Fidonet Portal

From: Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 03.05.20 09:22
Printing to a network printer: Brother DCP-L2540DW?
From: Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <johann@myrkraverk.invalid>

Dear c.o.o.misc,

In hope there is someone still using this newsgroup.

I am runnig ArcaOS in a VirtualBox, and since I have internet access,
I presume I can also talk to the local net. Is there a way to configure
my Brother DCP-L2540DW printer with CUPS, or any other current OS/2
printing technology? Alternatively, I can maybe connect to a print
server running in the host system, Windows 10? Though my preference
is the network printer itself, since that experience translates to a
physical machine as well.

What do I have to look into before I start to blindly test if it might
work?

--
Johann | email: invalid -> com | www.myrkraverk.com/blog/
I'm not from the Internet, I just work there. | twitter: @myrkraverk

From: Andreas Kohl (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 03.05.20 10:00
Re: Printing to a network printer: Brother DCP-L2540DW?
From: Andreas Kohl <ak120@arcor.de>

Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson schrieb:
> Dear c.o.o.misc,
>
> In hope there is someone still using this newsgroup.
>
> I am runnig ArcaOS in a VirtualBox, and since I have internet access,
> I presume I can also talk to the local net. Is there a way to configure
> my Brother DCP-L2540DW printer with CUPS, or any other current OS/2
> printing technology?

You can connect via LPR/LPD, Port 9100, IPP or FTP to the printer. So
uploading a PostScript file to the printer's ftp server should be the
first attempt. For creation of printer objects PCL6 (HP Laserjet 4000
from LASERJET.DRV) and PostScript Level 3 (PSCRIPT.DRV) can be used. You
can extract the ppd file from the Windows BRScript driver package (pkzip
/fix) available from Brother's website.

--
Andreas

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 16.05.20 21:24
Re: Printing to a network printer: Brother DCP-L2540DW?
From: Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson <johann@myrkraverk.invalid>

On 03/05/2020 8:00 pm, Andreas Kohl wrote:
> Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson schrieb:
>> Dear c.o.o.misc,
>>
>> In hope there is someone still using this newsgroup.
>>
>> I am runnig ArcaOS in a VirtualBox, and since I have internet access,
>> I presume I can also talk to the local net.  Is there a way to configure
>> my Brother DCP-L2540DW printer with CUPS, or any other current OS/2
>> printing technology?
>
> You can connect via LPR/LPD, Port 9100, IPP or FTP to the printer. So
> uploading a PostScript file to the printer's ftp server should be the
> first attempt. For creation of printer objects PCL6 (HP Laserjet 4000
> from LASERJET.DRV) and PostScript Level 3 (PSCRIPT.DRV) can be used. You
> can extract the ppd file from the Windows BRScript driver package (pkzip
> /fix) available from Brother's website.

Thank you. I am restarting this project after some time. I discovered
that my printer's FTP service is "offline" and I don't know how to turn
it on. The services that are enabled include LPD and IPP; APIPA, SNMP,
Raw Port and WebServices -- whatever those are.

Is there a command line tool, or something else, that I can use to send
a postscript file to the LPD service on my printer? Preferably some-
thing I don't have to download separately. I did not find a quick help
for the lpr and lpq commands I do have.

I already have the printer configured on Windows 10, can I extract the
ppd files from that installation, or do I have to download this BRScript
package you mentioned?