Fidonet Portal

From: Richard Menedetter (2:310/31)
To: All
Date: Mon, 03.05.21 13:14
Replicas of old computers
Hi Anna!

03 May 2021 10:51, from Anna Christina Nass -> Augusto Baffa:

AN> I also thought about a PiDP-11 Smile

PiDP-11 really looks nice.
I have the KIM-Uno from the same guy.
https://obsolescence.wixsite.com/obsolescence/kim-uno-summary-c1uuh

AB>> Is there anyone into it?

AN> I've built an IMSAI 8080 replica, based on an ESP32 microcontroller.
AN> It's a nice soldering project and looks very nice.

AN> Besides, I've built an RC2014, a "new" Z80-based machine where I'm
AN> using CP/M on, together with several add-on cards (sound, terminal,
AN> RTC ...Wink. And I have a SC126, also a "new" design, based on a Z180. It
AN> uses the same bus pinout as the RC2014 and so I can also use the same
AN> add-on cards there. I also use CP/M on this machine.

My problem is I am really terrible at soldering ...

Do you have links to the above 2 projects?

CU, Ricsi

... Genius without education is like silver in the mine. -Ben Franklin
--- GoldED+/LNX
* Origin: When I'm naked in the bathroom, the shower is turned on. (2:310/31)

From: Ron Lauzon (1:275/89)
To: All
Date: Mon, 03.05.21 10:18
Re: Replicas of old compu
-=> Anna Christina Nass wrote to Augusto Baffa <=-

ACN> Besides, I've built an RC2014, a "new" Z80-based machine where I'm
ACN> using CP/M on, together with several add-on cards (sound, terminal, RTC
ACN> ...Wink. And I have a SC126, also a "new" design, based on a Z180. It uses
ACN> the same bus pinout as the RC2014 and so I can also use the same add-on
ACN> cards there. I also use CP/M on this machine.

How's the SC126 compare to the RC2014? I've already got a few RC2014s that
I don't use enough and I'm debating whether to add the SC126 to my project
list.

... You have PMS and a Handgun? I'll go quietly.....
=== MultiMail/Linux v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Win32
* Origin: Diamond Mine Online BBS - bbs.dmine.net:24 (1:275/89)

From: Anna Christina Nass (2:240/5824.1)
To: All
Date: Tue, 04.05.21 12:25
Re: Replicas of old compu
Am 03.05.21 schrieb Ron Lauzon@1:275/89 in CLASSIC_COMPUTER:

Hallo Ron,

RL> How's the SC126 compare to the RC2014? I've already got a few RC2014s
RL> that I don't use enough and I'm debating whether to add the SC126 to my
RL> project list.

If you have a RC2014 with the 512k ROM/RAM module and RomWBW, the
difference isn't that big.
The main advantages of the SC126 are (in my opinion):
- faster CPU, but if you want to play games that are specific to a certain
CPU speed, it might be too quick...
- SD card support, but the SD card is slower than the CF module of the
RC2014
- software controllable serial port speed
- it has 8 LEDs which can be controlled by software, no extra module
needed
- two ROM chips instead of one, selectable via jumper
- all in one package Smile

In my opinion, most of the things can be added to a RC2014 as well, even
the Z180 is available as a module afaik.
The software controllable serial port speed is also possible with a CTC
and SIO/2 module from Steve Cousins.

For some people, the most important factor is the "all in one" package.

I've added some modules to my SC126:
- VT132 terminal module
- WD floppy controller (+ 3,5" drive)
- additional bus module with:
- SC104 SIO/2 module
- IDE module (+ hard drive)
- YM sound card

*g*

Regards,
Anna

--- OpenXP 5.0.49
* Origin: Imzadi Box Point (2:240/5824.1)