Fidonet Portal

From: JIM WELLER (2:335/364)
To: All
Date: Sat, 27.01.18 19:44
leeks
-=> Quoting Shawn Highfield to Jim Weller <=-

SH> I don't mind potato and leek soup, but never eaten a leek any
SH> other way.

I like leeks and use them often in all sorts of dishes besides the
classic potato soup. And I use the whole thing. The green tops are
good diced and stir fried briefly in hot oil til they are bright
emerald green and then used as a garnish much like you'd use raw
chopped scallions or chives.

MMMMM-----Meal-Master - formatted by MMCONV 2.10

Title: Lentil Soup With Meatballs - Linzensoep
Categories: Dutch, Soups, Beef, Groundmeat, Beans
Servings: 4

500 g lentils
100 g bacon or salted pork
2 sl whole wheat bread
2 sl white bread
100 ml milk
200 g lean ground beef
1 sm leek
2 lg onions
6 carrots
3 potatoes
2 parsley with roots
salt, pepper and nutmeg
bread crumbs
20 g margarine
1 bay leaf mace
1/2 chili pepper

Rinse the lentils and wash them thoroughly. Put the bay leaf, chili
pepper and mace in a piece of linen cloth and tie it shut for a
bouquet garni. Cube the bacon/pork and fry it slowly in a large pan.
Cube the whole wheat bread, slice the carrots and leek into thin
rings, peel and dice the potatoes. Cut off, but keep the top of the
parsley, wash the roots thoroughly and add bread, carrots, potatoes
and parsley roots to the frying bacon.

Saute the vegetables with the bacon and add the lentils and 200 ml
slated water. Drop in the bouquet garni and cook the mix for 1 hour.
Cut off the crusts of the white bread and soak the remainder in
milk. Squeeze out the milk and mix the bread through the ground
beef, together with some salt, pepper and nutmeg. Divide the ground
beef into quarter-sized balls and roll those through the (fine)
bread crumbs. In a frying pan, heat the margarine and fry the ground
beef balls. Take them out and drain them on absorbent paper. Finely
chop the parsley.

From: Www.Godutch.Com

MMMMM-------------------------------------------------

Cheers

Jim

... Your dog needs meat and your kids need vaccines.

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.20
* Origin: Fido Since 1991 | QWK by Web | BBS.DOCSPLACE.ORG (2:335/364)

From: Dale Shipp (2:335/364)
To: All
Date: Thu, 01.02.18 01:03
Re: leeks
-=> On 01-27-18 19:44, Jim Weller <=-
-=> spoke to Shawn Highfield about leeks <=-

JW> I like leeks and use them often in all sorts of dishes besides the
JW> classic potato soup. And I use the whole thing. The green tops are
JW> good diced and stir fried briefly in hot oil til they are bright
JW> emerald green and then used as a garnish much like you'd use raw
JW> chopped scallions or chives.

On some cooking show that we were watching a while back (Iron Chef?Wink,
they were frying herbs such as basil to be used as a garnish. I wonder
what they end up tasting like?

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Parchment Wrapped Chicken
Categories: Oriental, Appetizer, Chicken, Steamed, D/g
Yield: 8 servings

2 Whole chicken breasts,
Skinned and boned
3 tb Dark soy sauce
1 ts Ginger juice*
1/4 ts Sugar
Boiling Water
1/2 lb Fresh bean sprouts
6 Green onions with tops, cut
Into 2 inch lengths and
Slivered
1/3 c Chopped walnuts
8 8 inch squares of parchment
Paper

PAPER

Cut eight 8 inch squares of parchment paper.

INGREDIENTS

Cut chicken into thin, narrow strips, about 3 inches long. Combine
soy sauce, ginger juice and sugar in large bowl; stir in chicken, let
stand 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, pour boiling water over bean sprouts; let stand one minute.
Drain; cool under cold water and drain well.

Thoroughly toss chicken mixture with bean sprouts, green onions and
walnuts.

