Fidonet Portal

From: DaveW (1:135/371)
To: All
Date: Thu, 15.07.21 01:56
Trek
Hello,
Everyone brought up some great points. First, I do hate cliff hangers at
the end of a season. That goes for any show, not just Star Trek. I hate waiting
months or even up to a year to know what happened. It just happened tonight
with the Loki show on Disney+. It annoys me.
Someone brought up Wesley and hinting that he was annoying. He was an OK
character at best. One thing that i thought was just dumb was kids and families
living on the Enterprise in TNG. I know what was a popular thing in the first 2
seasons (i think) but it is a dumb decision. How often are Starfleet ships
going into danger. To me, it is like families living on battleships during
World War 2!!! hahahahaha
It is great to know that there are others with the love of Trek like me. I
saw that someone was from Germany. Where is everyone from? I live in Southwest
Florida near Sarasota but originally from Philadelphia.
I heard rumors that Star Trek Discovery may be cancelled after this season.
I do hope not. I think they are in a position to move Star Trek to new areas!!.
I also heard about another JJ movie. Not sure how i feel about that though. I
like them but i share the same opinion as everyone that it just does not feel
like Trek to me.
I have been on vacation over the last week so that is why i have not posted
in a while. Smile

LATER TREKKIES!!!!

DaveW
Port of Call BBS
POCBBS.DuckDNS.org
SynchroNet - Port 2323
Renegade - Port 23
C64 Image 3.0 - Port 6400
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
* Origin: Port of Call Synchro - POCBBS.duckdns.org (1:135/371)

From: Kurt Weiske (1:218/700)
To: All
Date: Thu, 15.07.21 09:24
Re: Trek
-=> DaveW wrote to All <=-

Da> Someone brought up Wesley and hinting that he was annoying. He was
Da> an OK character at best. One thing that i thought was just dumb was
Da> kids and families living on the Enterprise in TNG. I know what was a
Da> popular thing in the first 2 seasons (i think) but it is a dumb
Da> decision. How often are Starfleet ships going into danger. To me, it is
Da> like families living on battleships during World War 2!!!

The idea was that the Enterprise was the flagship and more of an explorer
than a warship. Very Roddenberry-esque.

They also dropped men wearing skants by season 2, as well. Smile

In "Prelude to Axanar", Captain Garth mentions something about "We didn't
sign up to be warriors. We proved that we could do what we needed to do to
defend the Federation".

I think that sentiment describes Roddenberry-era Trek well.

... The Colonies of Man lie trampled at our feet.
--- MultiMail/DOS v0.52
* Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org | tomorrow's retro tech (1:218/700)

From: Aaron Grasswell (1:229/428)
To: All
Date: Thu, 15.07.21 15:23
Re: Trek
Peterborough Ontario, Canada here eh! Smile

Born in '77, I don't have a nostolgic connection with 1st run TOS, although I
do enjoy it and I did work for Captain Kirk at C.O.R.E. Digital Pictures years
ago in Toronto before switching and becomming a professional Firefighter. Smile

I do have fond memories of 1st run TNG growing up, including the famous "To be
continued..." Best of Both Worlds cliffhanger. lol

I was a big Reading Rainbow fan prior to TNG, so seeing LeVar Burton was
amazing at the time.

Growing up with with TNG (and later X-Files) we would have 'parties' where we
would wath the latest episodes and hang out (yes, girls were in our group of
friends Wink. lol
It's a great memory, wouldn't change a thing about those early 90s days.

P.S. I'm a nostalgia nerd in case there was any doubt... Very Happy

DS9 is another series I loved, but for different reasons than TNG.
TNG was optomistic, fun, sometimes serious topics but generally just good ol'
fun space exploration drama.
DS9 was the oposite.
Dark (not just the plots, but also the cinematography), moody, grey areas,
mixed morals, and... real, for lack of a better term.

It explored the realistic side of humantiy, despiration, depression, PTSD,
etc..
Brilliant writing (ok, 'move along home' may be an exception... lol).

From a professional Firefighters perspective, Nog's struggles with PTSD were so
amazingly personal and realistic.

As fo fav. DS9 episodes... hard to choose.
Anything with Garak is a given.
'In the Pale Moonlight' is probably #1.

Does anyone fellow Canuk remember the SkyDome showing of the last episode of
TNG in 1994? All Good Things 1/2?
We were desperate to attend, but we were all just starting to reach the age to
get a 365 drivers license, not really downtown Toronto driving experience. lol

