Fidonet Portal

From: Ched Chellios (1:226/16)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 07.11.19 04:29
Workbench 1.3
Hello,

Is it possible to run C=Net or AmigaExpress under Amiga Forever with Workbench
1.3 installed and running?

Thanks

--- ENiGMA 1/2 v0.0.10-alpha (linux; x64; 10.15.2)
* Origin: The Amiga Frontier BBS |frontierbbs.net:8888| OH (1:226/16)

From: Al DeRosa (1:267/157)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 07.11.19 21:51
Re: Workbench 1.3
On 07 Nov 2019, Ched Chellios said the following...

CC> Hello,
CC>
CC> Is it possible to run C=Net or AmigaExpress under Amiga Forever with
CC> Workbench 1.3 installed and running?
CC>
CC> Thanks

I would doubt they would run on 1.3, I don't remember if 1.3 had Hard Drive
compatibility?!?! You are running Amiga Forever just use 3.1 that comes with
it. CNet runs great under that.. I currently run CNet under 3.9 and have run
it under 4.1 but it's a little rough around the edges on 4.1..

* Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (1:267/157)

From: Gary McCulloch (1:154/50)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 08.11.19 12:10
Re: Workbench 1.3
On Thu 7-Nov-2019 3:29a, Ched Chellios@1:226/16.0 wrote:
CC> Hello,

CC> Is it possible to run C=Net or AmigaExpress under Amiga Forever with
CC> Workbench
CC> 1.3 installed and running?

CC> Thanks

CC> --- ENiGMA 1/2 v0.0.10-alpha (linux; x64; 10.15.2)
CC> * Origin: The Amiga Frontier BBS |frontierbbs.net:8888| OH (1:226/16)

I ran C-Net 3.5 on WorkBench 1.3 a long time ago on real hardware.
Like Al says, I think you should try v5 on WB3.1 or better.

/ JoinLink - AmigaNet - ArakNet - C=Net - FidoNet - RetroNet.
/ Multi-Terminal Support: ANSI Ascii & Skypix! 40/80 Columns.
--- CNet/5
* Origin: Reign of Fire: rofbbs.cnetbbs.net:2300 * (931)494-9100 (1:154/50)

From: Niklas Lindholm (2:201/420)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 12.11.19 12:22
Re: Workbench 1.3
AD> I don't remember if 1.3 had Hard Drive compatibility?!?!

AmigaOs 1.3 was the first version that could boot directly from a hard drive.
Earlier versions could use them but you needed to boot from a floppy.

--- NiKom v2.5.0
* Origin: NiKom BBS, http://www.nikom.org/nikombbs.html (2:201/420.0)

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/16)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 30.11.19 08:53
Re: Workbench 1.3
On Nov 7th 10:30 pm Al DeRosa said...
AD> comes with it. CNet runs great under that.. I currently run CNet under
AD> 3.9 and have run it under 4.1 but it's a little rough around the edges on
AD> 4.1..
AD> --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)

I had the wrong version of Amiga Forever, I just upgraded it so I can now use
WB 3.x.. gonna have some fun! Smile

From: Al DeRosa (1:267/157)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 02.12.19 20:37
Re: Workbench 1.3
On 30 Nov 2019, Charles Stephenson said the following...

CS> I had the wrong version of Amiga Forever, I just upgraded it so I can
CS> now use WB 3.x.. gonna have some fun! Smile

Nice.. You will like 3.x whether it is 3.1.4 or 3.9, even 3.1 with the right
addon's they are all really good. I run my BBS on 3.9, it is very stable and
runs very nice..

* Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (1:267/157)

From: Gary McCulloch (1:154/50)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 02.12.19 22:38
Re: Workbench 1.3
WB3.1 has been my backbone for the last 9 years. Its just enough to
run a dedicated BBS. Now for playing around with WB3.9 would be nice. I am
thinking on re-doing my Amiga Laptop to a new version of WB over 3.1

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/16)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 09.12.19 00:15
Re: Workbench 1.3
On Dec 6th 2:57 am Al DeRosa said...

AD> On 30 Nov 2019, Charles Stephenson said the following...
AD> CS> I had the wrong version of Amiga Forever, I just upgraded it
AD> CS> so I can now use WB 3.x.. gonna have some fun! Smile
AD>
AD>
AD>
AD> Nice.. You will like 3.x whether it is 3.1.4 or 3.9, even 3.1 with the
AD> right addon's they are all really good. I run my BBS on 3.9, it is very
AD> stable and runs very nice..
AD> --- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/03 (Windows/32)

Are you running it under Windows or Linux?

From: Benny Pedersen (2:230/0)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 16.01.20 10:49
Re: Workbench 1.3
Hello Niklas!

12 Nov 2019 11:22, Niklas Lindholm wrote to Al DeRosa:

AD>> I don't remember if 1.3 had Hard Drive compatibility?!?!

