Fidonet Portal

From: David Abutbul (2:400/55)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 21.07.18 02:42
CQCQ
Hello World

Recently got into FidoNet and this seems like an echoarea i will be intrested
in, however it also seems dead

so cq from 4Z7DVX

73s
kind regards

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Linux/64)
* Origin: Nephilim.abutbul.com - The mother ship is calling. (2:400/55)

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 21.07.18 15:43
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 07-21-18 00:42, David Abutbul wrote to All Hello World

DA> Recently got into FidoNet and this seems like an echoarea i will be
DA> intrested in, however it also seems dead

DA> so cq from 4Z7DVX

Hi David, welcome aboard. Smile Guess we have to liven it up. Smile

73 de VK3JED. Smile

... Sir, the Romulans do not take prisoners!
=== MultiMail/Win v0.51
--- SBBSecho 3.03-Linux
* Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)

From: David Abutbul (2:400/55)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 21.07.18 23:52
Re: CQCQ
RM> Hi David!

Hello Richard!

RM> There is amateur_radio with more traffic.
I will try this!
RM> You can also try to revive this one ;)
I will not try this Smile

RM> I am currently playing with my pi-star DMR hotspot.
RM> They have added POCSAG capabilities recently.
RM> Will try it out when I am back from my vacation.
Oh, may be able to catch up on DMR (4254039)
I never played around with POCSAG, I hope you have good fun!

RM> --- GoldED+/LNX

This ^^ In the past I used GoldED on DOS, will I be able to read my current
message bases with GoldED+ in Linux?

how does the config file looks like (if you don't mind me picking)

Kind Regards
David

From: David Abutbul (2:400/55)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 21.07.18 23:53
Re: CQCQ
AB> Hello David!
Hi Andy! Thanks for picking this up!

AB> DA> Recently got into FidoNet and this seems like an echoarea
AB> A lot of echo conferences are quiet these days but you never
AB> know who's lurking unless you key up. ;-)
Glad I did this time, see you around!

AB> 73 de KB9YLW.
73 kind regards,
David

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 22.07.18 14:29
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 07-21-18 10:50, Richard Menedetter wrote to David Abutbul Indeed ... very little traffic.
RM> There is amateur_radio with more traffic.

RM> You can also try to revive this one ;)

Worth a try. ;)

RM> I am currently playing with my pi-star DMR hotspot.
RM> They have added POCSAG capabilities recently.
RM> Will try it out when I am back from my vacation.

Interesting, so how is the POCSAG setup - or is that left to the hotspot owner
to set up what gets paged out?

... People who live in stone houses shouldn't throw glasses.

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 22.07.18 14:30
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 07-21-18 10:14, Andy Ball wrote to David Abutbul A lot of echo conferences are quiet these days but you never
AB> know who's lurking unless you key up. ;-)

Just like the bands. Very Happy

... Canadian DOS Prompt -- EH?:\>

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 22.07.18 14:35
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 07-21-18 21:52, David Abutbul wrote to Richard Menedetter Oh, may be able to catch up on DMR (4254039)

I'm on DMR as well, I have an OpenSpot.

DA> I never played around with POCSAG, I hope you have good fun!

I'm familiar with POCSAG as a user and scanner monitor. The fire service uses
it for alerting members to incidents, and I have a pager for that. I can see
value in a local pager for ham use, especially as I am not always able to leave
a rig running.

... Ham Radio Messages And Replies Will Be Sent In Morse Code.

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 22.07.18 14:36
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 07-21-18 21:53, David Abutbul wrote to Andy Ball know who's lurking unless you key up. ;-)
DA> Glad I did this time, see you around!

Stick around! Smile

... COUCH POTATO: What Mom finds under cushions after the kids eat dinner.

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 22.07.18 23:15
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 07-22-18 11:40, Richard Menedetter wrote to Tony Langdon Hi Tony!

RM> 22 Jul 2018 12:29, from Tony Langdon -> Richard Menedetter:

TL> Interesting, so how is the POCSAG setup - or is that left to the
TL> hotspot owner to set up what gets paged out?

RM> https://hampager.de

RM> I use a MMDVM HS_DUAL_HAT for the raspberry pi with pi-star.
RM> http://www.pistar.uk/

RM> You can group the pagers (eg countries) but I assume that most stuff
RM> gets paged out to everybody.
RM> I will know more when my pager is delivered (currently sold out).

