Fidonet Portal

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: All
Date: Fri, 28.05.21 13:00
ES Picture of the Day 28 2021
EPOD - a service of USRA

The Earth Science Picture of the Day (EPOD) highlights the diverse processes
and phenomena which shape our planet and our lives. EPOD will collect and
archive photos, imagery, graphics, and artwork with short explanatory
captions and links exemplifying features within the Earth system. The
community is invited to contribute digital imagery, short captions and
relevant links.

Purple Anemone

May 28, 2021

Menashe_anemone_Picture3

Photographer: Menashe Davidson
Summary Author: Menashe Davidson

The main characteristic of the purple anemone flower is its
showiness. This is one flower you’ll always notice in the garden,
regardless of whatever is in bloom nearby. It belongs to the genus
anemone, comprised of over 200 species. The word “ anemone” is
derived from the Greek term "anemos" meaning winds. Thus, the purple
anemone is sometimes referred to as the windflower.

Flowers of the purple anemone tend to retire once the Sun goes down, a
phenomenon known as nyctinasty. On the montage pictured above, 4
stages are demonstrated in the anemone’s diurnal cycle. All photos
were taken in my home garden, in Rishon LeZion, Israel, on March 7,
2021. When the flowers are open, in addition to their delicate petals,
they expose their reproductive organs, illustrating a range of
shapes, colors and curves (bottom left).

Rishon LeZion, Israel Coordinates: 31.9730, 34,7925

Related EPODs

Purple Anemone May Apples in My Garden Blooming of Pico de
Graja on La Palma Bald Cypress Trees and Their Enigmatic “knees”
Terraces Dryland Farming Development of a Zinnia Flower
More...

Plant Links

* Discover Life
* Tree Encyclopedia
* What are Phytoplankton?
* Encyclopedia of Life - What is a Plant?
* USDA Plants Database
* University of Texas Native Plant Database
* Plants in Motion
* What Tree is It?

-
Earth Science Picture of the Day is a service of the Universities
Space Research Association.

https://epod.usra.edu
--- up 3 weeks, 12 hours, 15 minutes
* Origin: -=> Castle Rock BBS <=- Now Husky HPT Powered! (1:317/3)