Fidonet Portal

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: All
Date: Fri, 21.05.21 13:00
ES Picture of the Day 21 2021
EPOD - a service of USRA

The Earth Science Picture of the Day (EPOD) highlights the diverse processes
and phenomena which shape our planet and our lives. EPOD will collect and
archive photos, imagery, graphics, and artwork with short explanatory
captions and links exemplifying features within the Earth system. The
community is invited to contribute digital imagery, short captions and
relevant links.

The Relativistic Jet of M87

May 21, 2021

HSIII_M87_12subs_4mins_dither_2star_SDMask_DDP_Crop_Flat202020_MSS_
NoiseRed_LCE_Composite_Arrowed

Photographer: Greg Parker
Summary Author: Greg Parker
As it’s galaxy viewing season now (for stargazers with telescopes), I
thought I'd look for the relativistic jet coming out of galaxy
M87 in the Virgo Galaxy Cluster. M87, some 54 million light
years away, is the galaxy where a radio image of the supermassive
black hole that lies at its center was recently acquired. The
relativistic jet of high energy particles is the signature of this
black hole.

After imaging, when I did my normal processing procedure, the jet was
lost in the glare of M87 itself. So, I used a Digital Development
Filter to mask out the galaxy, and this allowed the jet to be seen
quite clearly. Photo taken on April 18, 2021.
Photo details; The image consists of 12 sub-exposures each of 4-minutes
taken on a Hyperstar III (f#2; Celestron C11 SCR telescope; Starlight
Xpress 814C one shot color CCD camera. The main frame is the whole
field of view of the Hyperstar III with M87 at the center of the frame.
The insert is a further processed view of just M87 in order to make the
jet clearer.

New Forest Observatory, Brockenhurst, Hampshire, U.K. Coordinates:
50.819700, -1.590349

Related EPODs

The Relativistic Jet of M87 Battle of the Moons Star Trails
Overhead the Statue of Mother M4 Globular Star Cluster - The Golden
Globular Star Trails Viewed from Inside a Cave Panoramic View
of Villarrica Volcano and the Southern Sky
More...

Night Sky Links

* Space Weather Live
* Space Weather Live Forum
* About the Moon
* American Meteor Society
* Arbeitskreises Meteore e.V.
* Global City Lights
* Heavens Above Home Page
* The International Meteor Organization
* Lunar and Planetary Institute
* MoonConnection
* NASA Eclipse Web Page
* Understanding The Moon Phases

-
Earth Science Picture of the Day is a service of the Universities
Space Research Association.

https://epod.usra.edu

--- up 2 weeks, 12 hours, 15 minutes
* Origin: -=> Castle Rock BBS <=- Now Husky HPT Powered! (1:317/3)