Fidonet Portal

From: nelsonse48@gmail.com (3:770/3)
To: All
Date: Mon, 26.07.21 15:43
Samba (smb/cifs)
My rpi2 running buster needs to provide guest access as a smb1 server. How do
I know what samba version I am running? How do I force smb1, not 2 or 3?
--Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
* Origin: Agency HUB, Dunedin - New Zealand | Fido<>Usenet Gateway (3:770/3)

From: Martin Gregorie (3:770/3)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.07.21 01:36
Re: Samba (smb/cifs)
On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 13:43:21 -0700, nelso...@gmail.com wrote:

> My rpi2 running buster needs to provide guest access as a smb1 server.
> How do I know what samba version I am running?

"man samba" and scroll down to VERSION

> How do I force smb1, not 2 or 3?

Didn't look at the samba manpage did you?
That says its on version 4.14.6

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

From: nelsonse48@gmail.com (3:770/3)
To: All
Date: Mon, 26.07.21 20:36
Re: Samba (smb/cifs)
On Monday, July 26, 2021 at 6:36:06 PM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 13:43:21 -0700, nelso...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > My rpi2 running buster needs to provide guest access as a smb1 server.
> > How do I know what samba version I am running?
> >
> "man samba" and scroll down to VERSION
> > How do I force smb1, not 2 or 3?
> >
> Didn't look at the samba manpage did you?
> That says its on version 4.14.6
>

> --
> Martin | martin at
> Gregorie | gregorie dot org
I mis-stated my question. I know what version I'm running. I need to know
what protocol # I am running. I need protocol = 1 I think. Suggestions have
been min protocol=NT1 and min protocol=SMB1. I haven't found this info in the
man page but I'll
look again. Thnx.

From: NY (3:770/3)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.07.21 13:55
Re: Samba (smb/cifs)
"nelso...@gmail.com" <nelsonse48@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Monday, July 26, 2021 at 6:36:06 PM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 13:43:21 -0700, nelso...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > My rpi2 running buster needs to provide guest access as a smb1 server.
>> > How do I know what samba version I am running?
>> >
>> "man samba" and scroll down to VERSION
>> > How do I force smb1, not 2 or 3?
>> >
>> Didn't look at the samba manpage did you?
>> That says its on version 4.14.6
>>

>> --
>> Martin | martin at
>> Gregorie | gregorie dot org
> I mis-stated my question. I know what version I'm running. I need to
> know what protocol # I am running. I need protocol = 1 I think.
> Suggestions have been min protocol=NT1 and min protocol=SMB1. I haven't
> found this info in the man page but I'll look again. Thnx.

When the client (some other device) wants to communicate with a Samba share
on the "server" (the Pi, in this case) to access files on the server, the
two ends list all the protocols of SMB that they understand.

So before you make the config change, the client says "I speak SMB1" and the
Pi responds "I speak SMB2 or SMB3" - result: fails to connect

After the change, client says "I speak SMB1" and Pi responds "I speak SMB1,
SMB2 or SMB3" - result: "let's speak SMB1": success

I think the two ends negotiate using the *highest* version of SMB protocol
that both understand.

All this is independent of the version number of the Samba package on the
server.

(As an aside, Windows 10 does not speak SMB1 by default. either, and needs a
similar change (I forget the details) to allow it to happen, so
SMB1-speaking devices can access Win 10 shares or Win 10 can access SMB1
shares on another device.Wink

From: Martin Gregorie (3:770/3)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.07.21 13:28
Re: Samba (smb/cifs)
On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 18:36:02 -0700, nelso...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, July 26, 2021 at 6:36:06 PM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 13:43:21 -0700, nelso...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > My rpi2 running buster needs to provide guest access as a smb1
>> > server.
>> > How do I know what samba version I am running?
>> >
>> "man samba" and scroll down to VERSION
>> > How do I force smb1, not 2 or 3?
>> >
>> Didn't look at the samba manpage did you?
>> That says its on version 4.14.6
>>

>> --
>> Martin | martin at Gregorie | gregorie dot org
> I mis-stated my question. I know what version I'm running. I need to
> know what protocol # I am running. I need protocol = 1 I think.
> Suggestions have been min protocol=NT1 and min protocol=SMB1. I haven't
> found this info in the man page but I'll look again. Thnx.
> --Steve

No problem. The protocol is set in the configuration file:
"man 5 smb.conf". "man samba" shows a list of all the Samba configuration
files.

