Fidonet Portal

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Mon, 20.07.20 14:18
Mint 20 "Ulyana"
I upgraded to Mint 20 "Ulyana" without hesitating. I thought it would be
great, but shortly afterwards I noticed my CD/DVD ROM was no longer working,
and neither was my sound card.

There's a few ways to upgrade - I did it the online way, where there was no
USB or DVD involved. Maybe I messed something up along the way, but ending up
without hardware support was a nasty surprise.

So then I installed the latest version of Ubuntu, and all my hardware is
working again. On top of that, Ubuntu is smoother than it was 10 years ago;
it's got less bloat on the desktop, even less than Mint 19 had.

On a fresh install, Mint has a bunch of quirks that I always needed to hammer
out. But not Ubuntu - it's smooth as can be.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757)
To: All
Date: Mon, 20.07.20 11:48
Re: Mint 20 "Ulyana"
Aaron Thomas wrote to All:

AT> I upgraded to Mint 20 "Ulyana" without hesitating. I thought it would be
AT> great, but shortly afterwards I noticed my CD/DVD ROM was no longer
AT> working, and neither was my sound card.

I need to load the sg module lately to access the CD/DVD, I'm not sure why
or what changed.

Run (as root)..

modprobe sg

AT> On a fresh install, Mint has a bunch of quirks that I always needed to
AT> hammer out. But not Ubuntu - it's smooth as can be.

Yep, that's true. On Ubuntu you may not even need to "modprobe sg", it might
be smart enough to just do that.

Ttyl Smile,
Al

... It is broke. It will not work. It does not go.

--- MBSE BBS v1.0.7.17 (GNU/Linux-x86_64)
* Origin: The Rusty MailBox - Penticton, BC Canada (1:153/757)

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Mon, 20.07.20 22:25
Re: Mint 20 "Ulyana"
AI> Yep, that's true. On Ubuntu you may not even need to "modprobe sg", it migh
AI> be smart enough to just do that.

Thanks for that tip. It could happen again in the future, but I'm gonna stick
with Ubuntu.

At first I thought I'd try Debian. Isn't that an ancestor of Ubuntu? But I
chose Ubuntu because it seems to be the choice of many people, including
Dreamhost.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Mike Powell (1:2320/105)
To: All
Date: Tue, 21.07.20 16:18
Re: Mint 20 "Ulyana"
> At first I thought I'd try Debian. Isn't that an ancestor of Ubuntu? But I
> chose Ubuntu because it seems to be the choice of many people, including
> Dreamhost.

Yes, Ubuntu is a Debian derivative.

* SLMR 2.1a * "Silence. Music's original alternative. Roots-grunge!"
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)

From: Benny Pedersen (2:230/0)
To: All
Date: Tue, 11.08.20 12:53
Re: Mint 20 "Ulyana"
Hello Aaron!

20 Jul 2020 22:25, Aaron Thomas wrote to Alan Ianson:

AI>> Yep, that's true. On Ubuntu you may not even need to "modprobe sg", it
AI>> migh be smart enough to just do that.

AT> Thanks for that tip. It could happen again in the future, but I'm
AT> gonna stick with Ubuntu.

AT> At first I thought I'd try Debian. Isn't that an ancestor of Ubuntu?

its reverse, ubuntu is forked from debian

AT> But I chose Ubuntu because it seems to be the choice of many people,
AT> including Dreamhost.

62 millions wordpress users ignore security in wordpress

Regards Benny

... there can only be one way of life, and it works Smile

--- Msged/LNX 6.1.2 (Linux/5.8.0-gentoo-r1-x86_64 (x86_64)Wink
* Origin: I will always keep a PC running CPM 3.0 (2:230/0)

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Tue, 11.08.20 16:15
Re: Mint 20 "Ulyana"
BP> AT> But I chose Ubuntu because it seems to be the choice of many people,
BP> AT> including Dreamhost.
BP>
BP> 62 millions wordpress users ignore security in wordpress

Are there 62 million Wordpress sites? That's a lot! Which security measures
are they ignoring?

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Nigel Reed (1:124/5016)
To: All
Date: Wed, 12.08.20 11:49
Re: Mint 20 "Ulyana"
Aaron wrote:
> I upgraded to Mint 20 "Ulyana" without hesitating. I thought it would be
> great, but shortly afterwards I noticed my CD/DVD ROM was no longer working,
> and neither was my sound card.
>
> On a fresh install, Mint has a bunch of quirks that I always needed to hammer

> out. But not Ubuntu - it's smooth as can be.

