Fidonet Portal

From: Augusto Baffa (4:801/202)
To: All
Date: Sun, 02.05.21 20:32
Replicas of old computers
Hi there,

I'm an enthusiast of old computer replicas. Actually, I've already
assembled some kits like Altair(duino) 8800, PiDP-8 and PiDP-11. There
are very nice to study old languages like focal/cobol/fortran/basic and
assembly language as well.

On jan/2021 I assembled a ZX81 (homebrew project) and I'm recovering my
old apple ][+. But there unusual minicomputers are awesome.

Is there anyone into it?

Augusto Baffa
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
* Origin: Baffa BBS - baffa.zapto.org (4:801/202)

From: Anna Christina Nass (2:240/5824.1)
To: All
Date: Mon, 03.05.21 11:43
Re: Replicas of old computers
Am 02.05.21 schrieb Augusto Baffa@4:801/202 in CLASSIC_COMPUTER:

Hallo Augusto,

AB> I'm an enthusiast of old computer replicas. Actually, I've already
AB> assembled some kits like Altair(duino) 8800, PiDP-8 and PiDP-11. There
AB> are very nice to study old languages like focal/cobol/fortran/basic and
AB> assembly language as well.

AB> On jan/2021 I assembled a ZX81 (homebrew project) and I'm recovering my
AB> old apple ][+. But there unusual minicomputers are awesome.

Nice collection of replicas!
I also thought about a PiDP-11 Smile

AB> Is there anyone into it?

I've built an IMSAI 8080 replica, based on an ESP32 microcontroller.
It's a nice soldering project and looks very nice.

Besides, I've built an RC2014, a "new" Z80-based machine where I'm using
CP/M on, together with several add-on cards (sound, terminal, RTC ...Wink.
And I have a SC126, also a "new" design, based on a Z180. It uses the same
bus pinout as the RC2014 and so I can also use the same add-on cards
there. I also use CP/M on this machine.

Regards,
Anna

--- OpenXP 5.0.49
* Origin: Imzadi Box Point (2:240/5824.1)

From: Anna Christina Nass (2:240/5824.1)
To: All
Date: Tue, 04.05.21 12:25
Re: Replicas of old computers
Am 03.05.21 schrieb Richard Menedetter@2:310/31 in CLASSIC_COMPUTER:

Hallo Richard,

RM> I have the KIM-Uno from the same guy.
RM> https://obsolescence.wixsite.com/obsolescence/kim-uno-summary-c1uuh

Oh, this one is new to me - it's neat Smile

AN>> Besides, I've built an RC2014, a "new" Z80-based machine where I'm
AN>> using CP/M on, together with several add-on cards (sound, terminal,
AN>> RTC ...Wink. And I have a SC126, also a "new" design, based on a Z180. It
AN>> uses the same bus pinout as the RC2014 and so I can also use the same
AN>> add-on cards there. I also use CP/M on this machine.

RM> My problem is I am really terrible at soldering ...

I had also almost no idea about soldering, but I just started with the
"RC2014 Pro" model and got some practice with it (and also watched some
YouTube tutorials *g*).
But the RC2014 worked from the first try (and still does) Smile

RM> Do you have links to the above 2 projects?

I don't know which two you are meaning, as I mentioned 3: *g*

- RC2014: https://rc2014.co.uk
Store: https://www.tindie.com/stores/Semachthemonkey/
- SC126: https://smallcomputercentral.wordpress.com
Store: https://www.tindie.com/stores/tindiescx/
He has a wide range of products and computer models Smile
- Imsai 8080 replica: https://thehighnibble.com/imsai8080/

From: Augusto Baffa (4:801/202)
To: All
Date: Tue, 04.05.21 18:28
Re: Replicas of old computers
Altair

Altair-Duino 8800 https://adwaterandstir.com/altair/ (Very nice replica
for these days... uses arduino)

Altair 8800 Clone https://altairclone.com/ (replica of the original tech)

Altair 8800c Clone https://deramp.com/altair_8800c.html (another great
replica that uses the original tech)

===

KenBak-1 Replica https://adwaterandstir.com/kenbak/

===
DEC PDPs (uses raspberry pi)

PDP-8 https://obsolescence.wixsite.com/obsolescence/pidp-8
PDP-11 https://obsolescence.wixsite.com/obsolescence/pidp-11

The creator is working on a PDP-10 replica now.
===

IMSAI 8080 https://thehighnibble.com/imsai8080/ (replica that uses esp32)

===

Digirule2u https://bradsprojects.com/digirule2/ pardon for this offtopic
but it's a small computer in a rule very related to old panel computers
(I ordered one but it's still on its way ...Wink

===

Does any one know about other replicas?

Ministrel is a replica of ZX81 but it's not being produced for while.
http://www.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/Shop

* BTW... I projected my own one replica of a ZX81 ant it's great...
maybe I'll sell as a kit someday...

-

Harlequin is a ZX Spectrum Replica http://www.zxdesign.info/harlequin.shtml

--------------------------

I've heard about some apple1 replicas... and I know that the guy from
altairduino is creating his own version of an apple 1...

Please send more links about other old computer replicas Very Happy ... but
don't consider FPGA solutions 'cos they are "easy" to develop and don't
provide the same fun...

On 03/05/2021 07:49, Richard Menedetter wrote:
> Hi Anna!
>
> 03 May 2021 10:51, from Anna Christina Nass -> Augusto Baffa:
>
> AN> I also thought about a PiDP-11 Smile
>
> PiDP-11 really looks nice.
> I have the KIM-Uno from the same guy.
> https://obsolescence.wixsite.com/obsolescence/kim-uno-summary-c1uuh
>
> AB>> Is there anyone into it?
>
> AN> I've built an IMSAI 8080 replica, based on an ESP32 microcontroller.
> AN> It's a nice soldering project and looks very nice.
>
> AN> Besides, I've built an RC2014, a "new" Z80-based machine where I'm
> AN> using CP/M on, together with several add-on cards (sound, terminal,
> AN> RTC ...Wink. And I have a SC126, also a "new" design, based on a Z180. It
> AN> uses the same bus pinout as the RC2014 and so I can also use the same
> AN> add-on cards there. I also use CP/M on this machine.
>
> My problem is I am really terrible at soldering ...
>
> Do you have links to the above 2 projects?
>
> CU, Ricsi
>
> ... Genius without education is like silver in the mine. -Ben Franklin
> --- GoldED+/LNX
> * Origin: When I'm naked in the bathroom, the shower is turned on.
(2:310/31)