Place about 1/2 cupful of chicken mixture in center of each parchment
square. Fold bottom point of parchment over filling; crease just
below filling and fold point over and under filling. Fold side
points over filling, overlapping slightly. Crease paper to hold
folds. Fold remaining corner down so point extends below bottom of
bundle; tuck this point between folded sides. Crease paper to hold
folds. Repeat with remaining parchment squares. (Ends up looking
like small envelope, with flap tucked under bundle)

Place bundles seam side down, in single lalyer on steamer rack. Set
rack in large pot or wok of boiling water. (Do not let water level
reach the bundles) Cover and steam about 7 minutes or until chicken
is tender. Serve immediately

*Peel fresh ginger root, then squeeze through garlic press.

MMMMM

... Shipwrecked on Hesperus in Columbia, Maryland. 01:05:39, 01 Feb 2018
___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
* Origin: Owl's Anchor (2:335/364)

From: Dave Drum (2:335/364)
To: All
Date: Sun, 04.02.18 08:05
Re: leeks
-=> JIM WELLER wrote to DALE SHIPP <=-

JW> The green tops are good diced and stir fried briefly in hot oil

DS> On some cooking show that we were watching a while back (Iron Chef?Wink,
DS> they were frying herbs such as basil to be used as a garnish. I
DS> wonder what they end up tasting like?

JW> The only fresh herbs I've ever fried like that are leek greens
JW> unless you consider dipping fairly large herb sprigs or flower
JW> clusters in batter and making tempura or fritters of them (where the
JW> flavour is largely lost.Wink

Errrrmmmmmm garnish is for pretty, not for taste. Bv)=

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.04

Title: Batter-Fried Squash Blossoms
Categories: Appetizers, Breads, Snacks
Yield: 8 servings

36 lg Squash blossoms; picked just
- about to open (male
- blossoms are larger)
1 c Milk
1 tb Flour
1 ts Salt
1/8 ts Fresh ground pepper
1/2 c Cooking oil
Paprika

In a shaker jar, combine milk, flour, salt and pepper.
Place squash blossoms in large pie tin and gently pour
the milk-flour mixture over them. Heat the oil in a large
heavy skillet until a drop of water will sizzle. Fry the
batter-coated blossoms in the hot oil until golden brown;
drain on paper towels and sprinkle with paprika. Serve
hot.

Squash blossoms are considered the greatest of delicacies
by the Zuni. Choicest of all are the largest male
flowers, which are carefully gathered from the vine,
fried in deep fat, and served as an appetizer or used as
a seasoning for vegetables, soups and stews.

POSTED BY: Loren Marti

FROM: The Art of American Indian Cooking by Yeffe
: Kimball and Jean Anderson, Avon Books, New
: York, NY, 1965.

RECIPE FROM: http://www.recipesource.com

Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

... "Nature has given us two ears but only one mouth." -- Benjamin Disraeli
--- MultiMail/Win32
* Origin: Outpost BBS * Limestone, TN, USA (2:335/364)

From: Dave Drum (1:18/200)
To: All
Date: Sun, 11.02.18 07:26
Re: leeks
-=> JIM WELLER wrote to DAVE DRUM <=-

DD> Ramps are free

JW> They run around $20 per pound in farmer's markets.

JW> For clarity .... along the Eastern Seaboard.

JW> Wild ramps are becoming scarce ere and have become a vulnerable or
JW> endangered species in some areas over the past 20 years because they
JW> have become so popular and they are being over harvested. For
JW> example, top of the page in a Google search, in Quebec the plant is
JW> listed as threatened and its sale has been banned since 1995. Also
JW> in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in North Carolina and
JW> Tennessee, ramp harvesting has been banned since 2004.

Fortunately not in the Great American Outback. Of course Mr. Property
Owner can be dog-in-the-manger about harvesting unless you ask first --
which is just common courtesy. And will save those trespassing fines.

