Fidonet Portal

From: Alexander Koryagin (2:221/6)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 23.09.20 14:54
A few questions
Hi, All!

From "The Gun Seller", by Hugh Laurie.
A few questions for the second paragraph:

-----Beginning of the citation-----
I was ushered into a large, oak-panelled room, with
shelves of Regina versus The Rest Of The World on three
walls, and a row of wooden filing cabinets along the
fourth. There was a photograph on the desk of three
teenage children, who looked as if they'd been bought
from a catalogue, and next to it, a signed picture of
Denis Thatcher. I was chewing on the peculiar fact that
both these photographs were pointing outwards from the
desk, when a connecting door opened, and I was suddenly
in the presence of Spencer.

And quite a presence it was. He was a taller version of
Rex Harrison, with greying hair, half-moon spectacles
and a shirt so white it must have been running off the
mains. I didn't actually see him start the clock as he
sat down.
----- The end of the citation -----

1. What is "half-moon spectacles"?

2. "a shirt so white it must have been running off the
mains"?

3. "I didn't actually see him start the clock as he
sat down."
Which clock?

Bye, All!

Alexander Koryagin

---
* Origin: nntps://news.fidonet.fi (2:221/6.0)