Fidonet Portal






From: Lars Erdmann (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 06.10.19 16:06
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Lars Erdmann <lars.erdmann@arcor.de>

On 05.10.19 08.38, Dave Yeo wrote:
> On 10/04/19 01:29 PM, Martin Dietze wrote:
>>> The sounds snippets "out-of-the-box" have sampling rates of 22050 or
>>> even 11025 only. Try if 'sox.exe' to rate 44100 would help.
>> Not sure I understand this. I guess this only makes sense if I have
>> sound on my system, right?
>
> Exactly, some USB audio adapters really don't like the low sampled sounds.
> Dave

That's why our USB audio drivers do automatic sample rate, bit depth and
channel (mono/stereo) conversion.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 05.10.19 22:19
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Sonntag, 6. Oktober 2019 20:06:38 UTC+2 schrieb Lars Erdmann:
> > Exactly, some USB audio adapters really don't like the low sampled soun=
ds.
> > Dave
>
> That's why our USB audio drivers do automatic sample rate, bit depth and=

> channel (mono/stereo) conversion.

Not sure if I understand you correctly here. The installation doing those f=
unny beeps uses PS/2 mouse and keyboard, not USB. Since it's a VM installat=
ion, I don't use USB at all, not sure whether it is even configured. Also t=
he problem started occurring at some point after install it had been fine.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 06.10.19 16:37
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Another few things I have tried now:

1. boot from floppy, regenerate os2.ini and os2sys.ini, no effect.

2. boot from floppy, rename all directories where I had software installed, no
effect.

3. Uninstalled MMOS2, no effect.

I'm getting to the point of thinking that there simply must be some corrupted
system file somewhere. Just very annoying that there doesn't seem to be a way
to identify it.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Mon, 07.10.19 02:02
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

On 10/07/19 05:37 AM, Martin Dietze wrote:
> I'm getting to the point of thinking that there simply must be some corrupted
system file somewhere. Just very annoying that there doesn't seem to be a way
to identify it.

IIRC, VMware doesn't officially support OS/2. Did your VMWare install
get updated at some point? I believe there are utilities to migrate the
virtual machine to VirtualBox, might be an interesting test.
What's weird is the actual beep, which isn't the system beep/bell
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Mon, 07.10.19 19:20
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Dienstag, 8. Oktober 2019 00:02:44 UTC+2 schrieb Dave Yeo:

> IIRC, VMware doesn't officially support OS/2. Did your VMWare install
> get updated at some point?

Yes, several times, I usually go with VMWare's upgrades.

> I believe there are utilities to migrate the
> virtual machine to VirtualBox, might be an interesting test.
> What's weird is the actual beep, which isn't the system beep/bell

I actually did this, but later realised that there is no support for the PC
speaker on a MacOS host anyway: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/627


--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Pete (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Tue, 08.10.19 19:15
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Pete <losepete@losepete.plus.com>

Hi

Martin Dietze wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 8. Oktober 2019 00:02:44 UTC+2 schrieb Dave Yeo:
>
>> IIRC, VMware doesn't officially support OS/2. Did your VMWare install
>> get updated at some point?
>
> Yes, several times, I usually go with VMWare's upgrades.
>


If the problem did not exist prior to a VMWare update there is a chance
that the update(s) introduced the problem.

Is it possible to backlevel those updates to check?


Regards

Pete

>> I believe there are utilities to migrate the
>> virtual machine to VirtualBox, might be an interesting test.
>> What's weird is the actual beep, which isn't the system beep/bell
>
> I actually did this, but later realised that there is no support for the PC
speaker on a MacOS host anyway: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/627
>
>
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Tue, 08.10.19 10:35
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Mittwoch, 9. Oktober 2019 01:15:40 UTC+2 schrieb Pete:

> If the problem did not exist prior to a VMWare update there is a chance=

> that the update(s) introduced the problem.
>
> Is it possible to backlevel those updates to check?
>
>
> Regards

I can't really pin it down to a particular update because I don't use the V=
M every day, actually I had not been using it for a while. What I have alre=
ady done is try out the different compatibility options. In VMWare you can =
set particular versions if you have problems. But all this did not have any=
effect.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Thu, 03.10.19 19:39
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