When I was last using Samba back in the noughties (I haven't had a
Windows PC since 2006) I also found the O'Reilly book "Using Samba"
helpful. There are probably some useful websites as well, so DDGIYF
(DuckDuckGo is your friend).

From: NY (3:770/3)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.07.21 16:48
Re: Samba (smb/cifs)
"Martin Gregorie" <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote in message
> When I was last using Samba back in the noughties (I haven't had a
> Windows PC since 2006) I also found the O'Reilly book "Using Samba"
> helpful. There are probably some useful websites as well, so DDGIYF
> (DuckDuckGo is your friend).

Here's another Samba question. Has anyone managed to make Raspbian or Ubuntu
act as a client to connect to a Windows 7 or 10 share?

No matter what I try, the connection gets refused authentication at the very
first hurdle (session setup, as seen in a Wireshark trace). The Windows PCs
in question have been set up with usernames which have no password defined;
the Win 10 PC uses a local account rather than a Microsoft one.

Other Windows PCs can connect fine, but non-Windows (Linux) computers get
rejected. It's not a file/folder permissions problem, because it is rejected
before this is even attempted.

It's not the end of the world if it doesn't work; it just means that I need
to initiate any transfer at the Windows computer copying to/from a share on
the Linux computer, and can't alternatively initiate the copy at Linux
accessing a share on the Windows computer.

From: Dennis Lee Bieber (3:770/3)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.07.21 14:45
Re: Samba (smb/cifs)
On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 15:02:29 +0100, "NY" <me@privacy.invalid> declaimed the
following:

>No matter what I try, the connection gets refused authentication at the very
>first hurdle (session setup, as seen in a Wireshark trace). The Windows PCs
>in question have been set up with usernames which have no password defined;
>the Win 10 PC uses a local account rather than a Microsoft one.

Have you tried configuring an account with password just for creating
the shares and then accessing remotely.

https://it.megocollector.com/tips-and-tricks/how-to-share-a-folder-without-passw
ord-in-windows-10-home-network/
{probably not applicable -- the only machines I ever ran with "home" were
some early laptops... Pro is the preferred level of OS}

https://www.windowsdigitals.com/share-folder-windows-10-local-network-without-pa
ssword/

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

From: Adrian Caspersz (3:770/3)
To: All
Date: Mon, 09.08.21 13:38
Re: Samba (smb/cifs)
On 27/07/2021 15:02, NY wrote:
> "Martin Gregorie" <martin@mydomain.invalid> wrote in message
>> When I was last using Samba back in the noughties (I haven't had a
>> Windows PC since 2006) I also found the O'Reilly book "Using Samba"
>> helpful. There are probably some useful websites as well, so DDGIYF
>> (DuckDuckGo is your friend).
>

> Here's another Samba question. Has anyone managed to make Raspbian or
> Ubuntu act as a client to connect to a Windows 7 or 10 share?

Yes. Do it all the time, don't even need to install software - windows
shares should be found accessible in the linux desktop file browser.

Try disabling the windows firewall?

There are a gazillion config settings in windows guaranteed to trip ye
up, from group policy's "Access this computer from the network user
right" to nanny Microsoft things put in the way that sensibly prevent
the use of blank network passwords.

The trick with Microsoft is trying to find a log somewhere that will
tell you why some action is being disallowed. Event viewer?.

--
Adrian C