Fidonet Portal

From: Carol Shenkenberger (1:275/100)
To: All
Date: Wed, 05.12.12 23:18
FTS-5000.003
> Hi! Carol,
>
> In a message to Roy Witt you wrote:
>
> CS> SELECT AP.NM, AP.RANK, C.COURSE, C.COURSE_TITLE, TO_CHAR(C.COMPL_DT,
> CS> 'YYYY/MM'DD'Wink COMPL_DT FROM ALL_PERS AP INNER JOIN COURSES C ON
> CS> AP.SSN=C.SSN AND COURSE LIKE 'COOKING%' ORDER BY C.COURSE,
> CS> AP.NM
>
> CS> Thats made up but shows a basic readable query for non-oracle folks
> CS> well enough to follow.
>
> It looks very SQL-ish. Both are like dBASE on steroids+other bad, bad thing
> It ain't simple, English-like, any more.

Snicker, it was closer than some of the more arcane items that could be used.

> The AND looks uncomfortable. Are you sure? Oh, it's okay. Figured it. It
> a search parameter on the JOIN. I was used to using FOR in dBASE, I think.
> That was so long ago. That last time was April 2006, working on my JamNNTPd
> configuration.

SQL versions vary a bit so this one was oracle. If you were used to MS SQL
or SYBASE, some of the keys would be a bit different.

I'm currently at work converting some of my queries to use :str bind
variables as they upgraded an interface to allow them now. I know the
concept but the access to actually try it is new. I'm keepin gthat all on
the test server for now.

If it helps, I work of an EDW with about 700 tables but i mostly stick to
about 50 of them and seldom need more than 5 in a single query. I spend
about 30% of my time updating some 15 of those tables with changed data.

I've looked at playing with the nodelist (easy stuff with the format of comma
delimited to render to a table) but it is a bit of a hash in the order people
do things. It would be easier to separate it to multiple tables then Pkey
some areas.

Pretend for a moment that we did not have an established achetecture and tool
set. Zone/net/node in a master table with BBSname entry and location data.
Next would be a Zone/net/nod PKey with modem information and null values if
they have none. Then IP table with same PKey set and the IP fields. INA a
seconday indexexed set and added the the first table. A 4th one with TYZ and
user comment spots with same PKey. Want a nodelist? Just tell me how you
want it sliced and diced.

Might end up with a few more tables but that fleshes out the basics.
xxcarol
--- SBBSecho 2.11-Win32
* Origin: SHENK'S EXPRESS telnet://shenks.synchro.net (1:275/100)