Take care
Aaron/DW
Dark Systems BBS
bbs.dsbbs.ca:23

  > Hello,
> Everyone brought up some great points. First, I do hate cliff hangers
> at the end of a season. That goes for any show, not just Star Trek. I
> hate waiting months or even up to a year to know what happened. It just
> happened tonight with the Loki show on Disney+. It annoys me.
> Someone brought up Wesley and hinting that he was annoying. He was an
> OK character at best. One thing that i thought was just dumb was kids and
> families living on the Enterprise in TNG. I know what was a popular thing
> in the first 2 seasons (i think) but it is a dumb decision. How often are
> Starfleet ships going into danger. To me, it is like families living on
> battleships during World War 2!!! hahahahaha
> It is great to know that there are others with the love of Trek like
> me. I saw that someone was from Germany. Where is everyone from? I live
> in Southwest Florida near Sarasota but originally from Philadelphia.
> I heard rumors that Star Trek Discovery may be cancelled after this
> season. I do hope not. I think they are in a position to move Star Trek
> to new areas!!. I also heard about another JJ movie. Not sure how i feel
> about that though. I like them but i share the same opinion as everyone
> that it just does not feel like Trek to me.
> I have been on vacation over the last week so that is why i have not
> posted in a while. Smile

> LATER TREKKIES!!!!

> DaveW
> Port of Call BBS
> POCBBS.DuckDNS.org
> SynchroNet - Port 2323
> Renegade - Port 23
> C64 Image 3.0 - Port 6400
> --- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
> * Origin: Port of Call Synchro - POCBBS.duckdns.org (1:135/371)
--- D'Bridge 4
* Origin: Dark Systems BBS (1:229/428)

From: Chris Krascek (2:250/5)
To: All
Date: Mon, 19.07.21 04:42
Re: Trek
AG> I do have fond memories of 1st run TNG growing up, including the famous
AG> "To becontinued..." Best of Both Worlds cliffhanger. lol

OMG yes.. and the wait... I grew up watching TOS in syndication 80s..but never
appreciated it until TNGs run. Thats when you want all things TREK.
AG> I was a big Reading Rainbow fan prior to TNG, so seeing LeVar Burton was
AG> amazing at the time.

yep yep
AG> DS9 is another series I loved, but for different reasons than TNG.

It was different. I know at that time a lot of fans were mixed. We were excited
for another series.
AG> Does anyone fellow Canuk remember the SkyDome showing of the last
AG> episode ofTNG in 1994? All Good Things 1/2?

Oh, I remember hearing about this. Never made it out there. Would have been
amazing though. Hey you ever been to Toronto Trek conventions? I ended up going
to couple and one out there by Creation.
--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/12/04 (Linux/64)
* Origin: thE qUAntUm wOrmhOlE, rAmsgAtE, uK. bbs.erb.pw (2:250/5)

From: Daniel Traechin (1:249/317)
To: All
Date: Mon, 02.08.21 20:37
Re: Trek
Da> Everyone brought up some great points. First, I do hate cliff
Da> hangers at the end of a season. That goes for any show, not just Star
Da> Trek. I hate waiting months or even up to a year to know what happened.
Da> It just happened tonight with the Loki show on Disney+. It annoys me.

Cliffhangers suck. This is why I don't watch many shows these days. If you
watched Breaking Bad, like I did, they'd always have a hanging chad at the end
of each episode. Mini-cliffhangers and three to four subplots left unresolved
for a few episodes. Never were episodes ended cleanly. Drove me nuts. I just
wanted, one time, to see a clean ending.

Even the finale ended with a cliffhanger. Yeah Walt was dead but, what about
Jesse? Years had to pass before they decided to give him a movie to resolve
that bit. Anyhoo, that's my mini-rant.

Da> Someone brought up Wesley and hinting that he was annoying. He was
Da> an OK character at best. One thing that i thought was just dumb was kids
Da> and families living on the Enterprise in TNG. I know what was a popular
Da> thing in the first 2 seasons (i think) but it is a dumb decision. How
Da> often are Starfleet ships going into danger. To me, it is like families
Da> living on battleships during World War 2!!! hahahahaha

Wesley was annoying to me because the guy couldn't act and I hated his
overalls. My high school girlfriend thought I resembled him so she had
posters of him on her bedroom wall. Eyeroll haven.

The family concept, on the enterprise, didn't sound like a bad idea for me at
the time. But, now that I'm in my late forties, it does now. It seemed, at
least in TNG, the galaxy class was the only type to have families onboard.

Da> It is great to know that there are others with the love of Trek like
Da> me. I saw that someone was from Germany. Where is everyone from? I live
Da> in Southwest Florida near Sarasota but originally from Philadelphia.

I'm in California - Sacramento region.

Da> I heard rumors that Star Trek Discovery may be cancelled after this
Da> season. I do hope not. I think they are in a position to move Star Trek
Da> to new areas!!. I also heard about another JJ movie. Not sure how i feel
Da> about that though. I like them but i share the same opinion as everyone
Da> that it just does not feel like Trek to me.

Discovery is a really, really lame show - lamer than Picard, but that's my
opinion. Anything conceived today seems to be really really bad. There are
moments that are star trek-like but, overall, you get my drift. I am enjoying
one of the canon novels though.

Da> I have been on vacation over the last week so that is why i have not
Da> posted in a while. Smile

Where did you go?

Da> LATER TREKKIES!!!!
--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
* Origin: The Bottomless Abyss BBS * bbs.bottomlessabyss.net (1:249/317)