On 10/04/19 07:07 AM, Martin Dietze wrote:
> Am Freitag, 4. Oktober 2019 04:34:28 UTC+2 schrieb Dave Yeo:
>
>> A couple of possibilities, something crashing, look in popuplog.os2 in
>> the root of your boot volume.
> Thank you, that's a good one, but it does not contain any entries more recent
than a year old.
>
>> You're using Danis506.add and have a failing hard drive and it beeps
>> when there's a problem with reading/writing the drive.
> No, I'm not using it. Also since I'm in a VM I don't think hardware problems
are very likely Smile

OK. You ever clean your INI files? Look at https://ecsoft2.org/wptools
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Thu, 03.10.19 20:07
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Freitag, 4. Oktober 2019 17:39:19 UTC+2 schrieb Dave Yeo:

> OK. You ever clean your INI files? Look at https://ecsoft2.org/wptools

Thank you, I haven't done that for ages. checkini found quite a few things to
correct, but this did not solve the beep problem.

Not sure whether this helps, but I have tried out a few things and observed
that the beep I keep getting is lower and longer than the beep that I can
configure in the "warning beep" in the system setup.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Thu, 03.10.19 21:38
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Freitag, 4. Oktober 2019 18:07:47 UTC+2 schrieb Martin Dietze:

> Not sure whether this helps, but I have tried out a few things and observed
that the beep I keep getting is lower and longer than the beep that I can
configure in the "warning beep" in the system setup.

Plus: I get this will all native PM menus, e.g. a program's menu bar at every
click.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: LSoens (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 04.10.19 13:34
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: "LSoens" <nomail@nospam.invalid>

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 17:38:29 UTC, Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Am Freitag, 4. Oktober 2019 18:07:47 UTC+2 schrieb Martin Dietze:
>
> > Not sure whether this helps, but I have tried out a few things and observed
that the beep I keep getting is lower and longer than the beep that I can
configure in the "warning beep" in the system setup.
>
> Plus: I get this will all native PM menus, e.g. a program's menu bar at every
click.

Do you have system sounds en- or disabled (System Setup -> Sound) ?
The sound which you hear in your VM just might be crippled to a
beeping noise?
The sounds snippets "out-of-the-box" have sampling rates of 22050 or
even 11025 only. Try if 'sox.exe' to rate 44100 would help.


--
lothar .dot. soens .at. t .minus. online .dot. de

Wegen Unregelm??igkeiten im Betrieb f?hrt die Bahn heute p?nktlich.
Due to irregular service all trains go on schedule today.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 04.10.19 00:29
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Freitag, 4. Oktober 2019 21:34:07 UTC+2 schrieb LSoens:
> Do you have system sounds en- or disabled (Syst. em Setup -> Sound) ?

I had already tried completely disabling them. This made no difference. Apart
from that sound does not work in the VM anyway (I can check that by trying to
play the different system sounds).

> The sound which you hear in your VM just might be crippled to a
> beeping noise?

I think I can rule that out. It is pretty much the warning sound that you
usually get when the system has some problem

> The sounds snippets "out-of-the-box" have sampling rates of 22050 or
> even 11025 only. Try if 'sox.exe' to rate 44100 would help.

Not sure I understand this. I guess this only makes sense if I have sound on my
system, right?
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 04.10.19 10:38
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

On 10/04/19 01:29 PM, Martin Dietze wrote:
>> The sounds snippets "out-of-the-box" have sampling rates of 22050 or
>> even 11025 only. Try if 'sox.exe' to rate 44100 would help.
> Not sure I understand this. I guess this only makes sense if I have sound on
my system, right?

Exactly, some USB audio adapters really don't like the low sampled sounds.
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 04.10.19 13:35
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Samstag, 5. Oktober 2019 08:38:20 UTC+2 schrieb Dave Yeo:

> Exactly, some USB audio adapters really don't like the low sampled sounds=
..

