Fidonet Portal

From: JohnBWilloughby (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Sun, 28.03.21 21:28
3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
I started out at v3.15 and have upgraded successfully to 3.17. When upgrading
to 3.18, I have run into two issues.
First :
I was using a 3rd party menu called matrix3b, it is located a
c:\sbbs\text\menu\matrix3b\, there are three files in that folder,
matrix3b.ans, lamer.asc matrix3b.bin, and sysop.doc, the matrix3b.bin file
move to the c:\sbbs\exec directory. All files still exists in the same
folders, after the upgrade. After copying over all the files from the sbup318b
folder to their corresponding folders in c:\sbbs, I ran jsexec update from the
EXEC folder. When i attempt to login, i get a file can not find on the telnet
client and on the Syncrhonet Control panel I see in the terminal services panel
:
3/28 09:54:30p Node 1 09:54p Sun Mar 28 2021 Node 1
3/28 09:54:30p Node 1 Telnet ******************************
3/28 09:54:31p Node 1 received CTerm version report: 1.312
3/28 09:54:31p Node 1 terminal type: 80x24 syncterm
3/28 09:54:31p Node 1 !Error 2 (No such file or directory) opening:
\matrix3b\lamer.asc
The file lamer.asc is in the folder : C:\SBBS\text\menu\matrix3b\. Do the
files for matrix3b need to be located somewhere else ?

Second:
While I was on v3.17 I enabled the webv4 in sbbs.ini, and was able to verify
that it was working by going to localhost on the computer where sbbs was
running, I also verifyed that I could get to it from a comptuer in the same
subnet. There only modification was to the modpots.ini file in c:\sbbs\ctrl.
Once I upgrade to v3.18, I now get
I do get the top line (I guess that would be the header ?Wink but I get this on
the page :
!JavaScript c:\sbbs\webv4\lib/pages.js line 189: TypeError: page is undefined
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)

From: tracker1 (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Mon, 05.04.21 22:29
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
On 3/28/2021 7:28 PM, JohnBWilloughby wrote:

> While I was on v3.17 I enabled the webv4 in sbbs.ini, and was able to verify
> that it was working by going to localhost on the computer where sbbs was
> running, I also verifyed that I could get to it from a comptuer in the same
> subnet. There only modification was to the modpots.ini file in c:\sbbs\ctrl.
> Once I upgrade to v3.18, I now get
> I do get the top line (I guess that would be the header ?Wink but I get this on
> the page :

Try deleting *.xjs.ssjs (these are "built" xjs files, removing them will
be recreated with the updated version.
--
Michael J. Ryan - tracker1@roughneckbbs.com
---

From: JohnBWilloughby (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.04.21 10:23
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
> On 3/28/2021 7:28 PM, JohnBWilloughby wrote:

> Try deleting *.xjs.ssjs (these are "built" xjs files, removing them will
> be recreated with the updated version.
> --
I have the webv4 working now. I can login, use dark mode etc. the fix was the
guest in the sbbs database was all lower case, when I changed it to Guest,
everything started working Smile

I have been having one problem, thought your fix might work. but so far no joy.
As I was saying the new web interface is working, for Guest, sysop, and normal
user, with the exception of the "Files" menu, all other Menu Items work, but
when you click on the File, you get just a blank page in the middle area where
you would expect the listing of files etc. You can see for yourself as Guest
if you go to http://tfbbs.d2g.com

From: echicken (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.04.21 21:18
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
Re: Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
By: JohnBWilloughby to Tracker1 on Tue Apr 06 2021 08:23:00

Jo> I have been having one problem, thought your fix might work. but so far no
Jo> joy. As I was saying the new web interface is working, for Guest, sysop,
Jo> and normal user, with the exception of the "Files" menu, all other Menu
Jo> Items work, but when you click on the File, you get just a blank page in

When you update your BBS, are you updating everything, or cherrypicking certain
files? I suspect this might be related to a change that was made to
webv4/lib/files.js which depends on a recent copy of exec/load/filebase.js.

---
echicken
electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com
---

* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)

From: JohnBWilloughby (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.04.21 15:01
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
> Re: Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
> By: JohnBWilloughby to Tracker1 on Tue Apr 06 2021 08:23:00

> When you update your BBS, are you updating everything, or cherrypicking
> certain files? I suspect this might be related to a change that was made to
> webv4/lib/files.js which depends on a recent copy of exec/load/filebase.js.

