Fidonet Portal

From: Rick Smith (1:105/10.1)
To: All
Date: Sat, 19.06.21 13:30
Bash script
Greetings All!

I believe this is where this ? goes...

Not sure if this is where I would ask this question or not? I am trying to
make bash script to combine a
couple of other scripts and I had a couple of questions. So If I make a
script that performs something
and then it calls say another script, would the first script then pause until
the called side script
completes? If not is there a way to make it wait to move forward until the
other one completes? I hope I
am describing this well for you.

----
Regards,

Rick Smith (Nitro)

... There's a fine line between BBSing and beebling
--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20180707
* Origin: ----> Abacus Sysop Point --->>>>bbs.abon.us:2323 (1:105/10.1)

From: Scott Mcleod (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Sun, 20.06.21 13:50
Re: Bash script
-=> Benny Pedersen wrote to Rick Smith <=-

BP> @MSGID: <60CE3BB9.48469.linux@vert.synchro.net>
BP> @REPLY: <60CE388A.48468.linux@vert.synchro.net>
BP> Hello Rick!

BP> 19 Jun 2021 11:30, Rick Smith wrote to All:

RS> completes? If not is there a way to make it wait to move forward
RS> until the other one completes? I hope I
RS> am describing this well for you.

BP> bash start_end_off_world.sh && bash stop_end_off_world.sh

BP> ?

BP> if start_end_off_world.sh will not end, then the 2nd
BP> stop_end_off_world.sh will not be called

BP> hopefully more linux geeks can stop it Smile

Calling another script is just like calling another program. It
will wait for it to finish before continuing unless you run it in
the backgound.

BP> Regards Benny

BP> ... too late to die young Smile

BP> --- Msged/LNX 6.1.2 (Linux/5.12.12-gentoo-dist (x86_64)Wink
BP> * Origin: I will always keep a PC running CPM 3.0 (2:230/0)
--- MultiMail/Win v0.52
* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)

From: Brian Rogers (1:142/103)
To: All
Date: Sat, 26.06.21 16:52
Re: Bash script
Hello Kai;

-=> Kai Richter wrote to Benny Pedersen <=-

I'll wrap the two in brackets so an offline quote won't confuse you.

{ cat file > results.txt } write the results of "cat file" to results.txt
as a NEW file.

{cat file2 >> results.txt } -appends- the results of "cat file2" to results.txt
which follows the results of "cat file".

... Help, I've fallen and I can't reach my keybd
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
* Origin: SBBS - Carnage! Hartford, Ct (1:142/103)