Fidonet Portal

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: All
Date: Wed, 02.06.21 13:00
ES Picture of the Day 02 2021
EPOD - a service of USRA

The Earth Science Picture of the Day (EPOD) highlights the diverse processes
and phenomena which shape our planet and our lives. EPOD will collect and
archive photos, imagery, graphics, and artwork with short explanatory
captions and links exemplifying features within the Earth system. The
community is invited to contribute digital imagery, short captions and
relevant links.

Interplay of Rocket Exhaust and its Reflection on Water

June 02, 2021

2T2A2047-Edit

Photographer: Michael Seeley

Summary Authors: Michael Seeley; Jim Foster

Shown above is a 195-second exposure of the launch of a SpaceX
Falcon9 rocket from Cape Canaveral, Florida. It was taken at
4:28 a.m. (local time) on March 24, 2021. I chose my viewing position
specifically to have water in view of the camera since I thought it
would be glassy enough to mirror the launch and the rocket’s
exhaust. As it turned out, the water, though not rough, was gently
rolling, creating the curious squiggles in the foreground that caught
my attention. This is something I hadn’t previously observed. The
exhaust's reflection on the water is known as a glitter path. Like
all such paths, it's composed of quickly moving points of light darting
over the water's surface. However, the "squiggles" are akin to moon
circles that can only be seen when the water surface is rippled. I find
the interplay between the water and the rocket exhaust to be quiet
mesmerizing.

Cocoa Beach, Florida Coordinates: 28.3200, -80.6076

Recent EPODs

strong_storms_over_the_olympic_mountains
a_lacy_curtain_of_stone
archive_schunemunk_mountain_conglomerate purple_anemone
geodiversity_atop_utahs_velvet_ridge may_apples_in_my_garden
-
Earth Science Picture of the Day is a service of the Universities
Space Research Association.

https://epod.usra.edu

--- up 3 weeks, 5 days, 12 hours, 15 minutes
* Origin: -=> Castle Rock BBS <=- Now Husky HPT Powered! (1:317/3)