Fidonet Portal

From: Matt Munson (1:218/109)
To: All
Date: Sat, 03.07.21 13:42
Re: Taglines???
BY: paul lee(1:105/420)

pl> Does anyone know of a source(s) of text taglines for use with mail
pl> software? Mystic just added support for taglines, and I'm looking for a
pl> large collection of good ones.
I have a collection of taglines i'll send it via discord if i can.

--- WWIV 5.7.2.3536
* Origin: Inland Utopia BBS * iutopia.duckdns.org:2023 (1:218/109)

From: Shawn Rapp (1:114/710)
To: All
Date: Sat, 03.07.21 17:41
Re: Taglines???
SD> NA> Would vote on it being optional, like the Cowbell feature.
SD> One can always use more cowbell.
SD> Christopher Walken told me so.

I have a fever and there is only one cure... more cowbell!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
* Origin: Darkest Hour BBS (dhbbs.org) (1:114/710)

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: All
Date: Sun, 04.07.21 02:54
Re: Taglines???
-=> James Coyle wrote to Sean Dennis <=-

JC> You're right its absolutely more common to have no space between the
JC> tag and tear. I just think a lot of clutter in that area can end
JC> up looking pretty sloppy at times too. I've removed the
JC> space for now and I'll see maybe it will grow on me!

It's like people using proprietary color codes in their message
signatures. It's annoying to try to read the text that's buried in
between the codes if you're not running the same BBS software they are.

JC> Thanks!

Time is a commodity not many have though with my becoming disabled, I
now have lots of time to work on my BBS and Cheepware.

JC> ... Real Programmers balance their checkbooks in hex

Real programmers use EDLIN.

-- Sean

___ MultiMail/Win v0.52
--- Maximus/2 3.01
* Origin: Outpost BBS * bbs.outpostbbs.net:10123 (1:18/200)

From: paul lee (1:105/420)
To: All
Date: Sun, 04.07.21 02:12
Re: Taglines???
MM> pl> Does anyone know of a source(s) of text taglines for use with mail
MM> pl> software? Mystic just added support for taglines, and I'm looking for
MM> pl> large collection of good ones.
MM> I have a collection of taglines i'll send it via discord if i can.

Thanks; I think you did - but I had already released my set. I am now gonna
look at what you sent and add it. Thank you so kindly, U.

... DR DOS, where MS DOS goes to find what she is lacking

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
|08.........
--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/06/21 (Raspberry Pi/32)
* Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (1:105/420)

From: Anna Christina Nass (2:240/5824.1)
To: All
Date: Sun, 04.07.21 13:34
Re: Taglines???
Am 03.07.21 schrieb Sean Dennis@1:18/200 in BBS_CARNIVAL:

Hallo Sean,

ACN>> It's not really an issue, but it might make one think that the
ACN>> contents of the tagline is something that the author of the message
ACN>> says.

SD> If one has been involved in BBSing for any length of time, one knows that
SD> a tagline may not be something the author of the message wrote themselves
SD> (though often it is) but it's an idea that they agree with else they
SD> wouldn't have posted it. To me, a tagline is more of an aside to the
SD> message.

That's right. But if the tagline is posted between the last paragraph and
the signature, it might be a little misleading - but it depends on the
specific tagline.

Anna
--- OpenXP 5.0.50
* Origin: Imzadi Box Point (2:240/5824.1)

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Sun, 04.07.21 09:40
Re: Taglines???
-=> Sean Dennis wrote to James Coyle <=-

JC> ... Real Programmers balance their checkbooks in hex

SD> Real programmers use EDLIN.

Real programmers use "copy con myfile.src"

;-)

... Everybody should believe in something: I believe I'll have another drink.
=== MultiMail/Linux v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
* Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (1:123/115)

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: All
Date: Sun, 04.07.21 14:00
Re: Taglines???
-=> Andrew Leary wrote to Sean Dennis <=-

AL> Real programmers use vi.

Shame on you! *thwaps with a rolled-up newspaper*

I tried vim once. Even figured out how to quit the program without
killing the process. <G>

Now if you want to start a real fight, get the old "vi (vim) versus
emacs" fight going. That's as time-honored as "Star Trek versus Star
Wars".

I am using FTE to compose this message. It works well for what I need.

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: All
Date: Sun, 04.07.21 14:04
Re: Taglines???
-=> Dan Clough wrote to Sean Dennis <=-

DC> Real programmers use "copy con myfile.src"

I've seen that also. I actually knew someone back in the early 80s,
when the IBM PC first came out, who did just that.

I think I have about five or six console editors installed on my
Windows box but about 20 installed on my Linux box and probably that
many installed on my ArcaOS box. Though my favorite editor in OS/2 is
TEDIT.EXE and my favorite Linux editor is joe. I do have nano and FTE
installed on all three boxes though.