You can always sniff out the POCSAG data stream, plenty of software for that,
like PDW (Windows). Smile

... Capt'n! The spellchecker kinna take this abuse!

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 22.07.18 23:16
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 07-22-18 11:44, Richard Menedetter wrote to Tony Langdon Hi Tony!

RM> 22 Jul 2018 12:35, from Tony Langdon -> David Abutbul:

TL> I'm on DMR as well, I have an OpenSpot.

RM> I have both.
RM> First bought OpenSpot, then MMDVM hat.

RM> They are both nice.
RM> But MMDVM is GREEEEEAT and much cheaper.
RM> Also open source.

The MMDVM is where I eventually want to go, ideally integrate it into my
repeater. Smile

... To boldly go where no sane man has any business...

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 24.07.18 21:24
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 07-23-18 23:00, Richard Menedetter wrote to Tony Langdon Hi Tony!

RM> 22 Jul 2018 21:15, from Tony Langdon -> Richard Menedetter:

TL> You can always sniff out the POCSAG data stream, plenty of software
TL> for that, like PDW (Windows). Smile

RM> I do not have any windows machine left ... (thanx god)
RM> Bur windows is not needed, I used this:
RM> rtl_fm -f 439987500 -l 48 -s 22.05k | ~/multimon-ng/build/multimon-ng
RM> -a scope -a POCSAG1200 -f alpha -t raw /dev/stdin

Yep, most people want to know a Windows option. Linux users tend to know how
to use Google and their package manager. Very Happy

RM> But I still want a hardware pager ;)

I can see one being useful. Smile Well, I do have a hardware pager, but it's
tuned to 149 (roughly) MHz and gets fire service pages. Oh, and it's not mine,
it belongs to the fire service. Very Happy

... I said Crusher, NOT Crush her! -Worf to his brother Kurn.

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 24.07.18 21:26
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 07-23-18 23:02, Richard Menedetter wrote to Tony Langdon Hi Tony!

RM> 22 Jul 2018 21:16, from Tony Langdon -> Richard Menedetter:

TL> The MMDVM is where I eventually want to go,
TL> ideally integrate it into my repeater. Smile

RM> MMDVM is great ;)
RM> What kind of repeater do you want to integrate it into?
RM> What power?

An existing FM repeater. The radios do pass digital modes (D-STAR has been
tested and works well on the hardware). A local ham has developed a controller
board that can integrate analogue and digital linking systems into the one
repeater.

... What sushi bar!? That was my aquarium!

From: David Abutbul (2:400/55)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 25.07.18 01:57
Re: CQCQ
Here to stay!

From: David Abutbul (2:400/55)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 25.07.18 02:06
Re: CQCQ
Hi Ricsi!

Sorry for taking some time to reply, still getting to know my mailer and its
perks and bugs. but I am definitely liking this enough to keep doing it in
the foreseeable future Smile

On 07/22/18, Richard Menedetter said the following..
RM> 21 Jul 2018 21:52, from David Abutbul -> Richard Menedetter: RM>
RM> RM>> You can also try to revive this one ;)
RM> DA> I will not try this Smile
RM> I think you just did ;)Wink
beginners' luck haha in echo revival

RM> RM>> I am currently playing with my pi-star DMR hotspot.
RM> RM>> They have added POCSAG capabilities recently.
RM> RM>> Will try it out when I am back from my vacation.
RM> DA> Oh, may be able to catch up on DMR (4254039)
RM> I am not using it too much.
RM> But who knows ... maybe we bump into each other.
RM> (DMR ID 2321042/2163045)
hope to talk to you there sometime!

RM> DA> I never played around with POCSAG, I hope you
have good fun!
RM> Indeed I have ;)

RM> I want to buy Alphapoc Pagers, but they are sold out and will come back
RM> in some weeks.
RM> There is also a chinese seller for another POCSAG pager, but it will cost
RM> basically the same ... so I will stay with alphapoc.
If you can avoid buying crap made in china with 0 QC/QA then by all means do
so.

RM> RM>> --- GoldED+/LNX
RM> DA> This ^^ In the past I used GoldED on DOS, will I be able to read my
RM> DA> current message bases with GoldED+ in Linux?
RM> Sure!
Best thing I heard today!

RM> DA> how does the config file looks like (if you don't mind me picking)
RM> Mine is quit complex.
RM> But I am sure we can help you.
RM> Feel free to contact me via NM or in the golded echo.
Thank you for your generous offer to help.

