Fidonet Portal

From: baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 07.02.20 07:01
Qt and Falkon
From: "baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com" <baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com>

I just read the other day that Bitwise has succeeded
in porting a recent Qt engine to OS/2 which should
allow porting the Falkon browser over.

I thought I would check Falkon out on Win10, and I
was very impressed, as my expectations were minimal.
The stability hammers M$ Edge/Explore and Firefox.
This is exactly what the OS/2 community needs. I hope
there will be sustained maintenance for the browser, so
we need not worry about its continuity.

Does anyone know what the release time frame for a
useable Falkon on OS/2 will be? I will have no problem
donating substantially to the cause, as this is
essential to OS/2's continued existence.

thanks,
Baden

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 07.02.20 10:05
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

On 02/07/20 09:01 PM, baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com wrote:
> Does anyone know what the release time frame for a
> useable Falkon on OS/2 will be? I will have no problem
> donating substantially to the cause, as this is
> essential to OS/2's continued existence.

They were hoping that it would already be released but it turned out
that our GCC 4.92 was too old to compile the webkit part of QT5 so they
got side tracked with porting GCC 9.2. This is close to done and once
done shouldn't take to long for the first builds.
Latest news at
http://articles.os2voice.org/category/software/25-voice-bitwise-works-new-browse
r-update-10.html
Dave

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 07.02.20 17:21
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: "baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com" <baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com>

On Saturday, 8 February 2020 02:05:54 UTC-6, Dave Yeo wrote:
> On 02/07/20 09:01 PM, baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com wrote:
> > Does anyone know what the release time frame for a
> > useable Falkon on OS/2 will be? I will have no problem
> > donating substantially to the cause, as this is
> > essential to OS/2's continued existence.
>
> They were hoping that it would already be released but it turned out
> that our GCC 4.92 was too old to compile the webkit part of QT5 so they
> got side tracked with porting GCC 9.2. This is close to done and once
> done shouldn't take to long for the first builds.
> Latest news at

http://articles.os2voice.org/category/software/25-voice-bitwise-works-new-browse
r-update-10.html
> Dave

Hi Dave:

I was assuming the port was completed:
https://www.os2world.com/cms/index.php/past-news/80-news/software/22725-gcc-9-2-
released-new-milestone-for-os-2-development

Baden
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Paul Smedley (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 16.02.20 23:27
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: Paul Smedley <paul@smedley.id.au>

On 8/2/20 6:35 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:
> On 02/07/20 09:01 PM, baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com wrote:
>>    Does anyone know what the release time frame for a
>> useable Falkon on OS/2 will be?  I will have no problem
>> donating substantially to the cause, as this is
>> essential to OS/2's continued existence.
>
> They were hoping that it would already be released but it turned out
> that our GCC 4.92 was too old to compile the webkit part of QT5 so they
> got side tracked with porting GCC 9.2. This is close to done and once
> done shouldn't take to long for the first builds.
> Latest news at

http://articles.os2voice.org/category/software/25-voice-bitwise-works-new-browse
r-update-10.html

Given I gave Dmitry the latest diffs for GCC 9.2.0 it shouldn't have
been too big a distraction!

Cheers,

Paul
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: warpos2@gmail.com (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Wed, 01.04.20 23:40
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: warpos2@gmail.com

On Friday, February 7, 2020 at 10:01:12 PM UTC-7, baden.k...@gmail.com wrote:
> Does anyone know what the release time frame for a
> useable Falkon on OS/2 will be? I will have no problem
> donating substantially to the cause, as this is
> essential to OS/2's continued existence.

Seems to be a couple to 6 mo off per VOICE. Donations accepted to get it paid
for.
Matt W.
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 03.04.20 22:57
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: "baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com" <baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com>

On Thursday, 2 April 2020 13:40:22 UTC-6, war...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, February 7, 2020 at 10:01:12 PM UTC-7, baden.k...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Does anyone know what the release time frame for a
> > useable Falkon on OS/2 will be? I will have no problem
> > donating substantially to the cause, as this is
> > essential to OS/2's continued existence.
>
> Seems to be a couple to 6 mo off per VOICE. Donations accepted to get it
paid for.
> Matt W.

Does anyone know if there is a schedule and budget for this project?

thanks,
Baden
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Pete (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 04.04.20 19:24
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: Pete <losepete@losepete.plus.com>

Hi baden

baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 April 2020 13:40:22 UTC-6, war...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Friday, February 7, 2020 at 10:01:12 PM UTC-7, baden.k...@gmail.com
wrote:
>>> Does anyone know what the release time frame for a
>>> useable Falkon on OS/2 will be? I will have no problem
>>> donating substantially to the cause, as this is
>>> essential to OS/2's continued existence.
>>
>> Seems to be a couple to 6 mo off per VOICE. Donations accepted to get it
paid for.
>> Matt W.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a schedule and budget for this project?
>
> thanks,
> Baden

I am sure I have seen a budget and timeframe sometime in the past but
cannot find a link to it at the moment...

Have a read of latest os2voice news https://articles.os2voice.org/

Regards

Pete
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: LSoens (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 05.04.20 04:04
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: "LSoens" <nomail@nospam.invalid>

On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 18:57:46 UTC, "baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com"
<baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a schedule and budget for this project?

https://www.bitwiseworks.com/ and scroll down.
The roadmap is qt5 -> new browser. All I know about it's finished when
it's finished Smile Hope sooon.

