Fidonet Portal

From: Ardith Hinton (1:153/716)
To: All
Date: Sat, 26.09.20 16:56
A few questions
Hi, Alexander! Recently you wrote in a message to All:

AK> From "The Gun Seller", by Hugh Laurie.

Ah, thank you for sourcing this excerpt at the outset. I understand
much more clearly what's going on when I know the author is British.... Smile

AK> I was ushered into a large, oak-panelled room, with
AK> shelves of Regina versus The Rest Of The World on
AK> three walls, and a row of wooden filing cabinets
AK> along the fourth.

As with Agatha Christie's stories, a person's surroundings & the way
s/he is dressed speak volumes. I gather this man specializes in criminal law.

AK> There was a photograph on the desk of three
AK> teenage children, who looked as if they'd been
AK> bought from a catalogue,

Or sent to the "right" schools, at least. :-Q

AK> and next to it, a signed picture of Denis Thatcher.

Margaret Thatcher's husband, a political conservative.... Smile

AK> I was chewing on the peculiar fact that both these
AK> photographs were pointing outwards from the desk,
AK> when a connecting door opened, and I was suddenly
AK> in the presence of Spencer.

AK> And quite a presence it was. He was a taller version
AK> of Rex Harrison, with greying hair, half-moon spectacles
AK> and a shirt so white it must have been running off the
AK> mains. I didn't actually see him start the clock as he
AK> sat down.

AK> 1. What is "half-moon spectacles"?

Folks who have presbyopia, a type of far-sightedness associated with
advancing age, may wear glasses for "close work" such as reading but push them
farther down on their nose or take them off when they are speaking to somebody
on the other side of the desk. If the problem is fairly minor & they can make
do with whatever the local drug store has to offer, they may be able to get by
that way. Prescription glasses, while they are more costly, allow for a range
of options including "half-sized" lenses which make such antics unnecessary.

AK> 2. "a shirt so white it must have been running off the
AK> mains"?

The whiteness of his shirt was dazzling, like that of a bright light
... from which I conclude he could afford to have it professionally laundered.

AK> 3. "I didn't actually see him start the clock as he
AK> sat down."
AK> Which clock?

I imagine this man would normally charge by the hour for his work...
and would be keeping track of how much time he spent with the narrator even if
nobody saw him doing it. The context appears to suggest this was not a social
visit & these two individuals had never met in person before.

I hope my comments are of some assistance.... Smile

--- timEd/386 1.10.y2k+
* Origin: Wits' End, Vancouver CANADA (1:153/716)