Fidonet Portal

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: All
Date: Thu, 08.04.21 13:00
ES Picture of the Day 08 2021
EPOD - a service of USRA

The Earth Science Picture of the Day (EPOD) highlights the diverse processes
and phenomena which shape our planet and our lives. EPOD will collect and
archive photos, imagery, graphics, and artwork with short explanatory
captions and links exemplifying features within the Earth system. The
community is invited to contribute digital imagery, short captions and
relevant links.

Cloud Corona Above Syracuse, Italy

April 08, 2021

Diurnal Nebulae or Iridescence Clouds LD

Photographer: Dario Giannobile
Summary Authors: Dario Giannobile; Jim Foster

The photo above shows the lovely, pastel colors I noticed in the
western sky before sunset, near my home in Syracuse, (Sicily) Italy. It
was taken on February 13, 2021. These colors aren’t associated with
sunset or twilight, however. Rather they result from the
diffraction of sunlight by tiny, uniform-sized droplets that
compose mid-level clouds that happen to be in the vicinity of
the Sun. This is a cloud corona. Its colors, filaments and
structure resemble nebula I sometimes see when peering through my
telescope.

Photo Details: Canon 6d camera; Sigma 150-600 lens; f/11; ISO 100;
1/3200 second exposure.
* Syracuse, Italy Coordinates: 37.0755, 15.2866

Related EPODs

Cloud Corona Above Syracuse, Italy Sunrise from the Roque de
Los Muchachos Astrophysical Observatory Lunar Mirage and Cruise
Ship Solar Halo and Lunar Halo Observed from Zsa'mbe'k, Hungary
Double Rainbow on Evia, Greece Twilight from Mount Penteli,
Greece
More...

Atmospheric Effects Links

* Atmospheric Optics
* Color and Light in Nature
* The Colors of Twillight and Sunset
* Refraction Index
* Image Gallery: Atmospheric Effects
* What is a Rainbow?

-
Earth Science Picture of the Day is a service of the Universities
Space Research Association.

https://epod.usra.edu

--- up 1 week, 6 days, 22 hours, 10 minutes
* Origin: -=> Castle Rock BBS <=- Now Husky HPT Powered! (1:317/3)