Fidonet Portal

From: andrew clarke (3:633/267)
To: All
Date: Tue, 13.11.12 07:42
Last minute commits
Those folks with an eye on the CVS mailing list will have noticed a few last
minute commits just now. All very minor, but I thought they were worth doing
for the upcoming 3.3.0 release of MakeNL.

Among other things I've fixed the code to build again with Turbo C++ for DOS
from 1990. I thought I'd have to do this using DOSBox, but I managed to build &
test it in Windows 7 (running in VirtualBox). To my surprise it all ran without
any problem. Credits to Microsoft there for backward compatibility. Very
backward ;-)

Incidentally a few weeks back I did a cross-compile of MakeNL for my Android
phone, just for kicks. No issues there. Consequently MakeNL should run on a
Raspberry Pi device running Linux without any trouble.

I've no idea if the EMX & DJGPP versions will still build. Any problems with
those would be pretty trivial to fix, but of course whether anyone actually
still uses EMX or DJGPP is another thing altogether...

--- GoldED+/BSD 1.1.5-b20110223-b20110223
* Origin: Blizzard of Ozz, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (3:633/267)

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464.112)
To: All
Date: Wed, 14.11.12 15:43
Re: Last minute commits
Hi andrew,

On 14 Nov 12 08:00, andrew clarke wrote to All:
about: "Last minute commits":

ac>> I've no idea if the EMX & DJGPP versions will still build.

ac> I've since fixed the EMX & DJGPP builds, so based on my testing MakeNL
ac> will build and run on:

ac> DOS - using Borland C, DJGPP or Watcom
ac> Windows - using Borland C, Dev-C++, lcc-win32, MSVC or Watcom
ac> OS/2 - using EMX or Watcom
ac> Linux - using GNU C, Clang or Watcom
ac> FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, OS X & Minix - using GNU C or Clang

I've build it for windows using Borland C++ Builder 6. I didn't use any of the
makefiles, I just put the needed .c files into a project, and it build without
a problem...

Wilfred.

--- FMail-W32-1.64-B20111120
* Origin: point@work (2:280/464.112)

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464)
To: All
Date: Fri, 16.11.12 17:44
Re: Last minute commits
Hi,

On 16 Nov 12 00:56, andrew clarke wrote to Wilfred van Velzen:
about: "Last minute commits":

WV>> I've build it for windows using Borland C++ Builder 6. I didn't use
WV>> any of the makefiles, I just put the needed .c files into a project,
WV>> and it build without a problem...

ac> Good to hear. Smile For most of the build targets there is nothing special in
ac> the makefiles.

ac> Despite their age I still use BCB 6 & Delphi 7 for writing Windows
programs
ac> occasionally. It's awesome for quickly building GUI apps and not bad for
ac> debugging text programs either.

BCB6 was/is one of the fastest compilers in the series, and it's much simpler
then the current XE ones, that's why I still prefer it for the smaller and text
projects. When I'm doing more complex windows programs I take the latest
Embarcadero version...

I've never used Delphi.

ac> (For text apps, to stop the console window from immediately closing
ac> when the program exits I call atexit(Wink and point it to a function that
ac> calls getchar(Wink. Also useful for other IDEs.Wink

I do something similar, I put:

#ifdef _DEBUG
printf("\n[Press any key to continue]\n");
getch();
#endif

At the end of main(Wink ...

Bye, Wilfred.

--- FMail-W32-1.64-B20111120
* Origin: Amiga Offline BBS Lisse (2:280/464)