Fidonet Portal

From: Bjrn Felten (2:203/2)
To: All
Date: Wed, 04.07.07 11:46
Freezing
DW> I wonder why Europeans use centilitres. Here in North America, we use
DW> millilitres for amounts less than a litre but more than a few drops.

Just as with m -- mm, cm, dm, m, hm (not common outside of the military) and
km -- we use what's most convenient -- ml, cl, dl, l, hl, hmmm... almost never
seen kl, there we go over to cubic m instead -- in order not to get too many
decimals/zeroes.

DW> And why is fuel consumption measured in "litres per hundred
DW> kilometres"?

Because on the fuel pump litres is the measurement displayed. But in Sweden
we use "liter per mil" where "mil" is a Swedish mile which is ten km.

Or do you mean why we use fuel consumption (i.e. the amount of fuel the
vehicle consumes over a certain distance) rather than the US way of how far you
get on a certain amount of fuel (mpg)?

--- Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 (Windows/20070604)
* Origin: news://felten.yi.org (2:203/2)