Fidonet Portal

From: digital man (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Fri, 16.07.21 16:22
Infocom doors..
Re: Infocom doors..
By: Shane O'Neill to All on Fri Jul 16 2021 03:04 pm

> I have spent a little bit of time over the past week trying to get my
> Infocom games that are running on my Mystic board to work on Synchronet. I
> have go through all the instructions but no luck.
>
> When the caller enters a game it shows the console window of the game on the
> Syncronet BBS machine but the caller is just stuck at the froze games menu.
> I have to exit the console on the Synchronet BBS machine to give the caller
> control back.
>
> I am sure I am overlooking a simple setting but I am still wet behind the
> ears to Synchronet, so I am hoping someone can guide me here. ;)

Do you mean that the caller sees the output of the game, but cannot send
keyboard input into it?

What are the settings you're using SCFG for the game?
--
digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #49:
Synchronet program was named 'sbbs' instead of 'sync' to avoid conflict w/Unix.

--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)

From: Shane O'Neill (1:305/3)
To: All
Date: Fri, 16.07.21 18:28
Re: Infocom doors..
On 16 Jul 2021, Digital Man said the following...

DM> Do you mean that the caller sees the output of the game, but cannot send
DM> keyboard input into it?

The caller sees nothing, they are still seeing the games menu prompt where
they selected the game. Only on the BBS machine can you see the game open up.

DM> What are the settings you're using SCFG for the game?

I have tried all kinds of settings with the same result, currently:

* Origin: 8-Bit Boyz BBS! -=[ bbs.8bitboyz.com port:6502 ]=- (1:305/3)

From: Shane O'Neill (1:305/3)
To: All
Date: Fri, 16.07.21 23:17
Re: Infocom doors..
On 16 Jul 2021, MRO said the following...

MR> you can use doorway

Already do for a select few. ;) The infocom ones and many others I am
wanting to have them local on my BBS.

* Origin: 8-Bit Boyz BBS! -=[ bbs.8bitboyz.com port:6502 ]=- (1:305/3)

From: digital man (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Sat, 17.07.21 14:22
Re: Infocom doors..
Re: Re: Infocom doors..
By: Shane O'Neill to Digital Man on Fri Jul 16 2021 04:28 pm

> On 16 Jul 2021, Digital Man said the following...
>
> DM> Do you mean that the caller sees the output of the game, but cannot
> DM> send keyboard input into it?
>
> The caller sees nothing, they are still seeing the games menu prompt where
> they selected the game. Only on the BBS machine can you see the game open
> up.
>
> DM> What are the settings you're using SCFG for the game?
>
> I have tried all kinds of settings with the same result, currently:

It's possible that _zork1.com isn't writing to stdio (so therefore, it can't be
redirected). A good test would be to run another door that relies on standard
I/O redirection and see if it works. That'd at least eliminate SBBS or
DOSXTRN.EXE as part of the problem.

Another option would be to run Zork using cioxtrn, it's like doorway.exe but
modern:
http://wiki.synchro.net/howto:cioxtrn
--
digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #19:
The first Synchronet BBS (Vertrauen) went live in July of 1991 (replacing
WWIV).

From: MRO (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Sat, 17.07.21 18:38
Re: Infocom doors..
Re: Re: Infocom doors..
By: Shane O'Neill to MRO on Fri Jul 16 2021 09:17 pm

> On 16 Jul 2021, MRO said the following...
>
> MR> you can use doorway
>
> Already do for a select few. ;) The infocom ones and many others I am
> wanting to have them local on my BBS.

what do you mean local.

i mean use doorway to allow the output to show to the bbs user.
---

* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)

From: MRO (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Sat, 17.07.21 18:39
Re: Infocom doors..
Re: Re: Infocom doors..
By: Digital Man to Shane O'Neill on Sat Jul 17 2021 12:22 pm

> It's possible that _zork1.com isn't writing to stdio (so therefore, it can't
> be redirected). A good test would be to run another door that relies on
> standard I/O redirection and see if it works. That'd at least eliminate SBBS
> or DOSXTRN.EXE as part of the problem.
>
> Another option would be to run Zork using cioxtrn, it's like doorway.exe but

i have all those setup with doorway. they dont write to stdio
---

* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)

From: Shane O'Neill (1:305/3)
To: All
Date: Sun, 18.07.21 10:37
Re: Infocom doors..
On 17 Jul 2021, MRO said the following...

MR> what do you mean local.

Okay I had a total blonde moment when I read and replied to you. Between
internet issues and a few other personal things when you said Doorway I had
it in my head as a Door Server. Duh!!! ;)

Yeah I did wonder if Doorway was a solution but did not go that far, I will
take your advice and give it a try. God knows I have tested many versions
of NetFoss with Mike to help him resolve issues with many of the Infocom games
output, I should of just tried Doorway already. LOL

Thanks for input MRO, will report back!
* Origin: 8-Bit Boyz BBS! -=[ bbs.8bitboyz.com port:6502 ]=- (1:305/3)

From: Marisag (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Mon, 19.07.21 06:41
Re: Infocom doors..
Re: Re: Infocom doors..
By: Digital Man to Shane O'Neill on Sat Jul 17 2021 12:22 pm

My frotz doors work fine if the bbs is on linux...

Marisa

---

* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)

From: Havok (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Wed, 21.07.21 11:45
Re: Infocom doors..
Re: Re: Infocom doors..
By: Marisag to Digital Man on Mon Jul 19 2021 04:41 am

Hello Marisag

I wish all your doors for linux had better doc's for us that are not a pro
as your self.

Also hat's off on BBS management & utils would like to see one day adding
umonitor & gtkmonitor add to the menu.

:|04Hav|12o|04k|07:

Telnet:|04a|12na|12rchyb|04bs.com:2332
---

... Advertising is legalized lying.
---

* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)

From: Marisag (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Fri, 23.07.21 01:51
Re: Infocom doors..
Re: Re: Infocom doors..
By: Havok to Marisag on Wed Jul 21 2021 09:45 am

> I wish all your doors for linux had better doc's for us that are not a pro
> as your self.
Can you give me a example of oa few that need better docs?

> also hat's off on BBS management & utils would like to see one day adding
> umonitor & gtkmonitor add to the menu.

Thanks! I will have to look into those utils. We'll see what I can do...

Marisa

---

* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)

From: Havok (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.07.21 09:30
Re: Infocom doors..
Re: Re: Infocom doors..
By: Marisag to Havok on Thu Jul 22 2021 11:51 pm

Ma> Thanks! I will have to look into those utils. We'll see what I can do...

Well thanks young lady!

:|04Hav|12o|04k|07:

Telnet:|04a|12na|12rchyb|04bs.com:2332
---

... RAM = Rarely Adequate Memory
---

* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)

From: tracker1 (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Sun, 05.09.21 12:45
Re: Infocom doors..
On 7/16/2021 3:28 PM, Shane O'Neill wrote:
> I have tried all kinds of settings with the same result, currently:
>
> �Name Zork I
> �Internal Code ZORKI

I know this is kind of old... IIRC, you can load/save games in Zork...
you may want to copy the executable into a per user directory, so that
each user can load/save their own game state.

Assuming you otherwise have this working... it'll add a bit of disk
usage, but likely not too big of a problem... and/or change to a running
directory per-user, but this may not work as intended. Should test it.
--
Michael J. Ryan - tracker1@roughneckbbs.com
---