Fidonet Portal

From: August Abolins (1:153/757.21)
To: All
Date: Fri, 22.01.21 10:40
deaf and dumb
Yesterday I got a flashback to the past when a deaf/dumb fellow
walked into my shop. I didn't think the deaf/dumb tactic was a
thing anymore.

My shop is partially dark, (reduced overhead lighting during
lockdown) and cold (reduced heating). I thought it was unusual
that someone wouldn't respond to my "Hello". He just comes up
to the check-out counter and proceeds to pull out 3 different ID
cards and lay them out. They looked rather worn from being
stored in a pocket. I did not look very closely, but one of
them had the words "deaf", "hearing", "please", "give".

I didn't look any closer for more details. I just said "I don't
have time for this." Meanwhile, while standing in front of me,
the fellow looks around the store. He made no attempt at eye-
contact. There was no attempt to even communicate and
appreciate my time or consideration. This is why I thought this
was a pathetic performance and possibly a scam.

The last time this sort of thing happend was over 8 years ago. A
couple of singers with their guitars came into my shop,
accompanying an apparrently a deaf girl. The premise was that my
dollars would help pay for her livelyhood, or act as a tip for
their wonderful unsolicited music, or something. At first I
thought that maybe someone was delivering a singing telegram.
But the request to pay for the performance combined with the
begging really pissed me off more than anything.

At times like this I wish I could brandish my Crocadile Dundee
"you call that a knife?" machette, or call "Tiny", my doberman
with a spiked collar, to escort these types out the door.

--- OpenXP 5.0.48
* Origin: Mobile? Join CHAT here: https://tinyurl.com/y5k7tsla (1:153/757.21)

From: Charles Pierson (1:106/127)
To: All
Date: Fri, 22.01.21 10:22
Re: deaf and dumb
On 22 Jan 2021, August Abolins said the following...
AA> My shop is partially dark, (reduced overhead lighting during
AA> lockdown) and cold (reduced heating). I thought it was unusual

So is this a part of the lockdown requirements or cost saving measures?

Not to take away from the overall tale, but I'm curious.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
* Origin: theoasisbbs.ddns.net:1357 (1:106/127)

From: Charles Pierson (1:106/127)
To: All
Date: Fri, 22.01.21 10:32
Re: deaf and dumb
On 22 Jan 2021, August Abolins said the following...
AA> Yesterday I got a flashback to the past when a deaf/dumb fellow
AA> walked into my shop. I didn't think the deaf/dumb tactic was a
AA> thing anymore.

Anything and everything can be used as a tactic. Beyond the dozens of
Homeless Veterans I see on the corners, a new 'favorite' of mine are these
Gentlemen with signs saying "Too Honest to Steal, Too Ugly to be a Gigalo."
AA> The last time this sort of thing happend was over 8 years ago. A
AA> couple of singers with their guitars came into my shop,
AA> accompanying an apparrently a deaf girl. The premise was that my
AA> dollars would help pay for her livelyhood, or act as a tip for
AA> their wonderful unsolicited music, or something. At first I
AA> thought that maybe someone was delivering a singing telegram.
AA> But the request to pay for the performance combined with the
AA> begging really pissed me off more than anything.

Don't you have legal options to handle unwelcomed solucitations in your
establishment?

AA> At times like this I wish I could brandish my Crocadile Dundee
AA> "you call that a knife?" machette, or call "Tiny", my doberman
AA> with a spiked collar, to escort these types out the door.

Actually, Dundee's knifecwas more like a Bowie knife.

I could see not having a d9g in a bookstore, but some means of self defense
should be aporoprriate.

From: August Abolins (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Sat, 23.01.21 09:53
Re: deaf and dumb
> AA> My shop is partially dark, (reduced overhead lighting during
> AA> lockdown) and cold (reduced heating). I thought it was unusual

> So is this a part of the lockdown requirements or cost saving measures?

> Not to take away from the overall tale, but I'm curious.

It's the latter. No point lighting and heating when there is nary the traffic
to justify it. If the lights are low, and if the motors for the furnace don't
need to kick in, that's abut $100/mo that I don't have to borrow. I operate
reduced hours too: 11a-3p.

Looks like there won't be any change in the lockdown regulations either. Today
was supposed to be the last day of the initial imposition affecting businesses.
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux

From: August Abolins (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Sat, 23.01.21 10:36
Re: deaf and dumb
> Anything and everything can be used as a tactic. Beyond the dozens of
> Homeless Veterans I see on the corners, a new 'favorite' of mine are these
> Gentlemen with signs saying "Too Honest to Steal, Too Ugly to be a Gigalo."