JW> As an aside, there are no native alliums of any kind anywhere in the
JW> NWT.

Imagine that. The mind boggles. Bv)=

DD> Maybe in your farmer's markets

JW> There are none within 500 miles of me; I live way beyond the limits
JW> of agriculture.

Imagine that. The mind boggles. Bv)=

DD> Ramps and wild onions are as common as quackgrass, sorrel and timothy
DD> around here.

JW> Yes, I did find Google articles about harvesters getting just $8
JW> per pound at wholesale in Illinois. Still more expensive than
JW> quackgrass though!

More expensive because there is a market - but no less common.

DD> Spring onions/scallion

JW> I was at the supermarket recently and threw some on a scale:
JW> They run $1.19 here for a 4 oz bunch so, $4.76 per lb.

JW> A bundle of 3 leeks priced at $3.39 weighed 27 oz so $2.01 per lb.
JW> Still more dear than onions at $5.99 for a 10 lb bag.

The difference being in the harvesting and processing (if any) of the
product and the scale on which it is grown.

JW> And I use the whole thing, not just the white part, so it's good
JW> value.

DD> Errrrmmmmmm garnish is for pretty, not for taste.

JW> They should do both.

DD> Then kindly explain the tasteless sprigs of curly-leaf parsley that
DD> restaurants put on almost every plate as "garnish".

JW> That was a fad in the 80s especially at seafood places but I haven't
JW> seen a silly parsley sprig garnish for decades. I do like freshly
JW> chopped Italian flat leave parsley sprinkled over all sorts of
JW> things from soups and chowders to hearty stews and Ital-American red
JW> sauce dishes, for both looks and taste.

Not just seafood joints. I've gotten it on a cheeburger/fries plate. FEH!

JW> Speaking of Italians and parsley I am reminded of an old joke about
JW> the parsley Mafia leaning on restaurants. "Your fire insurance is
JW> gonna run ya a hundert a week and so's your plate glass window
JW> insurance. And here's the names of your new meat supplier, liquor
JW> wholesaler, garbage collector and laundry service. Oh yeah, I'm
JW> puttin' you down for 2 cases of parsley a week too."

JW> Today's thought that makes you go h'mmmm... If you are over 18 and
JW> under 21 you can be arrested for drinking alcohol and charged as an
JW> adult for being under age!

Life's little ironies. Or, as Admiral Bob once famously uttered, "God is
an iron."

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Oh The Irony - Homemade Dumpling Wrappers
Categories: Five, Breads
Yield: 50 wraps

2 c All-purpose flour
1/2 ts Salt
1 ts Oil
3/4 c Hot water

In a large heatproof bowl, combine the flour and salt.

Add in hot water and oil and stir vigorously with the
weapon of your choice. I like chopsticks.

You’ll be presented with flaky lumps of dough. Knead the
lumps together with your hands (it’s not that hot) until
you get a relatively smooth dough.

Wrap the dough in cling foil or put it in a plastic
baggie and rest it for 20 mins.

After 20 mins, the dough will be soft and smooth. Time to
roll it out.

If you’re cheating and using a pasta roller like i did,
simply roll it out as thin as you like ( I rolled till
setting 7) and cut out with a large round cookie cutter.

If you’re going old school and rolling out by hand, you
have two options:

Roll out sheets of dough as thin as you can and cut out
with a cookie cutter to get uniform wrappers.

Divide and roll the dough out into grape-sized balls and
roll them out as thin as you can to get rustic wrappers.

Dust each wrapper liberally with cornstarch before
stacking to avoid them sticking together.

Makes 50

* NOTE: If you’re rolling by hand, you will most
definitely get a lot less than 50 wrappers.

RECIPE FROM: https://corianderandgarlic.wordpress.com

Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

... "The choicest pleasure of life lie withing the ring of moderation"
Disraeli
--- MultiMail/Win32
* Origin: Outpost BBS * Limestone, TN, USA (1:18/200)