Fidonet Portal

From: JOE MACKEY (1:123/140)
To: All
Date: Mon, 19.10.20 09:31
Re: it's hard surviving..
Daryl wrote --

> If I'm getting fatigued while driving, I look for a fast food place for a
quick snack and soda.

When I took my trips the last couple of years I always liked too stop
somewhere along the way and wander about. Usually every couple of hours or
whenever something caught my fancy.
Small towns were the best since things to see.
At one point in my life I was a hurry to get wherever I was going and not
wanting to stop. If there was something to see I thought "next time".
Now I enjoy stopping since I may not be that way again.
(This is provided I'm not under any time constraint).

> JM> I had that song stuck in my head for a long time.
> JM> Now its back.
> JM> Thanks Daryl...
>
> Always glad to be of service. Smile

You're all heart...
Joe
* Origin: Fido Since 1991 | QWK by Web | BBS.FIDOSYSOP.ORG (1:123/140)

From: Kurt Weiske (1:218/700)
To: All
Date: Mon, 19.10.20 11:27
Re: it's hard surviving..
-=> JOE MACKEY wrote to DARYL STOUT <=-

JM> When I took my trips the last couple of years I always liked too stop
JM> somewhere along the way and wander about. Usually every couple of hours
JM> or whenever something caught my fancy.
JM> Small towns were the best since things to see.

There was an app called "Serendipitor" that was a maps/direction app,
but it picked a roundabout route and listed interesting stops along
the way, like the world's largest hay bale, or the first jail in
California. It was a lot of fun. If I recall, it was an IOS app, I
haven't had an iPhone for 5 years.

... Shut the door and listen from outside
--- MultiMail/XT v0.52
* Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org | tomorrow's retro tech (1:218/700)

From: Mike Powell (1:2320/105)
To: All
Date: Tue, 20.10.20 13:54
Re: it's hard surviving..
> There was an app called "Serendipitor" that was a maps/direction app,
> but it picked a roundabout route and listed interesting stops along
> the way, like the world's largest hay bale, or the first jail in
> California. It was a lot of fun. If I recall, it was an IOS app, I
> haven't had an iPhone for 5 years.

I wonder if it, or another app, would let you pick the particular highway
you want to travel. Like, "I want to travel the roundabout route that keeps
me on US 60 to..." I have tried to fool google maps and mapquest into
doing that by turning the interstates off, but they usually will still try
to pick routes that don't follow the road I want to stay on.

Granted if I want to stay on that route, I just follow the signs and not
any directions, but I would like for those apps to tell me how long the
trip should take. Smile

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * OS/2 VirusScan - "Windows found: Remove it? [Y/y]"
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Tue, 20.10.20 15:05
Re: it's hard surviving..
Joe,

JM> When I took my trips the last couple of years I always liked too stop
JM> somewhere along the way and wander about. Usually every couple of hours
JM> or whenever something caught my fancy.

For me, it's to keep the legs from cramping up...or nature has called at
the most inopportune time.

JM> (This is provided I'm not under any time constraint).

I hope not to be with my vacation next June. The train segments will be
15 hours on 4 of the segments, and only 4 on 2 of them.

> Always glad to be of service. Smile

JM> You're all heart...

Either comedy relief, or a PITA.

Speaking of which, years ago Burger King had a "salad in a pita". I
don't know if any places have an item like that now.

Thought I was going to get down and dirty, didn't you. <eg>

Daryl

... It usually takes weeks to prepare an impromptu speech.
=== MultiMail/Win v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
* Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - tbolt.synchro.net (1:19/33)

From: JOE MACKEY (1:123/140)
To: All
Date: Thu, 22.10.20 09:04
Re: it's hard surviving..
Kurt wrote --

> There was an app called "Serendipitor" that was a maps/direction app,

I would do a Google search "things to see in..." on whatever upcoming
town I was nearing, usually a day or two out. That pulled up several options,
such as what the chamber of commerce page listing attractions as well as
others.
But so often once some town was way back down the road I would learn
later there was something to see that would be interesting to me.

