Fidonet Portal

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: All
Date: Wed, 07.04.21 13:00
ES Picture of the Day 07 2021
EPOD - a service of USRA

The Earth Science Picture of the Day (EPOD) highlights the diverse processes
and phenomena which shape our planet and our lives. EPOD will collect and
archive photos, imagery, graphics, and artwork with short explanatory
captions and links exemplifying features within the Earth system. The
community is invited to contribute digital imagery, short captions and
relevant links.

Cloud-to-Ground Lightning over Noida Extension, India

April 07, 2021

Swords-of-Light

IMG_20210216_163105

Photographers: Vishal Sharma (top); Rosario Catania (bottom)
Summary Authors: Vishal Sharma; Rosario Catania

The photo above (at top) shows an attention-getting cloud-to-ground
lightning strike as observed on April 4, 2020, from the balcony of my
home (I live on the 14th floor) overlooking the city of Noida
Extension, India. Luckily, I snapped this shot just as these bolts
flashed from the sky. Note that the primary bolt, hitting the tower
of a power plant, was powerful enough to light up much of its parent
cumulonimbus cloud. Discharge from a strike like this one may
approach 100 million volts. The bottom photo was captured during a
storm in San Giovanni La Punta (Sicily), Italy.

Photo Details: Nikon D7100 camera; 50.0mm focal length; f/16; 11.5
seconds exposure; ISO 100; Adobe Photoshop 2020 Windows.
* Noida Extension, India Coordinates: 28.5324, 77.4052

Related EPODs

Cloud-to-Ground Lightning over Noida Extension, India
Overshooting Storm Top Archive - Satellite Snow Loop
Thunderstorm on the Mediterranean Sea Red Sprites and GHOST
Archive - Southern California Wildfires
More...

Severe Weather Links

* World Severe Weather Information Center
* Enhanced Fujita Scale
* A Lightning Primer
* More About Thunderstorms
* Staying Safe Outdoors in Severe Weather
* NOAA Storm Prediction Center
* Patterns of Lightning Activity
* US National Weather Service

-
Earth Science Picture of the Day is a service of the Universities
Space Research Association.

https://epod.usra.edu

--- up 1 week, 5 days, 22 hours, 10 minutes
* Origin: -=> Castle Rock BBS <=- Now Husky HPT Powered! (1:317/3)