fr.invalid>

Adrian <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:
> In message <sqcg1t$1pb$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>> That does not appear to be for your hardware.
>
> Curious. I got the hardware from PiHut, and that was the site that they
> gave for the setup.

The hifiberry overlay is very general and used for different boards. I
think iqaudio is the only audio board manufacturer with its own, different
overlay? That's the one I have, anyway. So it could be that the PiHut was
right.

---
* Origin: rbb.fidonet.fi - the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/10)

From: The Natural Philosopher (2:221/10)
To: All
Date: Mon, 27.12.21 14:54
Re: Aplay without Sudo
From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>

On 27/12/2021 14:17, Adrian wrote:
> In message <sqcgns$740$1@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>> It looks like somehow the /dev/snd perms are wrong, but I am
>> struggling to see what difference your setup is from mine
>>
>> I tested it and I can play with myself as the user.
>>
>> $ ls -l /dev | grep snd
>> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root         140 Dec  9 13:42 snd
>>
>> $ ls -l /dev/snd
>> total 0
>> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root       60 Dec  9 13:42 by-path
>> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  0 Dec  9 13:42 controlC0
>> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 16 Dec  9 13:42 pcmC0D0p
>> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  1 Dec  9 13:17 seq
>> crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 Dec  9 13:42 timer
>>
>> $ grep audio /etc/group
>>
>> audio:x:29:me,www-data,pulse,root
>>
>>
>> that's  my setup that works.
>>
>> I think I had to add myself to get it to work from my user command
>> line, and www-data to get it to work when invoked by the apache
>> webserver, which is how I control the sound system...or else write a
>> setuid program...
>>
>> See if yours differs at all.
>>
>
> Times and dates aside, my /dev/snd appears to be the same as yours. Oh
> hang on, there is a difference.  The four entries with permissions
> starting "c" all have permissions of  crw-rw----+
>
>
> The audio group is :
>
> audio:x:29:pi

not sure it doesn't need root and pulse.

>
> I only need it to work for the pi user, so that should be OK.
>
> Thanks
>
> Adrian


--
You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a
kind word alone.

Al Capone

---
* Origin: rbb.fidonet.fi - the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/10)

From: The Natural Philosopher (2:221/10)
To: All
Date: Mon, 27.12.21 14:55
Re: Aplay without Sudo
From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>

On 27/12/2021 14:29, Adrian wrote:
> In message <sqcg1t$1pb$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 27/12/2021 13:18, Adrian wrote:
>>> In message <sqaucr$ftp$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
>>> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>>>> I have this. which driver did you install
>>>>
>>>  Not sure, but I installed using the instructions here :
>>>
>>> <https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-speaker-bonnet-for-raspberry-pi/ra>>sp
>>>
>>> berry-pi-usage>
>>>
>> That does not appear to be for your hardware.
>>
>
> Curious.  I got the hardware from PiHut, and that was the site that they
> gave for the setup.
>
> Adrian
so did i but i decided that of anyone knew it would be hifiberry!

anyway it all eventually worked



--
You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a
kind word alone.

Al Capone

---
* Origin: rbb.fidonet.fi - the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/10)

From: The Natural Philosopher (2:221/10)
To: All
Date: Mon, 27.12.21 14:56
Re: Aplay without Sudo
From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>

On 27/12/2021 14:49, A. Dumas wrote:
> Adrian <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:
>> In message <sqcg1t$1pb$2@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
>> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>>> That does not appear to be for your hardware.
>>
>> Curious. I got the hardware from PiHut, and that was the site that they
>> gave for the setup.
>
> The hifiberry overlay is very general and used for different boards.

I had tow hifiberry overlays one of which worked and the other did not



--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people
who pay no price for being wrong.”

Thomas Sowell

---
* Origin: rbb.fidonet.fi - the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/10)

From: The Natural Philosopher (2:221/10)
To: All
Date: Mon, 27.12.21 14:57
Re: Aplay without Sudo
From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>

On 27/12/2021 14:46, Chris Elvidge wrote:
> On 27/12/2021 13:57, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>> I tested it and I can play with myself as the user.
>
> "Fnarr, fnarr"

bugger. missed the comma.

"I tested it and I can play, with myself as the user."


--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people
who pay no price for being wrong.”

Thomas Sowell

---
* Origin: rbb.fidonet.fi - the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/10)

From: Adrian (2:221/10)
To: All
Date: Mon, 27.12.21 15:41
Re: Aplay without Sudo
From: Adrian <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff>

In message <sqck2e$s22$3@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>not sure it doesn't need root and pulse.
>

I've tried adding root and pulse. Root adds OK, but as I don't have a
user called pulse, I can't add that.

Still get the same error.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "bulleid" with "adrian" - all mail to bulleid is rejected
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

---
* Origin: rbb.fidonet.fi - the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/10)

From: The Natural Philosopher (2:221/10)
To: All
Date: Mon, 27.12.21 16:01
Re: Aplay without Sudo
From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>

On 27/12/2021 15:41, Adrian wrote:
> In message <sqck2e$s22$3@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>> not sure it doesn't need root and   pulse.
>>
>
> I've tried adding root and pulse.  Root adds OK, but as I don't have a
> user called pulse, I can't add that.
>
> Still get the same error.
>
> Adrian

you haven't installed pulseaudio?
check this and lets see what gives

$ aplay -L

null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
default
Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry
snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
Hardware device with all software conversions

You can foirce use of te card with e.g.

aplay -D sysdefault <file>


I think



--
The theory of Communism may be summed up in one sentence: Abolish all
private property.

