Fidonet Portal

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: All
Date: Tue, 20.10.20 13:02
ES Picture of the Day 20 2020
EPOD - a service of USRA

The Earth Science Picture of the Day (EPOD) highlights the diverse processes
and phenomena which shape our planet and our lives. EPOD will collect and
archive photos, imagery, graphics, and artwork with short explanatory
captions and links exemplifying features within the Earth system. The
community is invited to contribute digital imagery, short captions and
relevant links.

Iceberg Lagoon

October 20, 2020

Salvatore Cerruto B

Photographer: Salvatore Cerruto
Summary Authors: Salvatore Cerruto; Stu Witmer

Iceland is truly a geologically rich land. The Jökulsa'rlo'n
(Icelandic for glacial river lagoon) holds great charm for visitors.
This lagoon is populated by icebergs that originate from the
Breiðamerkurjökull glacier, an arm of the massive
Vatnajökull Ice Cap, the largest ice cap in Europe. In 1935
increasing amounts of silt began to build the lagoon which then
grew quickly. Today, erosion continues to increase the area of the
lagoon. Breiðamerkurjökull was formed during the Little Ice Age (c
1300 -1850). When I saw the iceberg pictured above, I was amazed by the
colors that stood out like a diamond on a gray day. Standing there
looking at it for a while I began to feel a very strong connection with
nature.
* Jökulsa'rlo'n, Iceland Coordinates: 64.070278, -16.211667

Related EPODs

Iceberg Lagoon EPOD 20th - Rideau River Pancake Ice EPOD
20th - Lake Michigan Ice Balls Recurrence EPOD 20th - Hair Ice
EPOD 20th - Snow Crystals In February Snowfalls EPOD 20th -
Microscopic View of Frost on Blade of Grass
More...

Cryosphere Links

* Guide to Frost
* What is the Cryosphere?
* Bentley Snow Crystals
* Glaciers of the World
* Ice, Snow, and Glaciers: The Water Cycle
* The National Snow and Ice Data Center Google Earth Images
* Snow and Ice Crystals

-
Earth Science Picture of the Day is a service of the Universities
Space Research Association.

https://epod.usra.edu

--- up 8 weeks, 20 hours, 21 minutes
* Origin: -=> Castle Rock BBS <=- Now Husky HPT Powered! (1:317/3)