RM> Here is the commented advanced config:
RM> http://odroid.ricsi.priv.at/advanced.cfg
RM> You do NOT need to go that complex ;)
Going to give it a run!

I will keep you posted here, hopefully with the right tagline Smile

Kind Regards + 73s
David

From: David Abutbul (2:400/55)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 25.07.18 02:13
Re: CQCQ
Hi Tony

On 07/22/18, Tony Langdon said the following...
TL> -=> On 07-21-18 21:52, David Abutbul wrote to Richard Menedetter DA> Oh, may be able to catch up on DMR (4254039)
TL> I'm on DMR as well, I have an OpenSpot.
I am using a Hytera/Tytera/(shi) 380 with a customized firmware. I have local
repeaters routing me to the big talkgroups 91 3200 etc but can also probably
find some slots to dial up since our relays here are often silent. Sad

TL> DA> I never played around with POCSAG, I hope you have good fun!
TL> I'm familiar with POCSAG as a user and scanner monitor. The fire
TL> service uses it for alerting members to incidents, and I have a pager
TL> for that. I can see value in a local pager for ham use, especially as I
TL> am not always able to leave a rig running.

do you get POCSAG signal via some satellite subscription or can anyone send
and receive those for free?

Kind Regards,
David

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 25.07.18 13:07
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 07-24-18 15:03, Richard Menedetter wrote to Tony Langdon Sounds interesting ...
RM> Would be great if you could keep us updated on this ;)

Sure, it has been in the pipeline a while, and with the summer sporting season
coming into view, it's probably going to have to take a back seat for a bit
longer. Have to buy new shoes, pay season fees for next summer, etc. Smile

RM> PS: Just ordered my POCSAG Pager + one additional for a friend.

Nice, am I your friend? ;)

... Disassembler: An unattended 5 year old child.

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 25.07.18 13:08
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 07-24-18 23:57, David Abutbul wrote to Tony Langdon Here to stay!

Now that's great news! Smile

... */ \* <- Tribbles having a swordfight.

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 25.07.18 13:12
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 07-25-18 00:13, David Abutbul wrote to Tony Langdon I am using a Hytera/Tytera/(shi) 380 with a customized firmware. I have
DA> local repeaters routing me to the big talkgroups 91 3200 etc but can
DA> also probably find some slots to dial up since our relays here are
DA> often silent. Sad

Oh, OK. I haven't been on DMR for a while, but have hung out on the VK
talkgroups. Smile

TL> DA> I never played around with POCSAG, I hope you have good fun!
TL> I'm familiar with POCSAG as a user and scanner monitor. The fire
TL> service uses it for alerting members to incidents, and I have a pager
TL> for that. I can see value in a local pager for ham use, especially as I
TL> am not always able to leave a rig running.

DA> do you get POCSAG signal via some satellite subscription or can anyone
DA> send and receive those for free?

The system I described is for emergency service use, it's internal to the
emergency services - i.e. between dispatch and members, with some degree of
member to member messaging possible. From what I understand, there's almost
200 transmitters spread across the state, simulcasting the traffic on the same
frequency, so my pager works anywhere within the state.

... I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 25.07.18 15:06
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 07-25-18 00:06, David Abutbul wrote to Richard Menedetter Hi Ricsi!

DA> Sorry for taking some time to reply, still getting to know my mailer
DA> and its perks and bugs. but I am definitely liking this enough to keep
DA> doing it in the foreseeable future Smile

Cool, good to have you around, and another echo come alive as a bonus. Smile

DA> beginners' luck haha in echo revival

Either that or you're a digital paramedic. Very Happy

RM> (DMR ID 2321042/2163045)
DA> hope to talk to you there sometime!

Hmm, we'll all have to see if we can find each other on DMR. Smile

DA> If you can avoid buying crap made in china with 0 QC/QA then by all
DA> means do so.

That's always a good strategy. I had a look at the AlphaPOC site and saw some
nice options. Now if I can get a local POCSAG paging system in the house
working, and have it programmable, so I can use scripts to send customised
pages, it would be very useful to me. Smile

... Ambition is the last refuge of the failure.

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 28.07.18 11:53
Re: CQCQ
-=> On 07-27-18 16:34, Richard Menedetter wrote to Tony Langdon Nice, am I your friend? ;)

RM> Sure ... but not the one I bought the POCSAG pager for ;)

Damn, I tried. Very Happy

... Alien plot? What have you heard of an alien plot?