Regards
Lothar

--
lothar .dot. soens .at. t .minus. online .dot. de

Wegen Unregelm??igkeiten im Betrieb f?hrt die Bahn heute p?nktlich.
Due to irregular service all trains go on schedule today.

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 07.02.20 10:05
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

From: baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 07.02.20 17:21
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: "baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com" <baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com>

From: Paul Smedley (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 16.02.20 23:27
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: Paul Smedley <paul@smedley.id.au>

From: warpos2@gmail.com (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Wed, 01.04.20 23:40
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: warpos2@gmail.com

From: baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 03.04.20 22:57
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: "baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com" <baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com>

From: Pete (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sat, 04.04.20 19:24
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: Pete <losepete@losepete.plus.com>

Hi baden

From: LSoens (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 05.04.20 04:04
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: "LSoens" <nomail@nospam.invalid>

From: baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Thu, 18.06.20 01:37
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: "baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com" <baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com>

On Sunday, 5 April 2020 05:04:39 UTC-5, LSoens wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 18:57:46 UTC, "baden.kudenecky@gmail.com"
> <baden.kudenecky@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if there is a schedule and budget for this project?
> >
> https://www.bitwiseworks.com/ and scroll down.
> The roadmap is qt5 -> new browser. All I know about it's finished when
> it's finished Smile Hope sooon.

I just encountered a discouraging development. I was previously suspicious=
of relying on Falkon, as it even though it is good, it appears to be a one=
man show with limited resources and minimal updates. Relying on it would =
be risky at best.

Today, I went to renew a registration, and none of the browsers on my OS/2 =
(ArcaOS) would work. I then went to the Win10 netbook, and used Falkon to =
process the renewal. I then wanted to mail the completed PDF form using Gm=
ail. But, Gmail would not work on Falkon. I instead used Firefox. I chec=
ked, and the Falkon Win10 version is the latest from over a year ago.

I really think any remaining development interests should seriously reevalu=
ate the browser path and situation in OS/2. An OS without a functional bro=
wser has no viable future.

Baden

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Fri, 19.06.20 10:40
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

On 06/18/20 02:37 PM, baden.kudrenecky@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sunday, 5 April 2020 05:04:39 UTC-5, LSoens wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 18:57:46 UTC, "baden.kudenecky@gmail.com"
>> <baden.kudenecky@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know if there is a schedule and budget for this project?
>>>
>> https://www.bitwiseworks.com/ and scroll down.
>> The roadmap is qt5 -> new browser. All I know about it's finished when
>> it's finished Smile Hope sooon.
>>

> I just encountered a discouraging development. I was previously suspicious
of relying on Falkon, as it even though it is good, it appears to be a one man
show with limited resources and minimal updates. Relying on it would be risky
at best.

> Today, I went to renew a registration, and none of the browsers on my OS/2
(ArcaOS) would work. I then went to the Win10 netbook, and used Falkon to
process the renewal. I then wanted to mail the completed PDF form using Gmail.
But, Gmail would not work on Falkon. I instead used Firefox. I checked, and
the Falkon Win10 version is the latest from over a year ago.

> I really think any remaining development interests should seriously
reevaluate the browser path and situation in OS/2. An OS without a functional
browser has no viable future.

Google was/is blocking Falkon with the claim that it is insecure.
Considering Gmail works with FF45ESR, which likely has its share of
vulnerabilities, it seems like a BS solution.
Unluckily, we have a shortage of developers, so have to take what we
can. What is really going to be a killer is as we move to a 64bit world,
all browsers are getting impossible to port as they just need too much
address space to link.
Dave

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Lars Erdmann (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 21.06.20 05:44
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: Lars Erdmann <lars.erdmann@arcor.de>

Hi Dave,

are you talking about building the browser or running the browser ?

> Google was/is blocking Falkon with the claim that it is insecure.
> Considering Gmail works with FF45ESR, which likely has its share of
> vulnerabilities, it seems like a BS solution.
> Unluckily, we have a shortage of developers, so have to take what we
> can. What is really going to be a killer is as we move to a 64bit world,
> all browsers are getting impossible to port as they just need too much
> address space to link.
> Dave

--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2

From: Dave Yeo (1:396/4)
To: All
Date: Sun, 21.06.20 10:22
Re: Qt and Falkon
From: Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>

On 06/21/20 12:44 AM, Lars Erdmann wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> are you talking about building the browser or running the browser ?

Right now it is linking the browser. To quote dmik,
The link command included 3426 object files and 545 static libraries
(which in total include around 10 000 object files). It took around 6
hours before emxomfld did its work and passed execution to wl.exe which
just hung (causing a cold reboot).
Given that there are 1487454 weak aliases, there must be many million of
symbols that are put in the hash table.
He did optimize emxomfld to bring it down to 5 minutes Smile but wlink is
still crashing.
Even linking Mozilla's xul.dll was taking the full address space here
for a while, without VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=3072, wlink would fail with an
out of memory error. Also with only 1.5 GBs of ram, I discovered our
swap file has a 2GB limit, giving a swap file full error.
Mozilla eventually started concatting cpp files together and
disassembling static libraries, so feeding the linker about 10,000
object files IIRC.
Dave
--- NewsGate v1.0 gamma 2