Heck, if that deaf/dumb fellow offered to wash the windows or vacuum for a few
minutes, I wouldn't hesitate to "gift" $25 bucks. But there was no
eye-contact, and no attempt to even try to speak.

> AA> The last time this sort of thing happend was over 8 years ago. A
> AA> couple of singers with their guitars came into my shop,

> Don't you have legal options to handle unwelcomed solucitations in your
> establishment?

What is there? I can call the police, but the people would be gone by then.
All I can do is offer my natural scowl and indicate that I am not the right
person to mess with.

People can overhear my telephone conversations with merchant-services and loans
companies. I tell it like is and say "Unless you'd like to order something
from *my* business, I don't have time for this - and don't call me back."

I still get the odd "Please do not hang up. We've tried calling you numerous
times to inform you that your google listing is in DANGER.."

Pathetic. There ought to be a way to block those things permanently. Or.. if I
had the resources, I'd love to switch those calls to another line (to free up
the one that they've hijacked) and blast some static/hum/buzz or something.

> AA> At times like this I wish I could brandish my Crocadile Dundee
> AA> "you call that a knife?" machette, or call "Tiny", my doberman
> AA> with a spiked collar, to escort these types out the door.

> Actually, Dundee's knifecwas more like a Bowie knife.

Ah... but I said that my version was a machete! ;) It's more impressive than
the Bowie knife. I even have a scythe that I could probably use and swing as I
approach the trespassers to the door. <g>

> I could see not having a d9g in a bookstore, but some means of self defense
> should be aporoprriate.

The dog wouldn't be too hard. With the right command, the animal could block
the door and keep the intruder at bay. But I like the idea of some kind of
mechanical way to entrap troublemakers and keep them escaping before
authorities arrive.

Or.. I need to bulk up with weight-lifting and wear a ninja bandana to clearly
show that I am not to be messed with.
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux

From: Charles Pierson (1:153/757.26)
To: All
Date: Sun, 24.01.21 09:44
Re: deaf and dumb
Hello, August Abolins.
On 1/23/21 9:36 AM you wrote:

??>> Anything and everything can be used as a tactic. Beyond the
??>> dozens of Homeless Veterans I see on the corners, a new
??>> 'favorite' of mine are these Gentlemen with signs saying "Too
??>> Honest to Steal, Too Ugly to be a Gigalo."
AA> Heck, if that deaf/dumb fellow offered to wash the windows or
AA> vacuum for a few minutes, I wouldn't hesitate to "gift" $25 bucks.
AA> But there was no eye-contact, and no attempt to even try to speak.

Well that would require he do actual work, which is what the scam is an attempt
to avoid.

??>> AA> The last time this sort of thing happend was over 8 years
??>> ago. A AA> couple of singers with their guitars came into my
??>> shop, Don't you have legal options to handle unwelcomed
??>> solucitations in your establishment?
AA> What is there? I can call the police, but the people would be gone
AA> by then. All I can do is offer my natural scowl and indicate that
AA> I am not the right person to mess with.

That's very likely the case, but seeing that you are willing to involve the
police is a deterrent of sorts in and of itself.

AA> People can overhear my telephone conversations with
AA> merchant-services and loans companies. I tell it like is and say
AA> "Unless you'd like to order something from *my* business, I don't
AA> have time for this - and don't call me back." I still get the odd
AA> "Please do not hang up. We've tried calling you numerous times to
AA> inform you that your google listing is in DANGER.."

Yeah, those calls never end.

AA> Pathetic. There ought to be a way to block those things
AA> permanently. Or.. if I had the resources, I'd love to switch those
AA> calls to another line (to free up the one that they've hijacked)
AA> and blast some static/hum/buzz or something.

The US has a "Do not call" registry, but with the ability to spoof numbers,
etc, it's pretty useless.

??>> AA> At times like this I wish I could brandish my Crocadile
??>> Dundee AA> "you call that a knife?" machette, or call "Tiny",
??>> my doberman AA> with a spiked collar, to escort these types
??>> out the door. Actually, Dundee's knifecwas more like a Bowie
??>> knife.
AA> Ah... but I said that my version was a machete! ;) It's more
AA> impressive than the Bowie knife. I even have a scythe that I
AA> could probably use and swing as I approach the trespassers to the
AA> door. <g>

It would definitely have an affect.