From: JOE MACKEY (1:123/140)
To: All
Date: Thu, 22.10.20 09:10
Re: it's hard surviving..
Daryl wrote --

> I hope not to be with my vacation next June.

I think this year I'm going to explore the great state of WV.
There is so much to see here that I haven't.

> Speaking of which, years ago Burger King had a "salad in a pita". I
> don't know if any places have an item like that now.

I seem to vaguely recall those. Never had one.
A popular thing here is "taco salad in a bag".
You open a personal size bag of Fritos and smash them. Then put in meat,
sauce, lettuce, etc then eat it out of the bag, using a fork. These are
popular at tailgating.

From: JOE MACKEY (1:123/140)
To: All
Date: Thu, 22.10.20 09:23
Re: it's hard surviving..
Mike wrote --

> Granted if I want to stay on that route, I just follow the signs and not
> any directions, but I would like for those apps to tell me how long the
> trip should take. Smile

Same here. But the interstates generally parallel the old roads.
I recall several times on my trip last year I would be RT 66 and just off
to the side was I 40 (?Wink. It was bumper-to-bumper, 80+ mph, full of semi's
and I was the only one on 66, cruising along around 50 mph and enjoying the
ride.
I did like putting in a search "driving time from X to Y" and that would
give a general idea. It followed the interstate and I just added some time,
depending on the distance and terrain. A hour here, an hour there, etc.
Google maps came in handy when I stopped for the night.
I would write on a sheet of paper things like "(RT) X to Y, then
left/right, etc. That way I could quickly glance at the sheet for directions
rather
than looking at a map.
Its almost impossible to find state maps any longer, like they used to
give away in gas stations.
However, once in a while I would have to take an interstate and would
stop at visitors centres and get a map for that state.
The only visitor centre I can recall on an old road was in Arkansas
leaving Louisiana. I was really surprised to find that.
I prefer paper maps, you can lay then out and plan a route a lot easier
than on a screen.

From: Mike Powell (1:2320/105)
To: All
Date: Thu, 22.10.20 20:37
Re: it's hard surviving..
> Same here. But the interstates generally parallel the old roads.
> I recall several times on my trip last year I would be RT 66 and just off
> to the side was I 40 (?Wink. It was bumper-to-bumper, 80+ mph, full of semi's
> and I was the only one on 66, cruising along around 50 mph and enjoying the
> ride.

Depending on where you were, 40 does parallel old 66 through places like
Oklahoma and points West. In other places, like Illinois, I think it is
I-55 or 57.

> I did like putting in a search "driving time from X to Y" and that would
> give a general idea. It followed the interstate and I just added some time,
> depending on the distance and terrain. A hour here, an hour there, etc.

That is how I usually try to do it. I only have real issues when the route
I want to take runs several miles away from the Google-suggested route.

> Google maps came in handy when I stopped for the night.
> I would write on a sheet of paper things like "(RT) X to Y, then
> left/right, etc. That way I could quickly glance at the sheet for directions
> ther
> than looking at a map.
> I prefer paper maps, you can lay then out and plan a route a lot easier
> than on a screen.

I prefer maps, too. Google and Mapquest are sometimes good for zooming
into areas to find surface roads. I use paper maps and internet maps and
usually type out an itenerary that includes the RT X 6 mi, Left on Y type
instructions.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * I wish Noah had swatted those two mosquitoes.....

From: Mike Powell (1:2320/105)
To: All
Date: Thu, 22.10.20 20:42
Re: it's hard surviving..
> I would do a Google search "things to see in..." on whatever upcoming
> town I was nearing, usually a day or two out. That pulled up several
options,
> such as what the chamber of commerce page listing attractions as well as
> others.
> But so often once some town was way back down the road I would learn
> later there was something to see that would be interesting to me.

