Fidonet Portal

From: Ray Sbaitso (1:19/38)
To: All
Date: Sun, 09.09.18 11:02
Best Linux Terminal
Any recommendations for the best terminal to use for connecting to BBSes via
Linux? I've done some searching around and there doesn't seem to be a very
large selection. I'm wondering what others are using.

--- Zeus BBS 1.5
* Origin: CIA AMIGA BBS - ciaamigabbs.dynu.net:6400 (1:19/38.0)

From: Christian Sacks (2:250/5)
To: All
Date: Mon, 10.09.18 19:39
Re: Best Linux Terminal
I use iTerm2 which is like a replacement terminal for my Mac OSX, and when I
use Linux I like Terminator (I think that's what it's called)... which is
also pretty nice.

I think with linux as long as you can get the CP437 character set, you should
be good. If you want to use ZMODEM or the like to download / upload files,
you need to do a little extra work to get that working, but if you use
SyncTerm which is cross platform, it does all of it just perfectly.

.... well that's my two cents worth anyway Smile

Best,
Christian.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A39 2018/04/21 (Linux/64)
* Origin: The Quantum Wormhole, Ramsgate, UK. bbs.erb.pw (2:250/5)

From: Joacim Melin (2:201/120)
To: All
Date: Tue, 11.09.18 09:19
Re: Best Linux Terminal
Syncterm on Mac OS X isn't really up to the same level of quality as the
Windows version. There are bugs, example with copy-paste text, crashes and
sometimes the app just plain hangs and you can't even quit it unless you kill
the process manually.

--- NiKom v2.4.0
* Origin: Delta City (deltacity.se, Vallentuna, Sweden) (2:201/120.0)

From: Christian Sacks (2:250/5)
To: All
Date: Tue, 11.09.18 12:13
Re: Best Linux Terminal
On 09/11/18, Joacim Melin said the following...

JM> Syncterm on Mac OS X isn't really up to the same level of quality as the
JM> Windows version. There are bugs, example with copy-paste text, crashes
JM> and sometimes the app just plain hangs and you can't even quit it unless
JM> you kill the process manually.

Oh that's interesting, the only thing that doesn't work on it for me was
copy-paste, everything else seemed to be fine... that said, I do favor iTerm2
now just because I am often in a terminal window anyhow and it just works.
copy-paste works too Smile

From: Ray Sbaitso (1:19/38)
To: All
Date: Mon, 17.09.18 16:45
Re: Best Linux Terminal
Thanks to everyone for the information. I appreciate it. Some of the
programs I was already aware of and some I was not. Hopefully development
continues for at least one of them on the Linux side.

On Sunday September 09, 2018, Ray Sbaitso said to All...

From: Fernando Toledo (4:902/26)
To: All
Date: Mon, 24.09.18 16:47
Re: Best Linux Terminal
4.9.2
El 11/09/18 a las 04:19, Joacim Melin escribi?:
> Syncterm on Mac OS X isn't really up to the same level of quality as the
> Windows version. There are bugs, example with copy-paste text, crashes and
> sometimes the app just plain hangs and you can't even quit it unless you kill

> the process manually.

Is not Syncterm bugs, just must change your OS.

=)
--- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
* Origin: Dock Sud BBS - http://bbs.docksud.com.ar (4:902/26)

From: john ford (3:770/100)
To: All
Date: Mon, 16.12.19 09:16
Re: Best Linux Terminal
I generally use st ( suckless terminal Wink with tmux( provides me with all the
benefits of tmux, and st doesnt have tabs Wink

* Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (3:770/100)

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Sun, 05.07.20 13:26
Re: Best Linux Terminal
-=> Ray Sbaitso wrote to All <=-

RS> Any recommendations for the best terminal to use for connecting
RS> to BBSes via Linux? I've done some searching around and there
RS> doesn't seem to be a very large selection. I'm wondering what
RS> others are using.

Syncterm or Netrunner.

... Backup not found: (A)bort (R)etry (P)anic
=== MultiMail/Linux v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (1:123/115)