Fidonet Portal

From: Dan Richter (1:317/3)
To: All
Date: Sat, 19.09.20 13:00
ES Picture of the Day 19 2020
EPOD - a service of USRA

The Earth Science Picture of the Day (EPOD) highlights the diverse processes
and phenomena which shape our planet and our lives. EPOD will collect and
archive photos, imagery, graphics, and artwork with short explanatory
captions and links exemplifying features within the Earth system. The
community is invited to contribute digital imagery, short captions and
relevant links.

EPOD 20th - Aerial View of Danakil Depression

September 19, 2020

DANAKILDEP
We’re celebrating 20 years of Earth Science Picture of the Day during
the month of September! Today’s photo features a popular EPOD from the
past. Thanks to all of our followers (on the blog, Facebook, Instagram
and Twitter) for supporting us. Thanks also to all of you who’ve
submitted your photos. We’re most appreciative. This EPOD was
originally published April 16, 2016.

Photographer: Joel Santos
Summary Author: Joel Santos

April 2016 Viewer's Choice Shown above is an aerial photograph of
the Danakil Depression region of Ethiopia showing patterns of
harvested salt (top and bottom) and a caravan of miners and
dromedaries (center) on their way to the salt extraction sites.
At these sites chunks of salt are cut like bricks and then loaded on
the camels. Note their shadows (traveling north) in the low Sun on
the trail at right-center.
The ‪Danakil‬ Depression, also known as the Afar Depression, is
located below sea level. Salt deposits here result from the Red
Sea periodically flooding the depression and then
evaporating. However, the most recent such flood occurred roughly
30,000 years ago. Click here to see the impressive, aerial video
footage from this region. Photo taken on March 8, 2016.
* Danakil Depression, ‪Ethiopia Coordinates: 14.2418, 40.3004
-
Earth Science Picture of the Day is a service of the Universities
Space Research Association.

https://epod.usra.edu

--- up 3 weeks, 4 days, 20 hours, 20 minutes
* Origin: -=> Castle Rock BBS <=- Now Husky HPT Powered! (1:317/3)