Fidonet Portal

From: paul lee (1:105/420)
To: All
Date: Wed, 30.06.21 16:21
Taglines???
Does anyone know of a source(s) of text taglines for use with mail software?
Mystic just added support for taglines, and I'm looking for a large collection
of good ones.

... Documentation: The worst part of programming.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
|08.........
--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/06/21 (Raspberry Pi/32)
* Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (1:105/420)

From: Anna Christina Nass (2:240/5824.1)
To: All
Date: Thu, 01.07.21 10:42
Re: Taglines???
Am 30.06.21 schrieb paul lee@1:105/420 in BBS_CARNIVAL:

Hallo paul,

pl> Does anyone know of a source(s) of text taglines for use with mail
pl> software? Mystic just added support for taglines, and I'm looking for a
pl> large collection of good ones.

There is an echo called "TAGLINES" where some taglines are posted
regularly. Just rescan that echo and you should get some Smile

Regards,
Anna
--- OpenXP 5.0.50
* Origin: Imzadi Box Point (2:240/5824.1)

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Thu, 01.07.21 09:31
Re: Taglines???
-=> paul lee wrote to All <=-

pl> Does anyone know of a source(s) of text taglines for use with
pl> mail software? Mystic just added support for taglines, and I'm
pl> looking for a large collection of good ones.

This should get you started:

http://www.taglinesgalore.com/tags/alphalist.html

... What was the best thing BEFORE sliced bread?
=== MultiMail/Linux v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
* Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (1:123/115)

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Thu, 01.07.21 13:41
Re: Taglines???
Dan,

DC> This should get you started:

DC> http://www.taglinesgalore.com/tags/alphalist.html

Too bad there wasn't a zip file one could just download. While
there are a ton of taglines there, you'd have to go through and
weed out the duplicates. But, then the question is if there's a
maximum number of taglines that your QWK Mail Reader (OLX, SLMR,
MultiMail, BlueWave, etc.Wink can support.

Daryl

... Tagline Lotto: Scratch Off For Your Prize: *****************************
=== MultiMail/Win v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
* Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - Little Rock, Arkansas (1:19/33)

From: paul lee (1:105/420)
To: All
Date: Thu, 01.07.21 20:41
Re: Taglines???
AC> There is an echo called "TAGLINES" where some taglines are posted
AC> regularly. Just rescan that echo and you should get some Smile
AC>
AC> Regards,
AC> Anna

Thanks, gangstar!

... If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

From: paul lee (1:105/420)
To: All
Date: Thu, 01.07.21 20:42
Re: Taglines???
DS> Too bad there wasn't a zip file one could just download. While
DS> there are a ton of taglines there, you'd have to go through and
DS> weed out the duplicates. But, then the question is if there's a
DS> maximum number of taglines that your QWK Mail Reader (OLX, SLMR,
DS> MultiMail, BlueWave, etc.Wink can support.
DS>
DS> Daryl

No joke - its 2o21 and all... Razz

I'm just working with the new Mystic taglines engine... code... whatever. Razz
I'll add a few in there, should be just fine.

... (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer.

From: Anna Christina Nass (2:240/5824.1)
To: All
Date: Fri, 02.07.21 14:15
Re: Taglines???
Am 01.07.21 schrieb paul lee@1:105/420 in BBS_CARNIVAL:

Hallo paul,

AC>> There is an echo called "TAGLINES" where some taglines are posted
AC>> regularly. Just rescan that echo and you should get some Smile

pl> Thanks, gangstar!

No problem Smile

I'm just a little irritated about the position of your taglines, as I
would've expected the tagline just above the tearline instead of above
your signature...

From: T.J. Mcmillen (1:129/305)
To: All
Date: Fri, 02.07.21 09:19
Re: Taglines???
PL> No joke - its 2o21 and all... Razz
PL>
PL> I'm just working with the new Mystic taglines engine... code... whatever.
PL> I'll add a few in there, should be just fine.

There is a whole 1 meg tagline file in the \RENEGADE\TEXT directory. I've
included it sicne we added taglines back in 2003. You are more than welcome
to grab it from a full install.

... Dead reckoning: The method of navigation by a driver.
--- Renegade v1.25/DOS
* Origin: The Titantic BBS Telnet - ttb.rgbbs.info (1:129/305)

From: James Coyle (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Fri, 02.07.21 14:07
Re: Taglines???
SD> AN> I'm just a little irritated about the position of your taglines, as I
SD> AN> would've expected the tagline just above the tearline instead of
SD> AN> above your signature...
SD>
SD> Considering there are no "standards" about taglines, or even that they
SD> should be used, that shouldn't be an issue.

Even if there were standards, taglines are not specific to FidoNet so saying
they must be coupled with a tearline wouldn't work.

I may change it to place itself directly above the tear line, but personally I
kind of like the blank space above it. Open to hearing more opinions though if
people have them.

... Light year: 1/3 less calories than your regular year

* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: paul lee (1:105/420)
To: All
Date: Fri, 02.07.21 21:07
Re: Taglines???
AC> No problem Smile
AC>
AC> I'm just a little irritated about the position of your taglines, as I
AC> would've expected the tagline just above the tearline instead of above
AC> your signature...
AC>
AC> Regards,
AC> Anna

Don't blame me, mama - its the new Mystic addition...

