Fidonet Portal

From: Alexey Vissarionov (2:5020/545)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.11.12 17:07
FTS-5000.003
Good ${greeting_time}, Carol!

26 Nov 2012 21:13:48, you wrote to me:

>> CS> Probably not but there's a few tricks that could be used.
>>
>> Can you show some?
CS> Anyone can. This is more development idea as in a possible method to
CS> get an IPV6 into a phone field when we know almost all mailers take
CS> characters in there. The // might be a problem though.

Are you really unable to realise that is a source of troubles?

CS> The real issue is do we really want IPV6 'numbers' in the phoen
CS> field?

We don't want to use this field for anything other than intended (phone numbers
or special string to denote that node hasn't one).

>> let's move to FTSC_PUBLIC
CS> Looks like you already moved a discussion of a possible idea to
CS> public so lets run with it.

Yes - I was planning to ask the public if they've seen it used anywhere Smile

CS> For the rest, this is how you grow an idea. Look at it, play with
CS> it, se if something useful comes back. Maybe another tactic than
CS> this one but it's a brainstorming session now shifted here before it
CS> was ready for public review.

For brainstorming, the earlier is the better.

CS> Short version: if we need to preserve IP in phone field with IPV6, we
CS> need to find a way to shorten it but we have more room characterwise
CS> than you may think.

We don't, unless someone will prove the opposite. For me, the idea of using
something in the improper manner seems like creating problems to yourself and
then solving them.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
gremlin.ru!gremlin; +vii-cmiii-ccxxix-lxxix-xlii

... :wq!
--- /bin/vi
* Origin: http://openwall.com/Owl (2:5020/545)