Fidonet Portal

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: All
Date: Wed, 26.05.21 13:00
ES Picture of the Day 26 2021
EPOD - a service of USRA

The Earth Science Picture of the Day (EPOD) highlights the diverse processes
and phenomena which shape our planet and our lives. EPOD will collect and
archive photos, imagery, graphics, and artwork with short explanatory
captions and links exemplifying features within the Earth system. The
community is invited to contribute digital imagery, short captions and
relevant links.

May Apples in My Garden

May 26, 2021

Image1 (2)

Photographer: Dale Hugo

Summary Author: Dale Hugo

Our dear neighbor asked my wife if she’d like some of her 'umbrella
plants', as she called them. They’re really May Apples
( Podophyllum peltatum), a species in the barberry family. In
fact, they’re the only member of this group. They’ve grown to spread
within the confines of our small garden, where they receive a dose of
sunshine in the morning and then deepening shade in the afternoon. They
like shade and do well in deep forests, sprouting before the leafy
trees in the early spring, and bearing fruit, the apples, in May and
June. May Apples flower after about 4 or 5 years; the fragrance of
their flower ranges from likable to stinky, dependent upon the person's
preference. Box turtles help spread the seeds.
All parts of the plant except the fruit are toxic. The toxin is
podophyllotoxin (PPT).This active ingredient can be used as a cream
to treat warts. Native Americans used it to treat parasitic worm
infections, deafness, snake bite and as a laxative.

Notice that other plants are sprouting around our May Apples. These are
peonies that will eventually tower over them, providing them shade.

Arlington Heights, Illinois Coordinates: 42.0884, -87.9806

Related EPODs

May Apples in My Garden Blooming of Pico de Graja on La Palma
Bald Cypress Trees and Their Enigmatic “knees” Terraces Dryland
Farming Development of a Zinnia Flower A Tree is Known by its
Fruit
More...

Plant Links

* Discover Life
* Tree Encyclopedia
* What are Phytoplankton?
* Encyclopedia of Life - What is a Plant?
* USDA Plants Database
* University of Texas Native Plant Database
* Plants in Motion
* What Tree is It?

-
Earth Science Picture of the Day is a service of the Universities
Space Research Association.

https://epod.usra.edu

--- up 2 weeks, 5 days, 12 hours, 15 minutes
* Origin: -=> Castle Rock BBS <=- Now Husky HPT Powered! (1:317/3)