I've given this a try, but no effect. As mentioned already, I have no sound=
in my VM. To my knowledge sound in an OS/2 guest with VMWare under MacOS g=
enerally does not work. When I try to play a wav file for instance, I get t=
he usual "not supported" dialog along with the usual warning tone (shorter,=
higher pitch), not the one I get with every click on a menu.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 04.10.19 14:33
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Samstag, 5. Oktober 2019 11:35:56 UTC+2 schrieb Martin Dietze:
> When I try to play a wav file for instance, I get the usual "not supported"
dialog along with the usual warning tone (shorter, higher pitch), not the one I
get with every click on a menu.

I need to correct myself here. It is actually a sequence: first the lower
pitch, longer beep, then the shorter, higher pitch warning beep.

I have captured a screen video demonstrating what happens including the tones I
am getting. Maybe this helps (or at least avoids misunderstandings):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12pDXED66GWbc3FVK-OL2AqzQ6FkH-UTl/view?usp=shari
ng
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 04.10.19 20:29
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Yet another reply to myself: I took a snapshot and removed MMOS2 entirely.
After that the beep was still there. I think that pretty much proves that the
problem is not related to sound drivers or anything else multimedia-related.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Pete (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 05.10.19 13:34
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Pete <losepete@losepete.plus.com>

Hi Martin

Martin Dietze wrote:
> Yet another reply to myself: I took a snapshot and removed MMOS2 entirely.
After that the beep was still there. I think that pretty much proves that the
problem is not related to sound drivers or anything else multimedia-related.
>


Does/Can your VM generate any log files? - might give a clue to the problem.


Regards

Pete
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 04.10.19 21:51
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Samstag, 5. Oktober 2019 19:35:01 UTC+2 schrieb Pete:

> Does/Can your VM generate any log files? - might give a clue to the problem.

There's the usual vmware.log file for the VM, but it does not contain any hint.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 05.10.19 07:53
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

On 10/05/19 03:33 AM, Martin Dietze wrote:
> Am Samstag, 5. Oktober 2019 11:35:56 UTC+2 schrieb Martin Dietze:
>> When I try to play a wav file for instance, I get the usual "not supported"
dialog along with the usual warning tone (shorter, higher pitch), not the one I
get with every click on a menu.
> I need to correct myself here. It is actually a sequence: first the lower
pitch, longer beep, then the shorter, higher pitch warning beep.
>
> I have captured a screen video demonstrating what happens including the tones
I am getting. Maybe this helps (or at least avoids misunderstandings):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12pDXED66GWbc3FVK-OL2AqzQ6FkH-UTl/view?usp=shari
ng

That is a weird beep. If I understand correctly, this only happens when
using the mouse to open a menu? Not, for example, using ALT-F to open
the file menu.
If so, you might want to try changing your mouse driver. You're likely
using the default smouse driver that is included with OS/2, perhaps try
installing amouse and see if that changes behaviour. Great thing about
virtual machines is how easy it is to take a snapshot and revert if needed.
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

From: Martin Dietze (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 05.10.19 10:37
Re: Warning tone (beep) whenever using the window menu or launchpad
From: Martin Dietze <mdietze@gmail.com>

Am Sonntag, 6. Oktober 2019 05:54:01 UTC+2 schrieb Dave Yeo:
> That is a weird beep. If I understand correctly, this only happens when
> using the mouse to open a menu? Not, for example, using ALT-F to open
> the file menu.

No, it also happens, when I use the keyboard.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2
* Origin: News Gate @ Net396 -Huntsville, AL - USA (1:396/4)

ABOUT

This forum contains echomail areas hosted on Nightmare BBS You can browse local echomail areas, italian fidonet areas and a selection of international fidonet areas, reading messages posted by users in Nightmare BBS or even other BBSs all over the world. You can find file areas too (functional to fidonet technology). You can browse echomail areas and download files with no registration, but if you want to write messages in echomail areas, or use fidonet netmail (private messages with fidomet technology), you have to register. Only a minimal set of data is required, functional to echomail and netmail usage (name, password, email); a registration and login with facebook is provided too, to allow easy registration. If you won't follow rules (each echomail areas has its own, regularly posted in the echomail), your account may be suspended;

CONTACT