Fidonet Portal

From: FidoNews Robot (2:2/2)
To: All
Date: Mon, 07.06.21 03:31
FidoNews 38:23 [01/08]: Editorial
EDITORIAL

Freedom of Speech

This subject seems to be more and more difficult to understand by some
people for each year that passes. Not only in FidoNet but worse than
that, all over the entire world.

Freedom of Speech is, like all freedoms, binary. Either you have it
or you do not. There is no middle way.

Voltaire (Fran?ois-Marie Arouet) did not actually say it, it was
Evelyn Beatrice Hall that interpreted his thoughts this way:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your
right to say it."

Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Pol Pot, Kim Il-sung and all other
dictators we know of were all in favour of Freedom of Speech. As long
as that speech did not oppose to what they regarded as proper.

I'm constantly reminded of what a bad person I am to allow this or
that user to execute his Freedom of Speech in the FIDONEWS echo. "Ban
him!" shouts the crowd. I.e. "No more Freedom of Speech here, unless
we like it!"

Can't you really see what you are saying? Is it really that hard to
press the Next key if you find someone opposing to what you regard as
proper?

After all, nobody is forcing you to read anything. Neither in a
FidoNet echo nor on Twitter, FaceBook, Fox News or wherever. Surely
you have more important matters to be upset with, or even angry with,
in your lives?

Once again:

Freedom of Speech is, like all freedoms, binary. Either you have it
or you do not.

It's your choice, be sure to choose well. Once you've lost it, it
can take ages to get it back, if ever.

.

--- Azure/NewsPrep 3.0
* Origin: Home of the Fidonews (2:2/2.0)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Mon, 07.06.21 11:03
Re: FidoNews 38:23 [01/08]: Editorial
FR> Freedom of Speech is, like all freedoms, binary. Either you have it
FR> or you do not. There is no middle way.

And lying is just an ultimate form of freedom of speech ...

\%/@rd

--- DB4
* Origin: Hou het veilig, hou vol. Het komt allemaal weer goed (2:292/854)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Mon, 07.06.21 23:18
Re: FidoNews 38:23 [01/08]: Editorial
Michiel,

Mv> That may work for the echo, it would not work for the magazine published
Mv> as a file.

There's a regular nodelist and a UTF8-nodelist (version zone-2).

Maybe the editor could plan to have the original format Fidonews and also
publish a UTF8-format?

<famous quote> ... "how difficult can it be?"

From: Anna Christina Nass (2:240/5824.1)
To: All
Date: Thu, 10.06.21 12:33
Re: FidoNews 38:23 [01/08]: Editorial
Am 10.06.21 schrieb alexander koryagin@2:5075/128.130 in FIDONEWS:

Hallo alexander,

ak> ASCII == "American Standard Code for Information Interchange", and they
ak> don't need more symbols in the US. ;)

But is it ASCII-1963, ASCII-1965 or ASCII-1968? Smile

Regards,
Anna
--- OpenXP 5.0.50
* Origin: Imzadi Box Point (2:240/5824.1)

From: Anna Christina Nass (2:240/5824.1)
To: All
Date: Mon, 14.06.21 13:38
Am 13.06.21 schrieb alexander koryagin@2:5075/128.130 in FIDONEWS:

Hallo alexander,

ak>>> ASCII == "American Standard Code for Information
ak>>> Interchange", and they don't need more symbols in the US. ;)
AN>> But is it ASCII-1963, ASCII-1965 or ASCII-1968? Smile
ak> ASCII with 256 symbols probably may be called not plain but extended?

Yes, it is.
But I did not mean any "codepages" or sth. like that, but the *revisions*
of ASCII.
The first one was introduced in 1963 (and is the base for PETSCII btw),
then came one revision in 1965 and the final one in 1968, which is still
in use for the first 128 symbols.

I just wanted to point out that "ASCII" can, if you want to be picky, mean
different things Smile