Fidonet Portal

From: Jeff Smith (1:14/5)
To: All
Date: Sat, 20.02.21 05:48
Authorization Failure?
Hello everybody!

In trying to connect to a Synchronet system using BinkIT as a mailer.
I keep getting the following error when trying to connect:

+ 02.19.2021 21:05:34 1-RB Socket read status 113
+ 02.19.2021 21:05:34 1-RB Socket read result 113
+ 02.19.2021 21:05:34 1-Connection lost
+ 02.19.2021 21:05:34 1-Authorization failed
+ 02.19.2021 21:05:35 Polled 1 systems

We have an agreed upon session password in use. This is a Mystic to
BinkIT connection being attempted. As I recall this has to do with the
authorization process. In the testing process I have tried polling with
the session password installed and again with the session password
removed and I get the exact same poll log entry. Any thoughts on where
the problem might be?

Jeff

--- Mystic v1.12 A47/LNX (2020/12/04) GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20170303
* Origin: Region 14 IP Server - ftn.region14.org (1:14/5)

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Sun, 21.02.21 19:01
Re: Authorization Failure?
JS> + 02.19.2021 21:05:34 1-RB Socket read status 113
JS> + 02.19.2021 21:05:34 1-Connection lost
JS> + 02.19.2021 21:05:34 1-Authorization failed

If you Google read status 113 you get this:

The problem is triggered by the EHOSTUNREACH error (113) while reading the data
from the socket. Normally, the EHOSTUNREACH error is given when writing to a
socket, however, for some reason, LINUX socket implementation returns that
error when reading from the socket under some unknown conditions. Since we
don't how to handle such error (i.e.retry later or close the socket), it was
returned as an 'unknown' network error.

In translation, it sounds like something that could be firewall related?

* Origin: Sector 7 | Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: Jeff Smith (1:282/1031)
To: All
Date: Sun, 21.02.21 23:32
Re: Authorization Failure?
Hello g00r00,

>> + 02.19.2021 21:05:34 1-RB Socket read status 113
>> + 02.19.2021 21:05:34 1-Connection lost
>> + 02.19.2021 21:05:34 1-Authorization failed

> If you Google read status 113 you get this:
> The problem is triggered by the EHOSTUNREACH error (113) while reading the
dat
> from the socket. Normally, the EHOSTUNREACH error is given when writing to a
> socket, however, for some reason, LINUX socket implementation returns that
> error when reading from the socket under some unknown conditions. Since we
> don't how to handle such error (i.e.retry later or close the socket), it was
> returned as an 'unknown' network error.
> In translation, it sounds like something that could be firewall related?

That was my understanding also and I had already relayed that information and
made the suggestion that his firewall or router may need checking. Also since I
can ping his FQDN ok. But both his BinkP and telnet ports are closed to
incoming connections.

Jeff

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-5
* Origin: Fidonet: The Ouija Board - Anoka, MN - bbs.ouijabrd.net (1:282/1031)