I had always been happy with Mandrake/Mandriva and their urpmi system. In the
end I switcehd to CentOS because all the work stuff I was doing was CentOS or
Red Hat based so it made sense. It took me a while to get used to rpm.

However I got very frustrated by how far back some packages are, yes I didn't
really want to be on the bleeding edge of Fedora, since I tresrure my data and
don't want to lose it.

That's when I decided to switch to Ubuntu. I was using it previous for my BBS
anyway because the DOSEMU for running 16 bit games under Linux just worked
when I was struggling with CentOS.

Now, I've converted all my systems to Ubuntu 20.04. Everything works, and it's
much more current without risking too much.
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: End Of The Line BBS - endofthelinebbs.com (1:124/5016)

From: Benny Pedersen (2:230/0)
To: All
Date: Wed, 12.08.20 22:49
Re: Mint 20 "Ulyana"
Hello Aaron!

11 Aug 2020 16:15, Aaron Thomas wrote to Benny Pedersen:

AT> Are there 62 million Wordpress sites? That's a lot! Which security
AT> measures are they ignoring?

live updates, that breaks tripwire signatures, design of how wordpress is
secure is badly brokken, updates are fine if its done in normal spec file for
building binaries pkgs to be installed

at first i thinked its only a gentoo problem, but no its not, would you replace
a kernel with something builded at microsoft that clams is latest linux version
we provide you free of charge ?

i wont blame wordpress developpers, but i do blame package maintainers that
does not do it right

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Wed, 12.08.20 20:30
Re: Mint 20 "Ulyana"
NR> Now, I've converted all my systems to Ubuntu 20.04. Everything works, and i
NR> much more current without risking too much.

The hardware support is there too! Some of these developers think one size
fits all, but there are people out there using all kinds of ancient
printers/scanners/etc. It's a lousy suprise to find them abandoned by your
favorite OS.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Wed, 12.08.20 20:35
Re: Mint 20 "Ulyana"
BP> live updates, that breaks tripwire signatures, design of how wordpress is
BP> secure is badly brokken, updates are fine if its done in normal spec file f
BP> building binaries pkgs to be installed

Live updates for Wordpress or for plugins? To me, it seems like a bad idea
regardless. You know how sometimes plugins start to conflict after an update?

What do you mean by normal spec file building? I apologize, I don't understand
that.

BP> at first i thinked its only a gentoo problem, but no its not, would you
BP> replace a kernel with something builded at microsoft that clams is latest

Who is doing that? That sounds crazy! Unless it's inadvertant? I assume that
none of us want to be dependent on Microsoft.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Benny Pedersen (2:230/0)
To: All
Date: Fri, 14.08.20 13:33
Re: Mint 20 "Ulyana"
Hello Aaron!

12 Aug 2020 20:35, Aaron Thomas wrote to Benny Pedersen:

BP>> live updates, that breaks tripwire signatures, design of how wordpress
BP>> is secure is badly brokken, updates are fine if its done in normal spec
BP>> file f building binaries pkgs to be installed

AT> Live updates for Wordpress or for plugins?

both

AT> To me, it seems like a bad
AT> idea regardless.

yes since gentoo have md5 of every installed file in portage, so basicly
wordpress webupdate is designed to clue less we want updates, more or less
maybe just how its creeamed in centos

AT> You know how sometimes plugins start to conflict after an
AT> update?

yes, words press is more stable if no webupdates or any update or even just new
plugins is installed, to solve it all kind of plugins or even just themes must
be in the tarball, so gentoo and other can verify md5 of every file installed

tripwire will be happy aswell there, but tripwire is just not needed with
gentoo Smile

AT> What do you mean by normal spec file building?

take a 10Gb tarball custommize the spec file for what you need, then compile it
and install the binaries compiled install, that way no one on remote can update
it

AT> I apologize, I don't understand that.

fair

BP>> at first i thinked its only a gentoo problem, but no its not, would
BP>> you replace a kernel with something builded at microsoft that clams is
BP>> latest

AT> Who is doing that?

hopefully none

AT> That sounds crazy!

Donald Trump is normal ?

AT> Unless it's inadvertant?

maybe

AT> I assume that none of us want to be dependent on Microsoft.

+1, i still have microsoft roms in my commodore 128 (basic), that is imho crime
that it was alowed to be there without full asm source, commodore did not
notice the risk of no more updates, it was silently killing old and good
computer systems so microsoft could take another ride at new problems to solve