Trip Advisor has a "things to do" category when you look a city up. That
is where I have found some things I did not know about. There is a travel
wiki, too, but I cannot remember the name right at the moment. It only
includes cities where fellow travelers have written things up, though.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * Save the whales.... Collect the entire set!

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Thu, 22.10.20 19:37
Re: it's hard surviving..
Joe,

JM> I think this year I'm going to explore the great state of WV.
JM> There is so much to see here that I haven't.

You haven't what?? Looks like you haven't seen that typo, either. <g,d,r>

> Speaking of which, years ago Burger King had a "salad in a pita". I
> don't know if any places have an item like that now.

JM> I seem to vaguely recall those. Never had one.

At times, the breading with it was rather dry.

JM> A popular thing here is "taco salad in a bag".

I'm not one for Mexican food.

I trashed my brother out earlier today. He said that their large dinner
plate of spaghetti and meatballs with meat sauce, is 3 meals for him. So,
I ordered an appetizer of 8 garlic cheese sticks, then two slices of Texas
Toast, and that huge plate of spaghetti...and devoured all of it, plus a
slice of lemon icebox pie for good measure, and washed it all down with
2 glasses of sweet tea.

After calling me "Dumpster Daryl" for putting all those groceries
away, he paid me $10...to which I gave to our waitress as a tip. He
said "If you order and eat a meatball sub, I'll give you an additional
$5 -- I said I wanted $100". <G>

The place is Grady's Pizza And Subs, and I think they're just in
central Arkansas. Regardless, I was satisfied, and not overly stuffed.
But, I won't need anything else to eat until lunch tomorrow.

Now, please excuse me, while I let out a horrific belch...like we'd
do when we drank a whole 12 ounce bottle of Dr. Pepper. <G>

Daryl

... Dinner is done when the smoke alarm sounds.

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Thu, 22.10.20 20:12
Re: it's hard surviving..
Joe,

JM> I recall several times on my trip last year I would be RT 66 and just
JM> off to the side was I 40 (?Wink. It was bumper-to-bumper, 80+ mph, full
JM> of semi's and I was the only one on 66, cruising along around 50 mph
JM> and enjoying the ride.

Portions of US 70 in central Arkansas, especially between Little Rock and
Memphis, run south of Interstate 40...and were also just south of the former
Rock Island railroad. Union Pacific still uses the segment between Brinkley,
Arkansas and Memphis, Tennessee...but the segment from Galloway (just east
of North Little Rock) to Brinkley is gone. Some small towns still have the
depots, and a small section of track...but the rest has been converted to
trails, or is gone altogether. The depots have been repurposed for places
like the local Chamber of Commerce (Lonoke) to an insurance business (Hazen).

In the Little Rock area, just west of Central High School (where the 1957
desegregation crisis was), the former Rock Island line now heads toward the
former Missouri Pacific line southwest of Little Rock National Airport...
going through the former Biddle Yard. The MP line now heads toward Pine
Bluff...where it meets the former Cotton Belt line from St. Louis and
Jonesboro to the northeast...then Tyler, Texarkana, and Camden, to the
southwest.

Also, the former Rock Island northwest of Little Rock is now owned by a
shortline railroad, running through Perry to Danville. West of Danville, to
the Oklahoma line, the tracks were taken up long ago. A lonely grade crossing
signal at Belleville stands guard "for trains that will never pass that way
again".

JM> Its almost impossible to find state maps any longer, like they used
JM> to give away in gas stations.

I'm not sure if you can order them through the state highway departments
anymore.

JM> The only visitor centre I can recall on an old road was in Arkansas
JM> leaving Louisiana. I was really surprised to find that.

Not a whole lot of "welcome centers" or "rest areas" exist anymore.

JM> I prefer paper maps, you can lay then out and plan a route a lot
JM> easier than on a screen.

I prefer to let someone else do the driving.

Daryl

... An intelligent snake is a smart asp.

