Fidonet Portal

From: Al (1:153/757.2)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 23.09.20 15:37
export areas.bbs
> I am looking for a way to export the nameareas on my BBS to areas.bbs format.
> From what I read there was a program for windows UTILBBS but for ubuntu?

There was a utility called mbbsutil (i think) that could do this. You may be
able to grab an older version of Mystic and get that utility.

Most of mbbsutil's features are built into mutil now, but not the ability to
write out an areas.bbs.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 23.09.20 20:18
Re: export areas.bbs
Al> There was a utility called mbbsutil (i think) that could do this. You
Al> may be able to grab an older version of Mystic and get that utility.
Al>
Al> Most of mbbsutil's features are built into mutil now, but not the
Al> ability to write out an areas.bbs.

I didn't realize there wasn't an export in MUTIL until you said that!

I should probably fix that. I don't really remember the format of AREAS.BBS
these days though so I will need to find a refresher. I remember it being
pretty (too) simple.

Its minimal effort to add it to MUTIL so I can whip it up in no time.

* Origin: Sector 7 | Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 24.09.20 08:34
Re: export areas.bbs
RS> terminal windows in pi? If that didnt make sense, I have larger
RS> terminal windows (older eyes) and when I fire up mis or local login it

Sounds like you want to increase the font size if you're goal is to make it
easier on the eyes. Increasing the window size and not the font size will
only make it same/more difficult to read.

If you're using a terminal from the desktop you'd probably want to go to
preferences, select the terminal font, and then increase the "Size" slider.

* Origin: Sector 7 | Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 25.09.20 20:48
Re: export areas.bbs
PM> gr> I should probably fix that. I don't really remember the format of
PM> gr> AREAS.BBS these days though so I will need to find a refresher. I
PM> gr> remember it being pretty (too) simple.
PM>
PM> gr> Its minimal effort to add it to MUTIL so I can whip it up in no time.
PM>
PM> Thankyou

I have added the AREAS.BBS export into MUTIL tonight and updated the A47
prealpha releases for Windows and Linux to include this.

* Origin: Sector 7 | Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: Ib Joe (1:342/201)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 25.09.20 19:53
Re: export areas.bbs
Hey g00r00...

There is an issue you are aware of... so I'm told... When I use SSH I cannot
use doors, the system hangs up on me. If I use the Door Party Server I
connect fine. If I try to use the individual doors they hang... I was told
you were aware of the problem

Smile
Great BBS... Thanx

IB Joe
AKA Joe Schweier
SysOp of Joe's BBS
-=JoesBBS.com=-

* Origin: Joe's BBS, JoesBBS.com, Telnet:23 SSH:22 HTTPS:80 (1:342/201)

From: Chad Adams (1:19/37)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 26.09.20 04:48
Re: export areas.bbs
Mutil! Not many people export areas.bbs anymore.

Sbbs is basically local Id <tab> area tag <tab> uplinks (or downlinks)

Local-gen-Chat GEN_CHAT 1:1:/1 2:1/1

Etc.

--
yrNews Usenet Reader for iOS
http://appstore.com/yrNewsUsenetReader

--- Mystic BBS/NNTP v1.12 A47 2020/09/12 (Linux/64)
* Origin: The ByteXchange BBS | bbs.thebytexchange.com (1:19/37)

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 26.09.20 10:57
Re: export areas.bbs
IJ> There is an issue you are aware of... so I'm told... When I use SSH I
IJ> cannot use doors, the system hangs up on me. If I use the Door Party
IJ> Server I connect fine. If I try to use the individual doors they
IJ> hang... I was told you were aware of the problem

Yes that isn't an issue with Mystic specifically though.

I don't know what your trying to run but your tear line says Mystic 64-bit, so
I can only assume you're trying to run DOOR32 doors over SSH which will not
work. You would need to bridge the connection with telnet or use a DOS version
of the door in Windows 32-bit and allow Mystic to redirect its FOSSIL
communications.

If you want to run doors well you're best bet for compatibility is to use
Windows 32-bit not 64-bit Windows and DOS versions of the doors.

* Origin: Sector 7 | Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: Ib Joe (1:342/201)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 26.09.20 10:44
Re: export areas.bbs
On 26 Sep 2020, g00r00 said the following...
g0> Yes that isn't an issue with Mystic specifically though.
g0>
g0> I don't know what your trying to run but your tear line says Mystic
g0> 64-bit, so I can only assume you're trying to run DOOR32 doors over SSH
g0> which will not work. You would need to bridge the connection with
g0> telnet or use a DOS version of the door in Windows 32-bit and allow
g0> Mystic to redirect its FOSSIL communications.
g0>
g0> If you want to run doors well you're best bet for compatibility is to use
g0> Windows 32-bit not 64-bit Windows and DOS versions of the doors.
g0>

To be honest I'm setting up a game server to handle all my needs. I'll judt
do that... and problem solved!!!

Smile

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 26.09.20 17:56
Re: export areas.bbs
IJ> To be honest I'm setting up a game server to handle all my needs. I'll
IJ> judt do that... and problem solved!!!

If you mean connecting to someone else's game server then yes thats the easiest
way to go! Let someone else do all the hard work! Smile

But if you mean setting up a game server of your own then you'll run into the
same types of problems unfortunately. Windows 64-bit just isn't the best
platform for running a door-heavy BBS because of its lack of DOS support.

* Origin: Sector 7 | Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: Ib Joe (1:342/201)
To: n/a
Date: Sat, 26.09.20 20:52
Re: export areas.bbs
On 26 Sep 2020, g00r00 said the following...

g0> IJ> To be honest I'm setting up a game server to handle all my needs. I'
g0> IJ> judt do that... and problem solved!!!
g0>
g0> If you mean connecting to someone else's game server then yes thats the
g0> easiest way to go! Let someone else do all the hard work! Smile
g0>
g0> But if you mean setting up a game server of your own then you'll run
g0> into the same types of problems unfortunately. Windows 64-bit just
g0> isn't the best platform for running a door-heavy BBS because of its lack
g0> of DOS support.
g0>

Doing both... I have a windows 10 32Bit VM running gamesrv on it. I had some
32bit doors working on Mystic /64Bit... Anyway, as long as it's not me...