NL> AmigaOs 1.3 was the first version that could boot directly from a hard
NL> drive. Earlier versions could use them but you needed to boot from a
NL> floppy.

correct, it was just evolution harddisk that maked a hack to make it boot on
kickstart 1.2

crap, but it worked Smile

Regards Benny

... there can only be one way of life, and it works Smile

--- Msged/LNX 6.1.2 (Linux/5.4.12-gentoo-x86_64 (x86_64)Wink
* Origin: I will always keep a PC running CPM 3.0 (2:230/0)

From: Phil Taylor (1:275/201.30)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 18.04.20 19:26
Re: Workbench 1.3
I am using Workbench 3.1 on the harddrive and its working fine for me.

--- CNet/5
* Origin: 1:275/201.0 (1:275/201.30)

From: Joacim Melin (2:221/242)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 19.04.20 23:30
Re: Workbench 1.3
PT> I am using Workbench 3.1 on the harddrive and its working fine for
PT> me.

Ditto.

--- NiKom v2.5.0
* Origin: Delta City (deltacity.se, Vallentuna, Sweden) (2:221/242.0)

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 20.04.20 22:18
Re: Workbench 1.3
Re: Re: Workbench 1.3
By: Al DeRosa to Charles Stephenson on Mon Dec 02 2019 07:37 pm

CS>> I had the wrong version of Amiga Forever, I just upgraded it so I
CS>> can now use WB 3.x.. gonna have some fun! Smile

AD> Nice.. You will like 3.x whether it is 3.1.4 or 3.9, even 3.1 with the
AD> right addon's they are all really good. I run my BBS on 3.9, it is very
AD> stable and runs very nice..

Hello Al!

This is a VERY old email, and since I JUST got fido working again on this BBS
it's new to me! Smile

I've bought Amiga Forever I've been playing with it. I REALLY like it. My goal
is to run a Amiga VM in Ubuntu and set up Amiga Express and setup a true Amiga
BBS. Since I have Corona I'll have time to do it now....
--- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
* Origin: The New Frontier ][ BBS [frontierbbs.net:23] - OH (1:226/17)

From: Gary McCulloch (1:154/50)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 20.04.20 22:37
Re: Workbench 1.3
On Mon 20-Apr-2020 8:18p, Charles Stephenson@1:226/17.0 said to Al Derosa:
CS> I've bought Amiga Forever I've been playing with it. I REALLY like it. My
CS> goal is to run a Amiga VM in Ubuntu and set up Amiga Express and setup a
CS> true Amiga BBS. Since I have Corona I'll have time to do it now....
CS> --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
CS> * Origin: The New Frontier ][ BBS [frontierbbs.net:23] - OH (1:226/17)

Sorry to hear you have Corona and I pray for a speedy recovery. I am
not sure how well AmigaForever will work, but I have seen quite a few C-Net
boards on WinUAE and now one on MorphOS. So see what you can do and keep us
informed.

-Spitfire Inc presents 4 Unique Systems...

Reign of Fire rof.cnetbbs.net:2300 C-Net Amiga Pro BETA System.
Reign of Fire II rof.cnet64.com:6400 C-Net DS-2 BETA System.
Reign of Fire III rof.cnetbbs.net:6800 C-Net Amiga v3.05g
Reign of Fire Vice rof.cnet64.com:6502 C-Net DS-2 on Windows!
* C-Net/5
* Origin: rof.cnetbbs.net:2300 * rof.cnet64.com:6400 (1:154/50)

From: Phillip Taylor (1:275/201.30)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 20.04.20 20:41
Re: Workbench 1.3
On Mon 20-Apr-2020 20:18 , Charles Stephenson@1:226/17.0 said to Al Derosa:
CS> @NOTE: SlyEdit 1.73 (2020-03-31) (ICE style)
CS> Re: Re: Workbench 1.3
CS> By: Al DeRosa to Charles Stephenson on Mon Dec 02 2019 07:37 pm

CS> CS>> I had the wrong version of Amiga Forever, I just upgraded it so I
CS> CS>> can now use WB 3.x.. gonna have some fun! Smile

Have you tried WinUae? Its freeware.
--- CNet/5
* Origin: 1:275/201.0 (1:275/201.30)

From: Al DeRosa (1:267/157)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 21.04.20 16:52
Re: Workbench 1.3

CS> Hello Al!
CS>
CS> This is a VERY old email, and since I JUST got fido working again on
CS> this BBS it's new to me! Smile
CS>
CS> I've bought Amiga Forever I've been playing with it. I REALLY like it.
CS> My goal is to run a Amiga VM in Ubuntu and set up Amiga Express and
CS> setup a true Amiga BBS. Since I have Corona I'll have time to do it
CS> now.... --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux

Cool.. You will like it especially since you have all the ROMS and install
disks needed to get going.. Be careful with VM's running the emulators they
will slow you down. Basically, you are running a emulator inside an emulator.
I found I just run WinUAE on a seperate PC which I consider my Amiga PC...