When I updated my BBS, i did the incremental updates ... I started at 3.15, and
as I worked my way thru the updates. I went through the ReadMe.txt, and all the
commands.

When the webv4 wasnt working ( that was the guest vs Guest Wink, I copied the
webv4 from git and removed my c:\ssbs\webv4 and replaced it with the one from
git. I just checked and most of the files in the webv4 are dated 3/28/2010.
While the exec/load/filebase.js is dated 8/16/2020.

so if webv4/lib/files.js is newer than exec/load/filease.js that would cause
the Files issue ? Could the webv4 files being newer that the others also be
related to the Who's online not showing anything ?

There are no customization that I have made to the webv4 directory, so I could
remove (i.e. rename) and copy the webv4 from the incremental update to 3.18 and
see what that does.

From: JohnBWilloughby (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.04.21 15:06
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
>When you update your BBS, are you updating everything, or cherrypicking
certain files? I suspect this might be related to a >change that was made to
webv4/lib/files.js which depends on a recent copy of exec/load/filebase.js.

Success, when I move the 3.18 incremental webv4 folder back the files area is
working again.

The Who's Online is still not working Sad

From: echicken (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.04.21 22:40
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
Re: Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
By: JohnBWilloughby to echicken on Tue Apr 06 2021 13:01:16

Jo> so if webv4/lib/files.js is newer than exec/load/filease.js that would
Jo> cause the Files issue ? Could the webv4 files being newer that the others
Jo> also be related to the Who's online not showing anything ?

Yes, and yes. Both of these features rely on things from exec/load/ which may
be different or nonexistent on an earlier release.

Basically it's best not to think of webv4 as a separate or self-contained
project. At any time, an update to webv4 may rely on recent updates to other
parts of the BBS, or a change to some other part of the BBS may necessitate an
update to webv4 to avoid problems.

Jo> There are no customization that I have made to the webv4 directory, so I
Jo> could remove (i.e. rename) and copy the webv4 from the incremental update
Jo> to 3.18 and see what that does.

In all likelihood that will work better than using the current state of webv4
with an older Synchronet release.

---

From: echicken (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.04.21 22:50
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
Re: Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
By: JohnBWilloughby to echicken on Tue Apr 06 2021 13:06:54

Jo> The Who's Online is still not working Sad

In what sense?

I just had a look, and Who's Online has no dependencies outside of webv4. If
your webv4 install is internally consistent I would expect it to work.

By default Who's Online won't show up in your sidebar if nobody's online, or if
the only people online are in quiet/invisible mode. You can force it to always
show up by setting this in ctrl/modopts.ini -> [web]:

active_node_list = false

There's a similar setting for the "System Information" sidebar menu, which will
show all of the stats even if some of them are unflattering:

hide_empty_stats = false

Most if not all settings are described here:

http://wiki.synchro.net/config:webv4

---

From: JohnBWilloughby (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.04.21 15:57
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
> Yes, and yes. Both of these features rely on things from exec/load/ which may
> be different or nonexistent on an earlier release.

> Basically it's best not to think of webv4 as a separate or self-contained
> project. At any time, an update to webv4 may rely on recent updates to other
> parts of the BBS, or a change to some other part of the BBS may necessitate
> an update to webv4 to avoid problems.

Good to know, so when you update the webv4, will the update coniside with an
update to SBBS ?

> In all likelihood that will work better than using the current state of webv4
> with an older Synchronet release.

Yes its working much much better.

From: JohnBWilloughby (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.04.21 16:11
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
> In what sense?

When i go to http://tfbbs.d2g.com ( without logging in and a guest), on the
sidebar under Who's Online, No users are shown. (Although they are shown under
Recent Visitors). When I logon as myself or a test account, the Who's Online
is empty.

