Fidonet Portal

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: All
Date: Fri, 23.10.20 13:00
ES Picture of the Day 23 2020
EPOD - a service of USRA

The Earth Science Picture of the Day (EPOD) highlights the diverse processes
and phenomena which shape our planet and our lives. EPOD will collect and
archive photos, imagery, graphics, and artwork with short explanatory
captions and links exemplifying features within the Earth system. The
community is invited to contribute digital imagery, short captions and
relevant links.

Great Beauty in Dark Days

October 23, 2020

6a0105371bb32c970b026be414a858200d

Photographer: Menashe Davidson
Summary Authors: Menashe Davidson

"No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and
no culture comparable to that of the garden." - Thomas Jefferson

Gardening, besides being a practical, life-nurturing task, is to me
also always a spiritual activity. I’m fortunate in that I’m able to
maintain a commercial bearing citrus plantation and a home
garden in which ornamentals, vegetables, herbs, are
grown in pots. The photo above, taken on July 30, 2020, in my
home garden in Rishon LeZion, Israel, demonstrates how I add
interest and beauty by mixing flowers with different characteristics.
Flower-packed groups using four different species allows me to obtain
the look I desire.

Ruellia (top left) - a popular perennial ornamental plant, flowers
from midspring through the first cool days of fall, with purple/blue
flowers.
Lily (top center) - herbaceous flowering plant growing from bulbs,
with large prominent flowers, flowering late spring to midsummer.
Hollyhock (top right) - an annual/biennial prominent plant with
very impressive flowers from May through July on stalks that can reach
heights of 9 ft (3 m).
Zinnia (bottom) - most popular to grow in summer months. An annual
plant, grown from seeds, flowering from May to October.
* Rishon LeZion, Israel Coordinates: 31.9730, 34.7925

Related EPODs

Great Beauty in Dark Days Following the Sun Indian Pipe
EPOD 20th - Diatom Wreath EPOD 20th - Fence Eating Tree
EPOD 20th - Giant Puffball
More...

Plant Links

* Discover Life
* Tree Encyclopedia
* What are Phytoplankton?
* Encyclopedia of Life - What is a Plant?
* USDA Plants Database
* University of Texas Native Plant Database
* Plants in Motion
* What Tree is It?

-
Earth Science Picture of the Day is a service of the Universities
Space Research Association.

https://epod.usra.edu

--- up 8 weeks, 3 days, 20 hours, 20 minutes
* Origin: -=> Castle Rock BBS <=- Now Husky HPT Powered! (1:317/3)