??>> I could see not having a d9g in a bookstore, but some means of
??>> self defense should be aporoprriate.
AA> The dog wouldn't be too hard. With the right command, the animal
AA> could block the door and keep the intruder at bay. But I like the
AA> idea of some kind of mechanical way to entrap troublemakers and
AA> keep them escaping before authorities arrive.

Invest in remote activated locks? Better one than what they used in that video
clip you shared a while back, of course.

AA> Or.. I need to bulk up with weight-lifting and wear a ninja
AA> bandana to clearly show that I am not to be messed with.

That wouldn't work in my case. I'll always be tall and lanky, though I am
developing a bit of gut.

--
Best regards!
Posted using Hotdoged on Android

From: Charles Pierson (1:106/127)
To: All
Date: Tue, 26.01.21 10:08
Re: deaf and dumb
On 26 Jan 2021, August Abolins said the following...
AA> CP> Well that would require he do actual work, which is what
AA> CP> the scam is an attempt to avoid.
AA>
AA> Heheh. True! I wasn't in a give-a-life-lesson mood, so I just
AA> scowled. Thankfully he turned around and walked out a few
AA> seconds later - but he gave no indication of anything that
AA> resembled "thank you for your time". But like I said earlier,
AA> just before he left, he took a quick look around the place - as
AA> if to see what might be worth stealing. Since I can't just grab
AA> a pile of my book stock and trade that for food, drugs or booze,
AA> he probably realized the same thing.

Much to my wife's displeasure, I'm sure, I'd likely be willing to operate on
a barter system if books for food.

AA> CP> That's very likely the case, but seeing that you are
AA> CP> willing to involve the police is a deterrent of sorts in
AA> CP> and of itself.
AA> I am not necessarily willing per se. I would not be comfortable
AA> to involve the police. I have the local police emergency number
AA> plastered on my cash register so it's nice and handy. But it has
AA> not been necessary for all the years that I've operated.

Why is that? I mean your not being comfortable with involving the poluce?
AA> CP> The US has a "Do not call" registry, but with the ability
AA> CP> to spoof numbers, etc, it's pretty useless.
AA>
AA> The phone companies claim that spoofing is necessary to support
AA> the callfowarding and re-direction features they sell.

I highly doubt that. More lijely they just don't want to spend more money on
a bit of additional code to fix the problem.

So now you have the problem of people calling back those spoofed numbers to
complain instead giving some sweet old lady an earful.

AA> CP> Invest in remote activated locks? Better one than what
AA> CP> they used in that video clip you shared a while back, of
AA> CP> course.
AA>
AA> Along those same lines, I've looked into a basic automatic door
AA> opener (to help open the door from remote when people with
AA> walkers or wheelchairs can get in and out easier) But the
AA> starting cost was close to $3K. For now, I just whip around the
AA> counter and hold the door open.
AA>
AA> Some kind of automated way to lock the door upon pressing a
AA> panic button would be cool.

That second option is what I was refering to.

AA> I think people respect (or fear) people who are fit, poised, and
AA> limber more than those that are not.

Probably, Although at 6.5 feet tall or so, I have been told I tend to look
intimidating even though I am thin.

From: Charles Pierson (1:106/127)
To: All
Date: Tue, 26.01.21 10:10
Re: deaf and dumb
On 26 Jan 2021, August Abolins said the following...
AA> CP> Invest in remote activated locks? Better one than what
AA> CP> they used in that video clip you shared a while back, of
AA> CP> course.
AA>
AA> Which video clip was that? I don't remember.

The "Black Books" or whatever it's called program. About the bookstore. It
may have been on a different epusode than the one you shared.

From: Charles Pierson (1:106/127)
To: All
Date: Wed, 27.01.21 09:45
Re: deaf and dumb
On 26 Jan 2021, August Abolins said the following...
AA> What I find disconcerting is that the gov't taxes me on stock as
AA> if it has value, yet I can't use that stock and buy anything
AA> with it. :/

I'm well aware of the fun with inventory taxes. I worked in a large
international company at one of the manufacturing facilities. At one point,
my job was basically a data analyst taked with analyzing inventory to improve
delivery times for customer orders. We opened a new facility on Singapore to
manifacture the same items we did to improve support Asia and Australia.

For about 2 years, we had to order material for both locations while yhe
located and qualified local suppliers to meet our specifications for things.

This resultedd in our loccation holding huge amounts of inventory, and me, a
non manager arguing with managers of several departments on 2 continents
about which location wound up with what material come inventory tax time.
Considering the 13 hour time difference betwern Singapore and Houston, I
didn't sleep much.