> By default Who's Online won't show up in your sidebar if nobody's online, or
> if the only people online are in quiet/invisible mode. You can force it to
> always show up by setting this in ctrl/modopts.ini -> [web]:

> active_node_list = false

I had it set to true, changed it to false, still not showing anyone online. I
have two test account logged in at the moment, one via telnet, on via Web. And
not showing up under Who's Online I check my account, and the two test
accounts and they are not set to quite

> There's a similar setting for the "System Information" sidebar menu, which
> will show all of the stats even if some of them are unflattering:

> hide_empty_stats = false

I saw that one, decided to set it to false, didnt like the unflattering info it
displayed.

> Most if not all settings are described here:

> http://wiki.synchro.net/config:webv4

I followed that link and set my [web] as follows :
[web]
guest = Guest
timeout = 43200
inactivity = 900
user_registration = true
minimum_password_length = 6
maximum_telegram_length = 800
web_directory = ../webv4
ftelnet = true
ftelnet_splash = ../text/tempest.ans
keyboard_navigation = false
vote_functions = true
refresh_interval = 60000
xtrn_blacklist = scfg,oneliner
layout_sidebar_off = false
layout_sidebar_left = false
layout_full_width = false
active_node_list = false
hide_empty_stats = true
locale = en_us
forum_extended_ascii = false
max_messages = 0
files_inline = true
darkmode_allow = true

From: echicken (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Wed, 07.04.21 01:45
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
Re: Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
By: JohnBWilloughby to echicken on Tue Apr 06 2021 14:11:33

>> active_node_list = false

Jo> I had it set to true, changed it to false, still not showing anyone
Jo> online. I have two test account logged in at the moment, one via telnet,

Is it not showing anyone online, but showing a list of nodes, or is Who's
Online just not appearing whatsoever?

I can't imagine why it would be broken, but there may be something in your log
to indicate an error.

You could also delete any .web files from your data/user/ directory, which
would log anyone out of the website who's currently logged in, but *might* help
with this (though probably not, it's just a guess).

---

From: JohnBWilloughby (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.04.21 19:48
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
> Re: Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
> By: JohnBWilloughby to echicken on Tue Apr 06 2021 14:11:33

> Is it not showing anyone online, but showing a list of nodes, or is Who's
> Online just not appearing whatsoever?

its not showing anyone online or nodes. On the side bar at the top it says
Who's Online and no one online. i dont even see the "via" and "Status" under
Who's Online.

> I can't imagine why it would be broken, but there may be something in your
> log to indicate an error.

Which log ? The http-xxxxx-log ?

> You could also delete any .web files from your data/user/ directory, which
> would log anyone out of the website who's currently logged in, but *might*
> help with this (though probably not, it's just a guess).

I can try that, there were only 2 .web files, one for user #1 and user #75,
that would be me and Guest.

From: echicken (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Wed, 07.04.21 17:44
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
Re: Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
By: JohnBWilloughby to echicken on Tue Apr 06 2021 13:57:21

Jo> Good to know, so when you update the webv4, will the update coniside with
Jo> an update to SBBS ?

Sometimes an update to webv4 depends on a recent change to Synchronet,
sometimes not. Sometimes (but rarely) a change to Synchronet will necessitate a
change to webv4. There's no one answer.

Basically if you update your BBS, you should update webv4 - and vice versa.

---

From: echicken (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Wed, 07.04.21 17:54
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
Re: Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
By: JohnBWilloughby to echicken on Tue Apr 06 2021 14:11:33

Jo> When i go to http://tfbbs.d2g.com ( without logging in and a guest), on
Jo> the sidebar under Who's Online, No users are shown. (Although they are
Jo> shown under Recent Visitors). When I logon as myself or a test account,

There's something wrong with your webv4/root/api/events.ssjs, but I can't be
sure what. I just made a change to that file, but I am not sure that it will
help.

---

From: JohnBWilloughby (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Thu, 08.04.21 09:20
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
> There's something wrong with your webv4/root/api/events.ssjs, but I can't be
> sure what. I just made a change to that file, but I am not sure that it will
> help.

I think I might have a suspicion as to what is going on, but not sure how to
address it.

When I am on the computer that SBBS is installed on and open web browser, and
go to http://localhost, I see what I expcect to see. I think login, and
everything is working, even the blue bubbles under mail, letting me know I have
new mail.

The difference between http://localhost and http://tfbbs.d2g.com, well
tfbbs.d2g.com is going thru a apache proxy / reverse proxy, the site
tempestfury.d2g.com is on a different server than SBBS, and I use the proxy to
get to SBBS

Is there any special settings that need to be set if using a proxy ?

if not, I guess I can try a different port other that 80. Will have to test a
few things out.