Karl Marx

---
* Origin: rbb.fidonet.fi - the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/10)

From: A. Dumas (2:221/10)
To: All
Date: Mon, 27.12.21 16:59
Re: Aplay without Sudo
From: A. Dumas <alexandre@dumas.fr.invalid>

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> you haven't installed pulseaudio?

He's still on Stretch. I think getting into too much detail is not really
useful until he at least upgrades to Buster.

---
* Origin: rbb.fidonet.fi - the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/10)

From: Adrian (2:221/10)
To: All
Date: Mon, 27.12.21 17:04
Re: Aplay without Sudo
From: Adrian <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff>

In message <sqco17$p35$1@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>you haven't installed pulseaudio?

I have now, and things have changed (see below)

>check this and lets see what gives
>
>$ aplay -L
>
>null
> Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
>default
> Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
>sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry
> snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
> Default Audio Device
>dmix:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
> snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
> Direct sample mixing device
>dsnoop:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
> snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
> Direct sample snooping device
>hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
> snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
> Direct hardware device without any conversions
>plughw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
> snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
> Hardware device with all software conversions
>

null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
speakerbonnet
dmixer
softvol
default
Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry
snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
Hardware device with all software conversions

So I get some extra stuff at the top.

Now, when I try aplay, I don't get any errors, but neither do I get any
noise (but I still do with sudo). Progress of sorts I suppose.

>You can foirce use of te card with e.g.
>
>aplay -D sysdefault <file>
>
It doesn't like that, I get :

ALSA lib confmisc.c:767:(parse_card) cannot find card '1'
ALSA lib conf.c:4528:(_snd_config_evaluate) function
snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4528:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat
returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1246:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4528:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:5007:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or
directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM sysdefault
aplay: main:788: audio open error: No such file or directory

Thanks

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "bulleid" with "adrian" - all mail to bulleid is rejected
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

---
* Origin: rbb.fidonet.fi - the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/10)

From: The Natural Philosopher (2:221/10)
To: All
Date: Mon, 27.12.21 17:21
Re: Aplay without Sudo
From: The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid>

On 27/12/2021 17:04, Adrian wrote:
> In message <sqco17$p35$1@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
> <tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>> you haven't installed pulseaudio?
>
> I have now, and things have changed (see below)
>
>> check this and lets see what gives
>>
>> $ aplay -L
>>
>> null
>> Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
>> default
>> Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
>> sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry
>> snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
>> Default Audio Device
>> dmix:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
>> snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
>> Direct sample mixing device
>> dsnoop:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
>> snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
>> Direct sample snooping device
>> hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
>> snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
>> Direct hardware device without any conversions
>> plughw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
>> snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
>> Hardware device with all software conversions
>>
>
> null
> Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
> speakerbonnet
> dmixer
> softvol
> default
> Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
> sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry
> snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
> Default Audio Device
> dmix:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
> snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
> Direct sample mixing device
> dsnoop:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
> snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
> Direct sample snooping device
> hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
> snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
> Direct hardware device without any conversions
> plughw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry,DEV=0
> snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac,
> Hardware device with all software conversions
>
> So I get some extra stuff at the top.
>
> Now, when I try aplay, I don't get any errors, but neither do I get any
> noise (but I still do with sudo). Progress of sorts I suppose.

Hmm. I would try simply installing pulseaudio and see what happens

Go with the flow, man , we are all slaves to the Poettering.




--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.

---
* Origin: rbb.fidonet.fi - the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/10)

From: Adrian (2:221/10)
To: All
Date: Mon, 27.12.21 18:43
Re: Aplay without Sudo
From: Adrian <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff>

In message <sqcsnk$r3u$1@dont-email.me>, The Natural Philosopher
<tnp@invalid.invalid> writes
>Hmm. I would try simply installing pulseaudio and see what happens
>

I did before that posting, hence the change in behaviour.

>Go with the flow, man , we are all slaves to the Poettering.

B****r, I thought I'd escaped from slavery a while back.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "bulleid" with "adrian" - all mail to bulleid is rejected
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

---
* Origin: rbb.fidonet.fi - the fidonet nntp junction (2:221/10)

ABOUT

This forum contains echomail areas hosted on Nightmare BBS You can browse local echomail areas, italian fidonet areas and a selection of international fidonet areas, reading messages posted by users in Nightmare BBS or even other BBSs all over the world. You can find file areas too (functional to fidonet technology). You can browse echomail areas and download files with no registration, but if you want to write messages in echomail areas, or use fidonet netmail (private messages with fidomet technology), you have to register. Only a minimal set of data is required, functional to echomail and netmail usage (name, password, email); a registration and login with facebook is provided too, to allow easy registration. If you won't follow rules (each echomail areas has its own, regularly posted in the echomail), your account may be suspended;

CONTACT