From: JOE MACKEY (1:123/140)
To: All
Date: Fri, 30.10.20 07:51
Re: it's hard surviving..
Daryl wrote --

> JM> I think this year I'm going to explore the great state of WV.
> JM> There is so much to see here that I haven't.
>
> You haven't what?? Looks like you haven't seen that typo, either. <g,d,r>

Haven't seen. Smile
And so many of the places it was drive by and look and visit "later".

> I trashed my brother out earlier today. He said that their large dinner
plate of spaghetti and meatballs with meat sauce, is 3 meals for him.

I got stuffed just reading that.
You're the type that when entering an all-you-can-eat buffet the owner
sighs "Gonna lose money on this guy". Smile

> Now, please excuse me, while I let out a horrific belch...like we'd
> do when we drank a whole 12 ounce bottle of Dr. Pepper. <G>

Can't stand Dr Pepper, tastes like cough medicine to me.

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Sat, 31.10.20 11:11
Re: it's hard surviving..
Joe,

> JM> There is so much to see here that I haven't.
>
> You haven't what?? Looks like you haven't seen that typo, either. <g,d,r>

JM> Haven't seen. Smile

OK, it didn't register when I first read it.

JM> And so many of the places it was drive by and look and visit "later".

Well, I'm looking forward to that "one final train trip next June". Sorry I
won't be able to stop off in your neck of the woods, as it were.

JM> I got stuffed just reading that.

Just like the turkeys thinking one of their own is "going to the dentist
to get his cavity filled". <G>

JM> You're the type that when entering an all-you-can-eat buffet the
JM> owner sighs "Gonna lose money on this guy". Smile

My brother and a friend were literally banned from one restaurant, for all
the grazing damage they did to the buffet.

> Now, please excuse me, while I let out a horrific belch...like we'd
> do when we drank a whole 12 ounce bottle of Dr. Pepper. <G>

JM> Can't stand Dr Pepper, tastes like cough medicine to me.

I usually drink sweet tea when I'm out on errands...otherwise, it's just
flavored water.

Daryl

... We should back the Metric System every inch of the way.

From: JOE MACKEY (1:123/140)
To: All
Date: Mon, 02.11.20 07:54
Re: it's hard surviving..
Daryl wrote --

> Well, I'm looking forward to that "one final train trip next June". Sorry I
won't be able to stop off in your neck of the woods, as it were.

==whew. Dodged that bullet==

> My brother and a friend were literally banned from one restaurant, for all
the grazing damage they did to the buffet.

At a former Chinese place up the street a co-worker and his family were
dining out one time. The guys brother was really putting it away when the
owner of the place stopped at his table, wagged her finger at him and said
"you eat more than small village" a

> I usually drink sweet tea when I'm out on errands...otherwise, it's just
flavored water.

My tea is unsweetened.
At home its coffee in the morning, then iced tea (year round). In the
winter I'll have hot tea at times, also unsweetened.
Once in a great while I might have a pop. I brought a 12 pack in the
spring and still have three/four cans left.
Now if I'm eating out I'll have a pop, since both are considered a treat.

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Tue, 03.11.20 07:29
Re: it's hard surviving..
Joe,

> Well, I'm looking forward to that "one final train trip next June". Sorry

JM> won't be able to stop off in your neck of the woods, as it were.

JM> ==whew. Dodged that bullet==

You're all heart, Joe. Razz

JM> At a former Chinese place up the street a co-worker and his family
JM> were dining out one time. The guys brother was really putting it away
JM> when the owner of the place stopped at his table, wagged her finger at
JM> him and said "you eat more than small village" a

He probably replied "It takes a village". Razz

JM> My tea is unsweetened.

Heretic!! To the stake with you, and get the fire lit!! Razz

JM> At home its coffee in the morning, then iced tea (year round). In
JM> the winter I'll have hot tea at times, also unsweetened.

I was never one for hot beverages.

JM> Once in a great while I might have a pop. I brought a 12 pack in the
JM> spring and still have three/four cans left.