From: echicken (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Thu, 08.04.21 16:40
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
Re: Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
By: JohnBWilloughby to echicken on Thu Apr 08 2021 07:20:29

>> There's something wrong with your webv4/root/api/events.ssjs, but I
>> can't be sure what. I just made a change to that file, but I am not
>> sure that it will help.

Just so I know what stage we're at, do you now have the latest version of this
file?

Jo> When I am on the computer that SBBS is installed on and open web browser,
Jo> and go to http://localhost, I see what I expcect to see. I think login,
Jo> and everything is working, even the blue bubbles under mail, letting me
Jo> know I have new mail.

How about Who's Online - does that work as well?

Jo> The difference between http://localhost and http://tfbbs.d2g.com, well
Jo> tfbbs.d2g.com is going thru a apache proxy / reverse proxy, the site

If Who's Online works when you view http://localhost, then it indicates that
your reverse proxy is interfering with webv4's HTTP EventSource. It's possible
that the latest version of events.ssjs will resolve this. It's possible that
you need to change a setting in Apache.

Jo> Is there any special settings that need to be set if using a proxy ?

Maybe. It'll depend on whether anything's still not working after an update.

---

From: JohnBWilloughby (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Thu, 08.04.21 11:02
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
> Re: Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
> By: JohnBWilloughby to echicken on Thu Apr 08 2021 07:20:29

> Just so I know what stage we're at, do you now have the latest version of
> this file?

The file I have is dated 9/7/2020.

> How about Who's Online - does that work as well?

> If Who's Online works when you view http://localhost, then it indicates that
> your reverse proxy is interfering with webv4's HTTP EventSource. It's
> possible that the latest version of events.ssjs will resolve this. It's
> possible that you need to change a setting in Apache.

Where can I get a recet copy of the events.ssjs ? Can I grab it from GIT ?

I pointed port 80 to the computer running SBBS, and the Who's Online is working
as it should. And the bubbles are there as well.

so I am not sure what setting would need to be changed in Apache. Will have to
do some research.

From: JohnBWilloughby (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Thu, 08.04.21 11:16
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
> Re: Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
> By: JohnBWilloughby to echicken on Thu Apr 08 2021 07:20:29

> Just so I know what stage we're at, do you now have the latest version of
> this file?

I just went to GIT and grabbed the events.ssjs and replaced it in the
webv4/root/api, I change port 80 back to the main site so sbbs is again being
proxied.

I am using a computer that is VPN to some place in the netherlands, and
connecting to http://ftbbs.d2g.com The Who's Online is working ... YAY!!!
one minor thing - is shows new email, I go and read the email, respond to the
email, when I am back at the main page, it still shows that I have new email.

From: MRO (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Thu, 08.04.21 13:38
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
Re: Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
By: JohnBWilloughby to echicken on Thu Apr 08 2021 09:02 am

> > Re: Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
> > By: JohnBWilloughby to echicken on Thu Apr 08 2021 07:20:29
>
> > Just so I know what stage we're at, do you now have the latest version of
> > this file?
>
> The file I have is dated 9/7/2020.

hey. word from the wise here.

always backup before upgrading or making changes.
---

* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)

From: echicken (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Thu, 08.04.21 19:20
Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
Re: Re: 3.17 to 3.18 upgrade
By: JohnBWilloughby to echicken on Thu Apr 08 2021 09:02:58

Jo> Where can I get a recet copy of the events.ssjs ? Can I grab it from GIT ?

Yes, the newest version is in git.

Jo> The file I have is dated 9/7/2020.

I changed webv4/root/api/events.ssjs yesterday, so your copy is out of date.

Jo> so I am not sure what setting would need to be changed in Apache. Will
Jo> have to do some research.

If updating events.ssjs doesn't help (it might), you'll need to find out what
needs to be done to allow Server-Sent Events through an Apache reverse proxy.

Something about your Apache setup is altering the Content-Type response header
when the client requests this file; it's meant to be "text/event-stream" but is
instead being sent as "text/html". I have no real experience using Apache as a
reverse proxy, so I can't say more than that.

---