Fidonet Portal

From: Matt Munson (1:218/109)
To: All
Date: Sat, 17.10.20 12:32
Android QWK readers.
It would be cool if there was a SyncTerm/Multimail suite for android tablets.

--- WWIV 5.6.0.3284
* Origin: Inland Utopia BBS * iutopia.duckdns.org:2023 (1:218/109)

From: Matt Munson (1:218/109)
To: All
Date: Tue, 20.10.20 19:33
Re: Android QWK readers.
BY: Charles Pierson(2:221/6.21)

CP> There are a few BBS related programs that were written in Java. Those
CP> could be reworked I believe.
CP>
CP> Not QWK readers, that I've seen so far. But the potential is there.
That is why I was thinking about going with a macbook air so i can run bbs user
stuff.

From: Charles Pierson (1:229/426.67)
To: All
Date: Wed, 21.10.20 08:29
Re: Android QWK readers.
Hello, Matt Munson.
On 10/20/20 5:33 PM you wrote:

CP>> There are a few BBS related programs that were written in Java.
CP>> Those could be reworked I believe. Not QWK readers, that I've
CP>> seen so far. But the potential is there.
MM> That is why I was thinking about going with a macbook air so i can
MM> run bbs user stuff.

If it works for you, go for it. Macs aren't something I know much about, but
it seems like it would work well enough.

--
Best regards!
Posted using Hotdoged on Android

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: All
Date: Fri, 23.10.20 15:32
Re: Android QWK readers.
CP> Most apps are written in java. It is possible to do so in
CP> other programing languages, it's just a bit more
CP> complicated, from what I am learning.

Yes and no. FreePascal has a Java compiler so you can write your program in
Pascal but compiles into Java. I don't know how well it works but might be
something.

CP> And I haven't figured out how to start the YModem-G it's
CP> supposed to have to download a QWK packet.

You tap on fTelnet's "MENU" button and select "Download", IIRC.

I knew Chuck Forsberg way back when (I lived about 20 miles north of him).
He told me on several occasions that Zmodem was not designed to be used over
telnet and to use YModem/YModem-G instead.

CP> That's true. Although, if you start with the code of an
CP> open-source reader, I would think that it would be at least
CP> somewhat easier.

Yes, it would be. I have little interest in such a project as I don't use
my phone for much else besides talking and texting. Maybe someone else will
pick up the mantle from here.

Later,
Sean

___ MultiMail/Linux v0.52

--- Maximus/2 3.01
* Origin: Outpost BBS * bbs.outpostbbs.net:10123 (1:18/200)

From: Sean Dennis (1:18/200)
To: All
Date: Fri, 23.10.20 15:54
Re: Android QWK readers.
MM> That is why I was thinking about going with a macbook air
MM> so i can run bbs user stuff.

A new Chromebook comes with a Linux VM so you could build Qodem and
MultiMail for BBS mail usage easily. I've done that on a new Samsung
Chromebook.

From: Charles Pierson (1:229/426.67)
To: All
Date: Fri, 23.10.20 17:16
Re: Android QWK readers.
Hello, Sean Dennis.
On 10/23/20 1:32 PM you wrote:

CP>> Most apps are written in java. It is possible to do so in other
CP>> programing languages, it's just a bit more complicated, from what
CP>> I am learning.
SD> Yes and no. FreePascal has a Java compiler so you can write your
SD> program in Pascal but compiles into Java. I don't know how well
SD> it works but might be something.

I was reading something about Android Studio you can write in C++ and other
languages with additional NDKs. Might be the same type of thing.

CP>> And I haven't figured out how to start the YModem-G it's supposed
CP>> to have to download a QWK packet.
SD> You tap on fTelnet's "MENU" button and select "Download", IIRC.

I'll have to look again. I can't recall a menu button.

SD> I knew Chuck Forsberg way back when (I lived about 20 miles north
SD> of him). He told me on several occasions that Zmodem was not
SD> designed to be used over telnet and to use YModem/YModem-G
SD> instead.

That's interesting. I've never used YModem before. I'm not sure why.

CP>> That's true. Although, if you start with the code of an
CP>> open-source reader, I would think that it would be at least
CP>> somewhat easier.
SD> Yes, it would be. I have little interest in such a project as I
SD> don't use my phone for much else besides talking and texting.
SD> Maybe someone else will pick up the mantle from here.

I'm considering it. I definitely need to brush up on my programming.

--
Best regards!
Posted using Hotdoged on Android
--- Hotdoged/2.13.5/Android
* Origin: Houston, TX (1:229/426.67)

From: Matt Munson (1:218/109)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.10.20 01:10
Re: Android QWK readers.
BY: Sean Dennis(1:18/200)

SD> I knew Chuck Forsberg way back when (I lived about 20 miles north of
SD> him).
SD> He told me on several occasions that Zmodem was not designed to be used
SD> over
SD> telnet and to use YModem/YModem-G instead.
Has SEXYZ filled the void?

--- WWIV 5.6.0.3288
* Origin: Inland Utopia BBS * iutopia.duckdns.org:2023 (1:218/109)

From: Rob Swindell (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.10.20 21:30
Re: Android QWK readers.
Re: Re: Android QWK readers.
By: Matt Munson to Sean Dennis on Fri Oct 23 2020 11:10 pm

> BY: Sean Dennis(1:18/200)
>

> SD> I knew Chuck Forsberg way back when (I lived about 20 miles north of
> SD> him).
> SD> He told me on several occasions that Zmodem was not designed to be used
> SD> over
> SD> telnet and to use YModem/YModem-G instead.
> Has SEXYZ filled the void?

SEXYZ is a protocol driver, not a new protocol. SEXYZ just implements the
standard X/Y/ZMODEM protocols, no different than DSZ, FDSZ, GSZ, sb/rb, etc.
ZMODEM may not have been designed for use over Telnet, but it works just fine
over Telnet (or Raw TCP, or SSH, or RLogin). Many of ZMODEM's features (error
detection, windowing) are redundant with TCP, but it has some other convenient
features (auto-start, resume) that YMODEM does not have, so its still
preferred.
--
digital man

Sling Blade quote #21:
Karl: Coffee makes me nervous when I drink it. Mmm.

--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)