Be careful with the Corona! I am just getting over it, I was fine for 11 days
then all hell broke loose!! I ended up in the hospital because I was so badly
dehydrated, because I couldn't keep anything down, not even water!! When I
got to the hospital they tried to get blood and the poor nurse was literally
punching my arm with all her might to get a vein but they were all
collapsing! So my advice? Don't screw around with it, stay hydrated even if
you can't keep anything down do your best to, and if you feel even a little
dehydrated get your doctor on the phone and see what they want to do!~! This
thing almost killed me!!

Al

* Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (1:267/157)

From: Frank Linhares (1:229/101)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 21.04.20 18:03
Re: Workbench 1.3
AD> Cool.. You will like it especially since you have all the ROMS and
AD> install disks needed to get going.. Be careful with VM's running the
AD> emulators they will slow you down. Basically, you are running a emulator
AD> inside an emulator. I found I just run WinUAE on a seperate PC which I
AD> consider my Amiga PC...

Emulating an emulator is like googling google. The world will come to an end
;)

|15frank |08// |15netsurge
|07disksh0p|08!|07bbs |08% |07bbs.diskshop.ca |08% |07mystic goodness
|11SciNet |03ftn hq |08% |07https://scinet-ftn.org

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/04/13 (Linux/64)
* Origin: % disksh0p!bbs % bbs.diskshop.ca % SciNet ftn hq % (1:229/101)

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 21.04.20 22:37
Re: Workbench 1.3
Re: Re: Workbench 1.3
By: Gary McCulloch to Charles Stephenson on Mon Apr 20 2020 08:37 pm

GM> Sorry to hear you have Corona and I pray for a speedy recovery. I am
GM> not sure how well AmigaForever will work, but I have seen quite a few
GM> C-Net boards on WinUAE and now one on MorphOS. So see what you can do and
GM> keep us informed.

Thank you, I really appriciate it.

C-Net looks to work pretty rock solid from what I've seen from calling. I've
only seen a handful of AmigaExpress BBSes running. If I can't get it figured
out, I'll prolly end up going to C-Net too

From: Charles Stephenson (1:226/17)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 21.04.20 22:42
Re: Workbench 1.3
Re: Re: Workbench 1.3
By: Al DeRosa to Charles Stephenson on Tue Apr 21 2020 02:52 pm

AD> Cool.. You will like it especially since you have all the ROMS and install
AD> disks needed to get going.. Be careful with VM's running the emulators
AD> they will slow you down. Basically, you are running a emulator inside an
AD> emulator. I found I just run WinUAE on a seperate PC which I consider my
AD> Amiga PC...

That was/is my long-term plan too. Can't do that til I move again though. I do
have a spare desktop I was planning on installing ARCOS on. I've read/seen some
good things about it. but I'm running Linux and I know it won't lag as bad as
in Windows. I've had almost zero lag when running any VM's in linux/Ubuntu

From: Al DeRosa (1:267/157)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 22.04.20 15:27
Re: Workbench 1.3
On 21 Apr 2020, Charles Stephenson said the following...

CS> That was/is my long-term plan too. Can't do that til I move again
CS> though. I do have a spare desktop I was planning on installing ARCOS on.
CS> I've read/seen some good things about it. but I'm running Linux and I
CS> know it won't lag as bad as in Windows. I've had almost zero lag when
CS> running any VM's in linux/Ubuntu --- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
CS> * Origin: The New Frontier ][ BBS [frontierbbs.net:23] - OH (1:226/17)

I am running 3 VM's inside windows and have no lag on them.. It's when you
toss WinUAE inside a VM that you start to see lag.. My original plan with my
boards was to have a VM for each one running off my Server, when I saw how
slow my CNet Amiga was inside the VM I knew it wasn't a good idea..
Hopefully, you won't experience a lag with Linux. I am moving my Server to a
Linux based setup soon, I am hoping to get rid of all of the extra machines I
have for each platform and just run VM's on it.. We'll see how it goes...

* Origin: The Wrong Number Family Of BBS' - Wrong Number ][ (1:267/157)

From: Don Lowery (1:340/1000)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 22.04.20 15:54
Re: Workbench 1.3
FL> Emulating an emulator is like googling google. The world will come to an
FL> end ;)

We never thought you would believe us...especially since I'm from Iran with
the best reception for the Internet is on top of Big Ben...according to the
Elders of the Internet. When it does come to an end...just call: 0118 999 881
999 119 725......3.

ACME BBS-Member of fsxNet/WWIVNet/SciNet/AmigaNet/VKRadio/FidoNet/MicroNet.

* Origin: ACME BBS-W.Coyote & D.Brown are our best users. (1:340/1000)