Fidonet Portal

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: All
Date: Thu, 18.03.21 12:00
ES Picture of the Day 18 2021
EPOD - a service of USRA

The Earth Science Picture of the Day (EPOD) highlights the diverse processes
and phenomena which shape our planet and our lives. EPOD will collect and
archive photos, imagery, graphics, and artwork with short explanatory
captions and links exemplifying features within the Earth system. The
community is invited to contribute digital imagery, short captions and
relevant links.

Newspaper Rock State Historical Monument, Utah

March 18, 2021

Newspaper Rock main panel

Photographer: Rick Stankiewicz
Summary Author: Rick Stankiewicz

The U.S. Southwest is full of interesting geological formations and
history. Tracking down traces of human history in the landscape can be
equally interesting and rewarding. Such was the case when I was touring
through southern Utah a few years ago. I had read of a location In San
Juan County, along Hwy-211, 12 miles (8 km) west of US-191, north of
the Abajo Mountains called Newspaper Rock State Historical
Monument (not to be confused with Newspaper Rock at the
Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona). This site is easily
accessible by car and a short walk from a parking lot. It's aptly named
for the hundreds of petroglyphs carved into the black desert
varnished Wingate Sandstone face. This darkened surface coloration
is caused by high levels of manganese. Other terms for this feature
are rock rust or desert patina.

There are several smaller side panels but the main panel, one of the
most densely populated rock faces I have ever seen, is protected and
well preserved by a small lintel. Images include a myriad of abstract
designs along with human figures (some riding horses), wildlife such as
buffalo, bighorn sheep, mule deer and many six-toed foot
(or paw) prints. Some sources estimate this site to be used for
over 2,000 years, from the Archaic to Pueblo Cultures.
Recent images include horse-mounted riders hunting with bows and
arrows. It is thought that ceremonies may have been performed here or
perhaps it was a place for marking events and passages through the
region. What can you find of interest in this edition of the newspaper?
Photo taken October 8, 2013.

Photo Details: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi, f/5.6, 1/60, 10mm
* Newspaper Rock State Historical Monument, Utah Coordinates:
37.9883, -109.51817

Related EPODs

Newspaper Rock State Historical Monument, Utah Archive - Prayer
Rock Petroglyphs The Huntington Mammoth Necropolis of Pantalica
Mayan Observatory Archive - 60 Years Ago Today on Bikini Atoll
More...

History Links

* Paleoclimatology Data
* USGS: Age of the Earth
* What is Geologic Time?
* GSA Geologic Time Scale
* Earth Facts
* Earth History Courses

-
Earth Science Picture of the Day is a service of the Universities
Space Research Association.

https://epod.usra.edu

--- up 13 weeks, 1 day, 20 hours, 27 minutes
* Origin: -=> Castle Rock BBS <=- Now Husky HPT Powered! (1:317/3)