Rockstars use software, we don't write it. Razz

... "Every man likes to flirt with a pretty girl..." (George Eliot)

From: paul lee (1:105/420)
To: All
Date: Fri, 02.07.21 21:10
Re: Taglines???
TM> There is a whole 1 meg tagline file in the \RENEGADE\TEXT directory.
TM> I've included it sicne we added taglines back in 2003. You are more
TM> than welcome to grab it from a full install.

Sweet - thanks, TJ... I've sucked the internet & have 500,000 taglines or so
and am playing with putting them in collections - in case anyone needs them. Razz

Available at 2o fOr beeRS file area #22, taglines.zip - 20MB of super sweet
198x-199x taglines. w00t w00t!!!

20ForbeErs.com:1337

Thanks, RG is DABEST!

... This tagline is SHAREWARE! To register, send me $10

From: paul lee (1:105/420)
To: All
Date: Fri, 02.07.21 21:11
Re: Taglines???
JC> I may change it to place itself directly above the tear line, but
JC> personally I kind of like the blank space above it. Open to hearing
JC> more opinions though if people have them.

I like them BELOW the autosignature, at the end - where they should go... but
what do I know. EVERYTHING!

... Tagline thief level 20, +7 to swipe.

From: James Coyle (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Fri, 02.07.21 23:46
Re: Taglines???
SD> From what I've seen in my time hanging out around these parts, in
SD> echomail, it's "tagline-tearline-origin line" without any spaces
SD> between. I've also seen plenty of messages where people put a space in
SD> between the tagline and the tearline/origin combo.

You're right its absolutely more common to have no space between the tag and
tear. I just think a lot of clutter in that area can end up looking pretty
sloppy at times too. I've removed the space for now and I'll see maybe it will
grow on me!

SD> Thank you for continuing to develop Mystic. I appreciate your effort
SD> and time invested in your software!

Thanks!

... Real Programmers balance their checkbooks in hex

* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: James Coyle (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Sat, 03.07.21 00:28
Re: Taglines???
pl> JC> I may change it to place itself directly above the tear line, but
pl> JC> personally I kind of like the blank space above it. Open to hearing
pl> JC> more opinions though if people have them.
pl>
pl> I like them BELOW the autosignature, at the end - where they should
pl> go... but what do I know. EVERYTHING!

They are below the auto signture, just not in the build you are using. Smile

... A social life? Where can I download that!?

* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: Nick Andre (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Sat, 03.07.21 01:35
Re: Taglines???
On 02 Jul 21 12:07:33, James Coyle said the following to Sean Dennis:

JC> I may change it to place itself directly above the tear line, but personall
JC> kind of like the blank space above it. Open to hearing more opinions thoug
JC> if people have them.

Would vote on it being optional, like the Cowbell feature.

Nick
--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: All
Date: Sat, 03.07.21 05:09
Re: Taglines???
NA> Would vote on it being optional, like the Cowbell feature.

One can always use more cowbell.

Christopher Walken told me so.

-- Sean
--- Maximus/2 3.01
* Origin: Outpost BBS * bbs.outpostbbs.net:10123 (1:18/200)

From: Anna Christina Nass (2:240/5824.1)
To: All
Date: Sat, 03.07.21 18:33
Re: Taglines???
Am 02.07.21 schrieb paul lee@1:105/420 in BBS_CARNIVAL:

Hallo paul,

AC>> I'm just a little irritated about the position of your taglines, as I
AC>> would've expected the tagline just above the tearline instead of above
AC>> your signature...

pl> Don't blame me, mama - its the new Mystic addition...

I don't blame you for anything, I have just wondered a little Smile

If the tagline is above the signature it may mislead the reader and make
one think that it is something that *you* said and not "only" a tagline.

Regards,
Anna
... who will also start collecting taglines and configures them in OpenXP

From: Anna Christina Nass (2:240/5824.1)
To: All
Date: Sat, 03.07.21 18:34
Re: Taglines???
Am 02.07.21 schrieb Sean Dennis@1:18/200 in BBS_CARNIVAL:

Hallo Sean,

AN>> I'm just a little irritated about the position of your taglines, as I
AN>> would've expected the tagline just above the tearline instead of
AN>> above your signature...

SD> Considering there are no "standards" about taglines, or even that they
SD> should be used, that shouldn't be an issue.

It's not really an issue, but it might make one think that the contents of
the tagline is something that the author of the message says.

From: James Coyle (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Sat, 03.07.21 13:41
Re: Taglines???
NA> JC> I may change it to place itself directly above the tear line, but pers
NA> JC> kind of like the blank space above it. Open to hearing more opinions
NA> JC> if people have them.
NA>
NA> Would vote on it being optional, like the Cowbell feature.

You only THINK the Cowbell feature is optional, but there will always been more
Cowbell.

... "No comment" is a comment.

* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: All
Date: Sat, 03.07.21 14:37
Re: Taglines???
ACN> It's not really an issue, but it might make one think
ACN> that the contents of
ACN> the tagline is something that the author of the message says.

If one has been involved in BBSing for any length of time, one knows that a
tagline may not be something the author of the message wrote themselves (though
often it is) but it's an idea that they agree with else they wouldn't have
posted it. To me, a tagline is more of an aside to the message.

Taglines have always been an option, not a requirement. I like taglines but I
know many that do not.