Fidonet Portal

From: Maurice Kinal (1:261/38.9)
To: All
Date: Wed, 27.06.12 09:24
a neat little test of utf-8
Hey Alexey!

AV> be smart with input, be strict with output.

I am not sure how the CHRS kludge fits into the above but I do know that you
can and do get this stuff right so on your recommendation I have adjusted it
accordingly. Besides it appears the site I dropped the level part in the first
place is somewhat in error with respect to CP437 so it doesn't seem to matter
so may as well break everything. ;-)

For the record, I noticed on the msged changelog that they are dropping the
level parameter and whatever codepage level 2 is assumed. Obviously I am not
the only one who recognizes bogus output when I see it. As for input I don't
trust what the CHRS kludge claims with or without the level parameter. How
about you?

Also while I have your attention, I reported CP866 -> UTF-8 on-the-fly web
based conversion and later recalled that it was actually KOI8-R -> UTF-8
on-the-fly web based conversion. The only CP866 <-> UTF-8 conversion done here
has been netmail although I think I sent at least one echomail in CP866 in the
LINUX echo which properly displayed (finally!Wink on smekal.ru.

Speaking of smekal.ru, what it going on there? Looks to me like a major
overhaul of some sort.

Life is good,
Maurice

... Possunt quia posse videntur.
--- GNU bash, version 4.2.29(2)-release (x86_64-atom-linux-gnu)
* Origin: Pointy Stick Society (1:261/38.9)