Why?

Because I can.

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Mon, 05.07.21 15:16
Re: Taglines???
Sean,

AL> Real programmers use vi.

SD> Shame on you! *thwaps with a rolled-up newspaper*

The iron fist lives...and that's going to leave a mark. <G>

Daryl

... Deja Tue: When you have a feeling yesterday was Monday.
=== MultiMail/Win v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
* Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas (1:19/33)

From: Marc Lewis (1:396/45)
To: All
Date: Mon, 05.07.21 23:58
RE: Taglines???
Hello Sean.

<On 04Jul2021 12:04 Sean Dennis (1:18/200) wrote a message to Dan Clough
regarding Re: Taglines??? >

SD> I've seen that also. I actually knew someone back in the early
SD> 80s, when the IBM PC first came out, who did just that.

SD> I think I have about five or six console editors installed on my
SD> Windows box but about 20 installed on my Linux box and probably
SD> that many installed on my ArcaOS box. Though my favorite editor in
SD> OS/2 is TEDIT.EXE and my favorite Linux editor is joe. I do have
SD> nano and FTE installed on all three boxes though.

Have you ever used Boxer? (Available on various platforms including OS/2. Quite
powerful. TEdit is quite good too!

SD> Why?

SD> Because I can.

Best reason. <grin>

Best regards,
Marc

--- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
* Origin: Sursum Corda! BBS-Huntsville,AL-bbs.sursum-corda.com (1:396/45)

From: JIMMY ANDERSON (1:116/18)
To: All
Date: Fri, 20.08.21 10:22
Re: Taglines???
-=> Shawn Rapp wrote to Sean Dennis <=-

SD> NA> Would vote on it being optional, like the Cowbell feature.
SD> One can always use more cowbell.
SD> Christopher Walken told me so.

SR> I have a fever and there is only one cure... more cowbell!

Did everyone else 'hear' Walken in your head when you read this? Smile

... A Freudian slip - when you say one thing but mean your mother.
--- MultiMail/Mac v0.52
* Origin: Omicron Theta * Southaven MS * winserver.org (1:116/18)

From: Ray Sbaitso (1:19/38)
To: All
Date: Sat, 21.08.21 20:10
Re: Taglines???
To this day I cannot hear the word "propane" without it being in Hank Hill's
voice.

On Friday August 20, 2021, Richard Miles said to Jimmy Anderson...

RM> On 20 Aug 2021, Jimmy Anderson said the following...
RM>
JA>> Did everyone else 'hear' Walken in your head when you read this? Smile

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
* Origin: CIA AMIGA BBS - ciaamigabbs.dynu.net:6400 (1:19/38.0)

From: Jay Harris (1:229/664)
To: All
Date: Sun, 22.08.21 17:39
Re: Taglines???
On 21 Aug 2021, Ray Sbaitso said the following...

RS> To this day I cannot hear the word "propane" without it being in Hank
RS> Hill's voice.

"Dammit Bobby!"

... Why would anyone smoke weed when they could just mow a lawn?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/08/19 (Raspberry Pi/32)
* Origin: Northern Realms (1:229/664)

From: JIMMY ANDERSON (1:116/18)
To: All
Date: Mon, 23.08.21 16:30
Re: Taglines???
-=> Ray Sbaitso wrote to Richard Miles <=-

RS> To this day I cannot hear the word "propane" without it being in Hank
RS> Hill's voice.

And it's always followed by "propane accessories."

RS> On Friday August 20, 2021, Richard Miles said to Jimmy Anderson...

RM> On 20 Aug 2021, Jimmy Anderson said the following...
RM>
JA>> Did everyone else 'hear' Walken in your head when you read this? Smile

RS> --- Zeus BBS 1.5
RS> * Origin: CIA AMIGA BBS - ciaamigabbs.dynu.net:6400 (1:19/38.0)

... Southern DOS> Ya'll reckon? (Y)ep/(n)ope

From: Dumas Walker (1:2320/105)
To: All
Date: Mon, 23.08.21 18:52
Re: Taglines???
>To this day I cannot hear the word "propane" without it being in Hank Hill's
vo
>ce.

Or without it being followed by "and propane accessories." Very Happy

* SLMR 2.1a * Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
* Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)

From: robert wolfe (1:116/18)
To: All
Date: Thu, 26.08.21 11:38
Re: Taglines???
-> Taglines have always been an option, not a requirement. I like taglines but

-> know many that do not.

Which is why when I modded the EDITOR.WCC file in WINS on my system, I
made it so that the WCX always asks if you want to use a tagline. Might
update it again to have that setting recorded in the user's database
record.

... That's no Tagline! It's Odo!
--- Wildcat! v8.0.454.12 (May 9 2021), Editor Mod v2.1
* Origin: Omicron Theta * Southaven MS * winserver.org (1:116/18)