I need to get some more flavored water.

JM> Now if I'm eating out I'll have a pop, since both are considered a
JM> treat.

I'm still drinking sweet tea, as it's a diurectic.

Daryl

... I talk to myself when I need expert advice.

From: JOE MACKEY (1:123/140)
To: All
Date: Wed, 04.11.20 06:48
Re: it's hard surviving..
Daryl wrote --

> JM> My tea is unsweetened.
>
> Heretic!! To the stake with you, and get the fire lit!! Razz

May I have a glass of unsweetened iced tea first?

> JM> the winter I'll have hot tea at times, also unsweetened.
>
> I was never one for hot beverages.

My hot drinks are mostly just in the mornings.
I have a limit of three cups of coffee. After that, no matter who makes
it, it begins to taste like liquid rubber.

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Thu, 05.11.20 11:28
Re: it's hard surviving..
Joe,

> JM> My tea is unsweetened.
>
> Heretic!! To the stake with you, and get the fire lit!! Razz

JM> May I have a glass of unsweetened iced tea first?

I'll do what Leroy Van Dyke (who wrote the song "The Auctioneer"
in the late 1950's) told Bill Anderson in response to his question
of "How do you stay looking so young??". He replied sarcastically
that "My wife puts formaldehyde in my coffee every morning". <BG>

He was then told that "It must be nice to have a family member
who is a doctor". He replied "My brother is a doctor, but he does
not do a thing for me...he's a gynecologist". <BG>

JM> I have a limit of three cups of coffee. After that, no matter who
JM> makes it, it begins to taste like liquid rubber.

I'm not sure if it's a diuretic like tea...but if it is, the way
I've seen some people drink it, they're making repeated potty runs.

Daryl

... Chain Lightning: For when you can't stop with one bolt.

From: JOE MACKEY (1:123/140)
To: All
Date: Fri, 06.11.20 06:46
Re: it's hard surviving..
Daryl wrote --

> I'm not sure if it's a diuretic like tea...but if it is, the way
> I've seen some people drink it, they're making repeated potty runs.

It can be for me in cooler weather when working outside.
Take a sip and go, take a sip and go.

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Mon, 09.11.20 10:11
Re: it's hard surviving..
Joe,

> I'm not sure if it's a diuretic like tea...but if it is, the way
> I've seen some people drink it, they're making repeated potty runs.

JM> It can be for me in cooler weather when working outside.
JM> Take a sip and go, take a sip and go.

That's because the cold weather makes ones urinary bladder shrink.
And, that's for both men and women.

I think of the joke where Momma has potty trained her daughter
(all of us have to go through it, when we're young and old...as
success is not peeing in your pants <G>). They would travel in
the summer, and stop off at interstate highway rest stops for a
picnic lunch (this was long before you had to worry about predators
and perverts frequenting these places).

Anyway, she taught her daughter to look for the LONGER sign...
WOMEN versus MEN. This was the case until they got to a certain
rest area, and it was LADIES and GENTLEMEN (guess which one is
longer?? <G>).

Well, the little girl walks into the men's room, and here's
this little boy, naked as a jaybird, and she sees his member,
and asks "What are you doing?? What have you got there??". After
he tells her, she says "Boy!! That's a handy thing to have along
at picnics!!".

I would've loved to have seen the look on her Momma's face
when she told her!! <G>

I likely have told this before...but I wish all jokes were
this cute.

Daryl

... "We want the red dildo on the wall". "Nope, that's our fire extinguisher".

From: JOE MACKEY (1:123/140)
To: All
Date: Tue, 10.11.20 06:56
Re: it's hard surviving..
Daryl wrote --

> he tells her, she says "Boy!! That's a handy thing to have along
> at picnics!!".

Reminds me of the joke where the Catholic boy and Protestant girl were
checking each other out and the girl says "I didn't know there was that big a
difference between Protestants and Catholics".